How West was lost

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

How West was lost

Post by Beaussie »

GWS considered Godzilla like. More disgruntled RL fans lost to the game. Well done NRL. I wonder how EA feels about the demise of his Magpies? Wests fans could always follow Collingwood. :lol:
How West was lost
Paul Kent
The Daily Telegraph
January 12, 201212:00AM

SHED a tear for the final demise of the Western Suburbs Magpies and make it heavy on the nostalgia, light on the reality. The truth is the Magpies have been dead since 1999 when the joint venture with Balmain Tigers was first announced, just no one wanted to identify the body.

The Tigers got the better of it then - the Tiger, the predominantly black and gold colours, the ethos - and Magpies officials have always felt more than a little aggrieved because of it. Now news has emerged that the Magpies' NSW Cup team is entering its final season this year, and possibly sooner, bringing to an end a run that goes all the way back to 1908 but seems much longer, on account there hasn't been a lap of honour for more than half of those years.

Since the joint venture the Magpies have been playing in NSW Cup as part of the partnership terms in what was a well-intentioned bid to retain the Western Suburbs and Balmain Tigers identities, but never really came close to doing that.

How many Magpies fans, threatening to now walk away after reading the news yesterday, ever went to see the Western Suburbs Magpies play?

There were more significant concerns yesterday.

The question was rightfully pondered about what the death of the Magpies might do for rugby league in the Greater Western Suburbs - the Campbelltown kind, not the Lidcombe kind - particularly in light of the Godzilla-like threat of that other team marketing itself to the ratepayers of Greater Western Sydney.

Outrage was considered as the first appropriate response before being quickly discarded.

Concern was next, replaced by confusion and ultimately frustration.

Once again, rugby league's incompetency is mostly one of its own doing, and the demise of the Magpies falls directly under that.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6242159632
Topper
Coach
Coach
Team: AFL
Been liked: 0

Re: How West was lost

Post by Topper »

This is why I believe that the merger of West Tigers and Parramatta be more likely than Parramatta and Penrith.
Rugby League has a lying culture. Altering crowd figures, relying on inaccurate TV figures from regional NSW and refusing to distance itself from Leagues Clubs and obtain it's own club memberships as it relies on LC's to survive as private entities.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

The timing and location could not be better for the AFLs new team.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Hills Eagles

Post by NSWAFL »

Too right, Xman! Funny thing. Western Suburbs actually had trouble at one point competing with the Campbelltown AFC when they were strong in the Sydney AFL competition. I've always felt the Blues made a mistake shifting to the ACTAFL for a couple of years even if it meant going to a stronger competition. The year the Blues came back to Sydney was the last year for the Magpies. Co-incidence? I don't think so!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hmm yes quite a shame and I agree rugby league has allowed this rich club to fall without putting enough of a fight up. Cant agree on the GWS godzilla analogy, there's just no evidence to support their success as yet, especially if one is suggesting GWS is 'taking over RL in the west'. This suggestion is simply laughable.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Topper
Coach
Coach
Team: AFL

Post by Topper »

I didn't know that, NSWAFL!
Rugby League has a lying culture. Altering crowd figures, relying on inaccurate TV figures from regional NSW and refusing to distance itself from Leagues Clubs and obtain it's own club memberships as it relies on LC's to survive as private entities.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Hmm yes quite a shame and I agree rugby league has allowed this rich club to fall without putting enough of a fight up. Cant agree on the GWS godzilla analogy, there's just no evidence to support their success as yet, especially if one is suggesting GWS is 'taking over RL in the west'. This suggestion is simply laughable.
WHo is suggesting this?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Topper wrote:
This is why I believe that the merger of West Tigers and Parramatta be more likely than Parramatta and Penrith.
West Tigers are a merged club already wombat :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach

Post by NSWAFL »

"particularly in light of the Godzilla-like threat of that other team marketing itself to the ratepayers of Greater Western Sydney"

That quote is from the article in the OP. King actually put his finger on the nub of the problem. No fight.

Dave, there's nothing stopping a merged club from merging again with another.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:

a club that hasn't competed in the NRL for 12 years folding ... means the AFL's timing for GWS couldn't be better ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
please

let go of those straws :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

cooee
Seniors
Seniors
Team: All Brisbane based teams except the Lions

Post by cooee »

The opposite is happening with the Dragons. They are bring back Illawarra this season to the NSW Cup.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

NSWAFL wrote:
"particularly in light of the Godzilla-like threat of that other team marketing itself to the ratepayers of Greater Western Sydney"

That quote is from the article in the OP. King actually put his finger on the nub of the problem. No fight.

Dave, there's nothing stopping a merged club from merging again with another.
only the fans of the existing merged club peanut
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

a club that hasn't competed in the NRL for 12 years folding ... means the AFL's timing for GWS couldn't be better ?

please

Well this RL club were hardly bounding forwards!
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach

Post by NSWAFL »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

please

They've been playing in the NSW Cup in case you missed it, peanut! Hasn't competed huh?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

cooee wrote:
The opposite is happening with the Dragons. They are bring back Illawarra this season to the NSW Cup.
swings & round abouts cooee
the Steelers back in the NSW cup.. the Magpies out

Its sad if the magpies do end up folding ... a great ol club in the day ... in the day
but times change

& I'd say 95% of West Tigers supporters in the campbelltown area no longer even relate themselves with the Western Suburbs club.
they follow the Tigers

& they'll now have their club in the NSW cup called that now too. :wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million