The most skillful sport RL v AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

The most skillful sport RL v AFL

Post by Dogs »

Here is a good topic that always get everyone going over a beer when the vicky kickies boys from my work are in town. Going by the Brute Australia's Greatest Athlete challenge's RL players are more skillfull and better all round sportsman hands down. 3 serious results as follows:
Season 1 (Note: AFL no contestant) - Won by RL Billy Slater - 2009
Season 2 - Won by RL Billy Slater, Cameron Ling 6th out of 8 - 2010
Season 3 - Won by RU Quade Cooper, RL 4th Kurt Gidley, AFL 6th Luke Hodge - 2011

For those who are not familiar with this show, here is a blurb from the wiki below: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia' ... st_Athlete
The show pits eight of Australia's most talented athletes against each other in various sporting challenges and events, earning points for their rankings. The overall winner receives money which will then be donated to a charity of their choice. Melbourne Storm and Australian Kangaroos fullback Billy Slater was the overall champion of the first season, and returned to defend the title for the second season. Queensland Reds and Australian Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper was the overall champion of the third season.

To get the ball rolling:
Boys and Girls, you learn to kick and catch as a 3-5 year old, mum and dad don't seem get as excited after that. Therefore, I am not so sure why you AFL supporters nearly wet your pants every time one of your players does catch it. Then you give them the next 5-10 seconds where no-one is allowed near them. So if they can't kick it were they want it to go in those circumstance, then I would say there a little bit special, not a fantastic sportsperson.

Lastly, the above challenge seems to speak for itself, when RL and AFL players are challenged against each other over a wide range of sports, the RL players outshine the AFL players that are faster, stronger and have better all round ability.
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Re: The most skillful sport RL v AFL

Post by eelofwest »

Dogs wrote:
Here is a good topic that always get everyone going over a beer when the vicky kickies boys from my work are in town. Going by the Brute Australia's Greatest Athlete challenge's RL players are more skillfull and better all round sportsman hands down. 3 serious results as follows:
Season 1 (Note: AFL no contestant) - Won by RL Billy Slater - 2009
Season 2 - Won by RL Billy Slater, Cameron Ling 6th out of 8 - 2010
Season 3 - Won by RU Quade Cooper, RL 4th Kurt Gidley, AFL 6th Luke Hodge - 2011

For those who are not familiar with this show, here is a blurb from the wiki below: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia' ... st_Athlete
The show pits eight of Australia's most talented athletes against each other in various sporting challenges and events, earning points for their rankings. The overall winner receives money which will then be donated to a charity of their choice. Melbourne Storm and Australian Kangaroos fullback Billy Slater was the overall champion of the first season, and returned to defend the title for the second season. Queensland Reds and Australian Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper was the overall champion of the third season.

To get the ball rolling:
Boys and Girls, you learn to kick and catch as a 3-5 year old, mum and dad don't seem get as excited after that. Therefore, I am not so sure why you AFL supporters nearly wet your pants every time one of your players does catch it. Then you give them the next 5-10 seconds where no-one is allowed near them. So if they can't kick it were they want it to go in those circumstance, then I would say there a little bit special, not a fantastic sportsperson.

Lastly, the above challenge seems to speak for itself, when RL and AFL players are challenged against each other over a wide range of sports, the RL players outshine the AFL players that are faster, stronger and have better all round ability.
I watched the first 2 seasons, Billy Slater is the best competitor i have ever seen.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

1. The thread title describes skill, yet the proof comes in the form of a competition of athleticism! #-o

2. Using this rexona comp as proof is rediculous! Slater would beat everyone in Australia no matter what the code. Ling wouldn't even beat his teammates at Geelong. Using a single player as proof of the superiority of an entire code is a joke! It's like saying Melbourne storm are the most athletic team in the NRL because of of slater.

3. The rexona comp was for athleticism not ball handling skills. In fact the AFL component had players having set shots at goal. Yet players were allowed to grub goals along the ground from set shots which would never happen in a set shot in AFL. There would be players in the goal square stopping the ball. Ling should have won this part but was essentially beaten by a guy who kicked the ball along the ground. In fact the afl players were the only players who could make the distance from 50metres and should have therefore been the only ones who scored.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Wow, the AFL player lost the goalkicking comp. :lol:

Oh and Xman fyi, goalkicking is a skill not athleticism. :wink: :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Oh dear, a Rexona tv competition where 1 player is selected from various codes is used to determine which code is more skillful. Still the fool we all know you for I see Dogs. :oops:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Wow, the AFL player lost the goalkicking comp. :lol:

Oh and Xman fyi, goalkicking is a skill not athleticism. :wink: :lol:
It was essentially the only ball skill area in the comp. he kicked 5 goals one point from set shots with the only miss from 50metres. The guys who won shouldnt have score as much because his set shot kicks from 50 meters only went about 30 meters but we're counted as goals because they rolled through. As you would know this would never happen in a game of afl from a set shot! :wink: therefore long should have won.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

It happens from set shots from time to time so please dont say never. And if it went through it was a goal. Amazing stuff from whomever beat ling.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
It happens from set shots from time to time so please dont say never. And if it went through it was a goal. Amazing stuff from whomever beat ling.
Ok, so please show me an example of a set shot from 50metres that only carried 30metres and rolled through for a goal!

You really do know NOTHING about ARs! :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I've seen plenty of occassions where a team simply forget to get players into the goal square and the ball rolls on in. It doesnt happen often but it does happen. MAybe I've watched more games than you Xman?

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I've seen plenty of occassions where a team simply forget to get players into the goal square and the ball rolls on in. It doesnt happen often but it does happen. MAybe I've watched more games than you Xman?
There are times that a ball can clear the pack in the goal square and go through.

This is NOT what I described! #-o the guy who won goaled from a kick that went 30metres and rolled 20mtres, from a set shot! :lol:

Any examples KE?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Heaps of examples. I recall Goodsey did one like that last year. It was meant to be a pass and he got a great bounce. There was only 2 players (one from each side) hovering around the goal square in front of him.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Heaps of examples. I recall Goodsey did one like that last year. It was meant to be a pass and he got a great bounce. There was only 2 players (one from each side) hovering around the goal square in front of him.
Bs

I have never ever seen someone kick a set shot at goal from 50mtres and watch it go only 30 meters in the air and roll through. Maybe a running shot with no one ahead of the kicker, but never a set shot with players in the square like they would always be if it was a set shot.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

It happens and ive seen it more than once. You should probably watch more games.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
It happens and ive seen it more than once. You should probably watch more games.
Lol

I've watched ARs for many decades, and played plenty too. Never ever seen it. It's laughable! :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Maybe you were too busy looking at the crowds or checking the tv ratings to see such an occurrence Xman?

xman wrote: