Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

Well what do you know, showing the same program on 9gem resulted in a decrease in ratings of up to 76%!!

I wonder how the NRL flogs will explain this one. Do you still think showing the AFL on 7mate into Perth and Adelaide has no effect on AFL's cummulative ratings?

Nice work Wookie
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 pm
Well what do you know, showing the same program on 9gem resulted in a decrease in ratings of up to 76%!!

I wonder how the NRL flogs will explain this one. Do you still think showing the AFL on 7mate into Perth and Adelaide has no effect on AFL's cummulative ratings?

Nice work Wookie
I had a look at the Perth ratings for a Saturday and Sunday this year .I got quiet a surprised to find that
7mate ratings were as good , maybe even better than when shown on the main channel. Must say, it came as a complete shock after everything you'd told me. :hmm:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Nice work Wookie
I had a look at the Perth ratings for a Saturday and Sunday this year .I got quiet a surprised to find that
7mate ratings were as good , maybe even better than when shown on the main channel. Must say, it came as a complete shock after everything you told me. :hmm:
ratings obviously vary according to factors such as the time of day and whether a local club is playing. But the fact remains a game shown under the same conditions will rate better when on the primary channel

Are you denying the obvious conclusion shown by wookie's figures? :hmm:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 pm
7mate ratings were as good , maybe even better than when shown on the main channel. Must say, it came as a complete shock after everything you'd told me. :hmm:
I just had a look at the ratings for the season and on 7 Perth rates an average of 115,000. On 7mate the average is 91,000.
Not if you count Sat and Sat matches like the post said. All that Thu, Fri matches are on 7mate and are lower because they don't involve any Perth teams.

R1. C7, 101k .... Mate, 131k
R2. C7, 100k ... Mate 81k
R3. C7, 112k ... Mate 147k
R4. didn't count this round . It doesn't give a fare indication as both Perth teams played each other. (was shown on C7 though)
R5. No results for Perth
R6. C7, 133k .... Mate 131k
R7., C7, 112k.... Mate 135k

C7 Total for the 5 matches = 558 - Avg =112, 000
7Mate Total for 5 rounds = 625 - Avg = 125, 000

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:13 pm
I just had a look at the ratings for the season and on 7 Perth rates an average of 115,000. On 7mate the average is 91,000.
Not if you count Sat and Sat matches like the post said. All that Thu, Fri matches are on 7mate and are lower because they don't involve any Perth teams.

R4. didn't count this round . It doesn't give a fare indication as both Perth teams played each other. (was shown on C7 though)
R5. No results for Perth

Every city rates highest on Thursday and Friday nights, including the NRL. Yet Perth somehow rate far lower on those nights? Any idea why? 7mate
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Furthermore, you still havent explained why ratings for RL in Qld and NSW dropped by up to 75% when switched to 9 GEM.

Please explain why
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Further again, the Saturday night games on 7mate involved the eagles and have rated about the same as non-prime time Sunday afternoon games on ch7 involving Fremantle.

That alone shows the effect of 7mate. The eagles on ch7 in prime time would rate far higher than Fremantle under similar conditions. In fact the one Saturday night game on Ch7 rated 228k, almost double the other Saturday night games on 7 mate
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 pm

R5. No results for Perth

Every city rates highest on Thursday and Friday nights, including the NRL. Yet Perth somehow rate far lower on those nights? Any idea why? 7mate

Sydney , Brisbane or any team will rate higher when there team plays - get a new EXCUSE!

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:36 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 pm

R5. No results for Perth

Sydney , Brisbane or any team will rate higher when there team plays - get a new EXCUSE!
Adelaide rate really well on Thursday and Friday nights when an Adelaide team arent playing. It's the best rating times, except for Perth....
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The_Wookie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:23 am

In future most of my ratings will come from these articles every tuesday.
Excellent work Wookie .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

What Rd last year did the AFl start the big slide with ratings.
& there's a few quotes in there that show how well RL is doing on Fox & streaming.

In another crowded weekend of sport, the first round of A-league finals failed to generate much hype. The AFL had its lowest tv viewership for the season, and the NRL their second lowest.

On the other hand, Supercar racing under lights had a good result for its Friday night racing on Foxtel - rating 131,000 - and this may have slightly impacted the results from other sports.

