AFL - fittest players in the world of professional sport

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: AFL - fittest players in the world of professional sport

Post by King-Eliagh »

They're running in squads beauassie. And by the looks of it the swans are grimacing more.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

No they are not. Just admit RL players can't keep up with AFL players. The stats and reports prove this.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I recall a tv show, forget the name but its been cited here a few times where they tested fitness and skills of players and the afl player came near last or last and the league player, billy slater won it.

xman wrote:
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Been liked: 0

Post by cos789 »

Beaussie wrote:
No they are not. Just admit RL players can't keep up with AFL players. The stats and reports prove this.
Give up. Sookie babies cannot handle the truth that they are not the biggest and best at everything.

Guys, the nrl is best at having the slowest, thickest, dumbest and hack players.
The nrl is best at coming second second.
The nrl is best at copying the AFL.
The nrl is best at stuffing things up.
The nrl is best at fudging membership figures.
The nrl is best at manipulating ratings figures.
The nrl is best at spinnining disasters as advantages.
The nrl is best at having big heads.
Nice try Cos.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Oh dear another boring cos style post. So repetitive and lame. Hey beaussie when's that ghost town 'international fight club forum' being torn down and cos's million posts on the same topic deleted into cyberspace?

And to get back on topic. Wheres the evidence these players are running for the whole 14k per game? Beaussie's graph says they "cover" 14. Of which I'd estimate 4k are walked.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I recall a tv show, forget the name but its been cited here a few times where they tested fitness and skills of players and the afl player came near last or last and the league player, billy slater won it.
Even someone as thick as you should realise a single sample is meaningless. Billy Slater is a decent athlete but by no means represents your entire code. Most are slow, stupid and unfit.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Oh dear another boring cos style post. So repetitive and lame. Hey beaussie when's that ghost town 'international fight club forum' being torn down and cos's million posts on the same topic deleted into cyberspace?

And to get back on topic. Wheres the evidence these players are running for the whole 14k per game? Beaussie's graph says they "cover" 14. Of which I'd estimate 4k are walked.
http://www.kangaroos.com.au/news/newsar ... fault.aspx
AFL PLAYERS are on the field for longer, and run further, than any other mainstream professional sport in the world.

GPS data reveals AFL players, on average, run 14km a match on the League's biggest ground, Patersons Stadium.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Well of course "on the Leagues biggest ground". That's sampling from a single location. Hey Xman, 'ave a listen to yourself and suck it up will ya
Xman wrote:
Even someone as thick as you should realise a single sample is meaningless.
:lol:

You're a thickhead Xman. :lol:

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Well of course "on the Leagues biggest ground". That's sampling from a single location. Hey Xman, 'ave a listen to yourself and suck it up will ya
Xman wrote:
Even someone as thick as you should realise a single sample is meaningless.
:lol:

You're a thickhead Xman. :lol:
That's multiple samples from one source knucklehead
players run on average 13km at the MCG, one kilometre less than at Patersons Stadium.
new studies have revealed that defenders run the most, travelling an average distance of 13.5km per match.

Forwards run 12.89km a match and nomadic players (midfielders, utilities, and ruckmen) run 13.46km a match.
These are averages. Some players run more
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Sampling from one source is no better than single samples Xman. Its quite meaningless in the scope of things.

And yes, thanks for indicating your bias. "Those are averages, some players run" LESS. :wink:

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Sampling from one source is no better than single samples Xman. Its quite meaningless in the scope of things.
Oh rubbish. A single sample is prone to massive errors. Multiple samples, even from one source, at least erradicate the outliers. The dats from smaller grounds showed a difference of less than 10%.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Multiple samples from one source dont eradicate outliers. Rather, in this case the stats from other sources eradicate the outliers. Fair enough, AFL players on avg run (i think they may have counted the walking too in this research as theres nothing definitively saying they didnt) about 13.2 ks. Only 3ks more than RL players who play during a much shorter time period.

Which sport's more intense re fitness? Rugby League of course! Add to their runnning further compared to the time they have, they also tackle much more and harder. Tough extremely high levels of fitness required.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Multiple samples from one source dont eradicate outliers. Rather, in this case the stats from other sources eradicate the outliers. Fair enough, AFL players on avg run (i think they may have counted the walking too in this research as theres nothing definitively saying they didnt) about 13.2 ks. Only 3ks more than RL players who play during a much shorter time period.

Which sport's more intense re fitness? Rugby League of course! Add to their runnning further compared to the time they have, they also tackle much more and harder. Tough extremely high levels of fitness required.
Wrong! The report says the NRL players run between 8 and 10kms depending on the position. Therefore all AFL player run 3.5 to 6kms more than NRL players per game.

Tackling numbers are higher in RL but man on man jousting/pushing/fighting for space/control/position is very high in AFL and is also energy sapping. This is not part of RL at all since both teams are seperated.

It also says nothing about the intensity of running but I strongly suspect the AFL players do a lot more sprinting since they are effectively either chasing or trying to outrun an opponent. I will post another report that shows similar data. The walking speed was removed from the GPS data so it only included jogging to sprinting, not walking.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

They run about 4k more on avg, I'll pay beaussies first graph. 4k's and they play for more than 20mins more. Yawn, that's more than 5min k's and they barely make any tackles! Sheez louise, victorian rules appears to be fairly easy going compared now. Actually when I think back to my league playing days compared with playing Marngrook I was way more buggered playing league. Constant motion and having to tackle guys who aim to run through you, very exhausting. Whereas marngrook is a bit more like soccer except you have more room and more time to have a rest. Reminded me of cricket some days when we were always in the opposing teams attacking 50 and i would be strolling around the halfback line, following my opposition member whilst looking at the eagles cruising around the MacDonnell ranges. Whenever the ball came i'd make quick work of getting it and sending it straight back to one of ours. It was really nice, quite blissful times.

Victorian rules? A more relaxing and longer game compared to RL.

I cant wait to get out there tmw! :D

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
They run about 4k more on avg, I'll pay beaussies first graph. 4k's and they play for more than 20mins more. Yawn, that's more than 5min k's and they barely make any tackles! Sheez louise, victorian rules appears to be fairly easy going compared now. Actually when I think back to my league playing days compared with playing Marngrook I was way more buggered playing league. Constant motion and having to tackle guys who aim to run through you, very exhausting. Whereas marngrook is a bit more like soccer except you have more room and more time to have a rest. Reminded me of cricket some days when we were always in the opposing teams attacking 50 and i would be strolling around the halfback line, following my opposition member whilst looking at the eagles cruising around the MacDonnell ranges. Whenever the ball came i'd make quick work of getting it and sending it straight back to one of ours. It was really nice, quite blissful times.

Victorian rules? A more relaxing and longer game compared to RL.

I cant wait to get out there tmw! :D
Yeah, that's you. Not quite what our code hoppers have found though. They have struggled big time with lack of fitness. KHunt couldnt even complete the last two seasons he was so fatigued. He has had to radically change his training and diet to complete with the levels of fitness required for AFL.

There are way too many fat guys playing RL for the game to seriously be considered a sport requiring high levels of fitness! [-(