Options for a lopsided comp

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Options for a lopsided comp

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hi Folks,

I seriously cant recall any professional sporting competition which I've known of or viewed that is as lopsided as the AFL competition is now. Its a real shambles at the moment with 4 teams that are utter basketcases and cannot compete with the rest of the teams, 3 or 4 teams competing at a professional level and the rest of the sides are simply making up numbers in the middle of the comp. Its utterly clear this is the way the comp will progress for the rest of the season which is why I'd like people to please put in your ideas for resolving this sad state of affairs. Currently there clearly isnt enough talent to have as many sides as they do in the comp so:

Could the head honchos down at AFL HQ cull some teams to improve the competition?

Could there perhaps be a setup like the English premier league with the lowest 4 teams dropping down into 1st division and the following year the winners of first division could rise into the premier comp in the place of the last team?

Should the AFL stop wasting their money on gold diggers like Khunt and instead put it into junior talent programs to build the talent pool?

Should the AFL change its name to the southern football league and get rid of melbourne, gold coast, gws and brisbane?

These are just some thoughts you might agree with but please feel free to add your own folks and once we've reached saturation in this thread i'll compile the options and send them on down to AFL HQ. :)

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: Options for a lopsided comp

Post by eelofwest »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Hi Folks,

I seriously cant recall any professional sporting competition which I've known of or viewed that is as lopsided as the AFL competition is now. Its a real shambles at the moment with 4 teams that are utter basketcases and cannot compete with the rest of the teams, 3 or 4 teams competing at a professional level and the rest of the sides are simply making up numbers in the middle of the comp. Its utterly clear this is the way the comp will progress for the rest of the season which is why I'd like people to please put in your ideas for resolving this sad state of affairs. Currently there clearly isnt enough talent to have as many sides as they do in the comp so:

Could the head honchos down at AFL HQ cull some teams to improve the competition?

Could there perhaps be a setup like the English premier league with the lowest 4 teams dropping down into 1st division and the following year the winners of first division could rise into the premier comp in the place of the last team?

Should the AFL stop wasting their money on gold diggers like Khunt and instead put it into junior talent programs to build the talent pool?

Should the AFL change its name to the southern football league and get rid of melbourne, gold coast, gws and brisbane?

These are just some thoughts you might agree with but please feel free to add your own folks and once we've reached saturation in this thread i'll compile the options and send them on down to AFL HQ. :)
Ill be the First to have a crack.

1. Get other countries into thier game so that they have more depth in thier competition.
2. Change the name Aussie rules to something else, i mean imagine a pommy or a Kiwi running onto the MCG playing a game called Auzzie Rules lol these countries want touch the game at a pro level while it holds that name aossie Ruullzzzz. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3. Slow down expansion because atm the blowouts are a joke. And the Blowout teams are doomed to fail if there getting flogged week in week out.

To be contin........ 4,5,6,7 comon guys give us your own opinions on how we can fix this problem for the AFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Meanwhile the Suns are only 5 points down at half time tonight against the Bombers. Close game between Port and Sydney today too.
justanotherleaguefan
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Newcastle Knights

Post by justanotherleaguefan »

They should recruit from PNG. Apparently they have more participants than Rugby League
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

What a tosser the op looks like!

So far this round the AFL have had 2 blow outs, with one involving collingwood, one of last years grand finalists. The suns are actually beating the bombers in front of a decent crowd.

Meanwhile in the NRL this round we have also seen two complete blowouts with a 50-12 and 30-6 scoreline!

How dumb are you KE! #-o
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

Xman wrote:

So far this round the AFL have had 2 blow outs, with one involving collingwood, one of last years grand finalists. The suns are actually beating the bombers in front of a decent crowd.

Meanwhile in the NRL this round we have also seen two complete blowouts with a 50-12 and 30-6 scoreline!

How dumb are you KE! #-o
Rubbish they have had 3 Xman, Fremantle vs Brisbane was a flogging

Fremantle Brisbane

1.4 (10) Q1 2.1 (13)

4.7 (31) Q2 3.2 (20)

6.13 (49) Q3 5.3 (33)

8.16 (64) Q4 5.5 (35)

That's a flogging in anyone's book.

Both teams committed a glut of unforced errors, with the wayward Dockers failing to fully capitalise on a staggering 52-20 inside-50m advantage.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 6326537680 this would have been a huge flogging if they could kick straight.

Anyway back on topic Mr Xman, FFS man stop taking threads of topic i swear your special :lol: :lol:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:

How dumb are you KE! #-o
Rubbish they have had 3 Xman, Fremantle vs Brisbane was a flogging

Fremantle Brisbane

1.4 (10) Q1 2.1 (13)

4.7 (31) Q2 3.2 (20)

6.13 (49) Q3 5.3 (33)

8.16 (64) Q4 5.5 (35)

That's a flogging in anyone's book.

Both teams committed a glut of unforced errors, with the wayward Dockers failing to fully capitalise on a staggering 52-20 inside-50m advantage.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 6326537680 this would have been a huge flogging if they could kick straight.

Anyway back on topic Mr Xman, FFS man stop taking threads of topic i swear your special :lol: :lol:
What the hell would you know? A five goal win will never be considered a flogging and nor should it!

FMD!
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman everyone knows Brisbane were utterly outclassed yest by an underperforming Freo. Brisbane are officially basketcases, as are Melb, the GC and GWS. Sure these teams might have a lucky spurt of good play every now and then but 9 times out of ten they are completely uncompetitive. Things need to change and fast so the AFL retains some credibility as a professional competition because right now, as i said, there's an inexcusable chasm between the first four teams and the next 6 or so sides, then light years away we have brissy, GC, GWS and MElb.

Eels and justa thanks for your contributions, they are very helpful and thought provoking.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman everyone knows Brisbane were utterly outclassed yest by an underperforming Freo. Brisbane are officially basketcases, as are Melb, the GC and GWS. Sure these teams might have a lucky spurt of good play every now and then but 9 times out of ten they are completely uncompetitive. Things need to change and fast so the AFL retains some credibility as a professional competition because right now, as i said, there's an inexcusable chasm between the first four teams and the next 6 or so sides, then light years away we have brissy, GC, GWS and MElb.

Eels and justa thanks for your contributions, they are very helpful and thought provoking.
I know you know nothing about ARs but let me let you in on a little secret: poor kicking is poor football!

The dockers may have dominated around the ground but if they failed to convert they didn't deserve to win by more than 5 goals. They will do this to more than the lions this year.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

So are you saying we should put the dockers in the basketcase list?

I personally think they're on the border having watched them against sydney the other week. They really were ordinary. But the inside 50's count against bris shows the game was completely dominated by freo so for now I'm keeping them in the middle AFL division.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
So are you saying we should put the dockers in the basketcase list?

I personally think they're on the border having watched them against sydney the other week. They really were ordinary. But the inside 50's count against bris shows the game was completely dominated by freo so for now I'm keeping them in the middle AFL division.
So now Freo are uncompetitive too? :-k

Hmm, Geelong must be too since Freo beat Geelong! :-k

And that means hawthorn are as well since Geelong beat hawthorn! :-k

#-o
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

No freo are in the middle division. You were the one who initially suggested freo were uncompetitive.

Its just melb brissy gws and gc for now xman. Although there's several sides that seem to be vying for a spot in the basketcase league.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
No freo are in the middle division. You were the one who initially suggested freo were uncompetitive.

Its just melb brissy gws and gc for now xman. Although there's several sides that seem to be vying for a spot in the basketcase league.
Ok, specifically define your interpretation of an uncompetitive team :-k
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

A team that consistently cannot compete at the same level of the competition they are in. A team that is thrashed thoroughly for the vast majority of the games they are competing in.

Lets face it Xman, there's plenty of vfl teams who would be more competitive than melb brissy gws and gc.

Now provide some options for addressing this lopsided competition or kindly leave this thread [-X

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
A team that consistently cannot compete at the same level of the competition they are in. A team that is thrashed thoroughly for the vast majority of the games they are competing in.

Lets face it Xman, there's plenty of vfl teams who would be more competitive than melb brissy gws and gc.

Now provide some options for addressing this lopsided competition or kindly leave this thread [-X
So can they win a game and still be described uncompetitive?