Friday nights AFL game between Port Adelaide and Collingwood was the most watched game on free to air television with 739,000 viewers – narrowly beating Thursday nights NRL match between South Sydney and Brisbane which reeled in 710,000.

Friday nights NRL game between the Sharks/Storm takes home the chocolates for highest rating Foxtel game of the weekend with 268,000 viewers, as Foxtel ratings continue to be dominated by the NRL – on average 30% higher than AFL fox games.

Likewise, the NRL dominates streaming on Fox with 5 NRL matches making into the Oztam top 10 for the week, while the AFL missed out. We should note that this doesn’t include Kayo or Telstra apps.

Australian Football

In Round 7, the AFL had its lowest viewing week of the year with 3.7 million viewers switching on – the first time this year that the total viewers have dipped below 4 million for the round.
Seven released a video on Twitter earlier in the week where Head of Network Sport, Saul Shtein, stated that total season ratings were up 16% year on year.

With Thursday nights finished for a few weeks, Friday nights Collingwood v Port Adelaide game was the biggest draw with 957,000 viewers watching across the Seven Network and Foxtel.

On Free to air television, the Friday night Pies/Power clash was by far the biggest draw with 739,000 turning their attention to Seven, 7mate and regional affiliates, while Sundays Geelong v Essendon clash saw the highest Melbourne audience for a Sunday game this season as 281,000 took in the game from the comfort of their own homes.

On Foxtel, Friday night also reigned supreme with 218,000 watching Fox Footy, while the Giants/Saints game managed the lowest Foxtel rating this season (although not a record), as only 50,000 people made the choice to switch over to Fox Sports 3.

AFL fox ratings are up 7% on last year, but remain down 7% on the 2017 mark, so plenty of improvement is needed to make up the lost ground last year.

The AFL failed to make an impact on OzTAMs VPM charts this week.

In state football, the VFL attracted 49,000 on Sunday, while Saturdays SANFL and WAFL were watched by 28,000 and 21,000 each in their respective state capitals.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Nice work Wookie

Off with the fairies again [-( those games have only been shown on Gem for 1 week. In NSW they were steady and QLD only down marginally. Most of the drop off occurred on C9 [-(

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:24 am
What Rd last year did the AFl start the big slide with ratings.
& there's a few quotes in there that show how well RL is doing on Fox & streaming.

In another crowded weekend of sport, the first round of A-league finals failed to generate much hype. The AFL had its lowest tv viewership for the season, and the NRL their second lowest.

On the other hand, Supercar racing under lights had a good result for its Friday night racing on Foxtel - rating 131,000 - and this may have slightly impacted the results from other sports.

Friday nights AFL game between Port Adelaide and Collingwood was the most watched game on free to air television with 739,000 viewers – narrowly beating Thursday nights NRL match between South Sydney and Brisbane which reeled in 710,000.

Friday nights NRL game between the Sharks/Storm takes home the chocolates for highest rating Foxtel game of the weekend with 268,000 viewers, as Foxtel ratings continue to be dominated by the NRL – on average 30% higher than AFL fox games.

Likewise, the NRL dominates streaming on Fox with 5 NRL matches making into the Oztam top 10 for the week, while the AFL missed out. We should note that this doesn’t include Kayo or Telstra apps.

Australian Football

In Round 7, the AFL had its lowest viewing week of the year with 3.7 million viewers switching on – the first time this year that the total viewers have dipped below 4 million for the round.
Seven released a video on Twitter earlier in the week where Head of Network Sport, Saul Shtein, stated that total season ratings were up 16% year on year.

With Thursday nights finished for a few weeks, Friday nights Collingwood v Port Adelaide game was the biggest draw with 957,000 viewers watching across the Seven Network and Foxtel.

On Free to air television, the Friday night Pies/Power clash was by far the biggest draw with 739,000 turning their attention to Seven, 7mate and regional affiliates, while Sundays Geelong v Essendon clash saw the highest Melbourne audience for a Sunday game this season as 281,000 took in the game from the comfort of their own homes.

On Foxtel, Friday night also reigned supreme with 218,000 watching Fox Footy, while the Giants/Saints game managed the lowest Foxtel rating this season (although not a record), as only 50,000 people made the choice to switch over to Fox Sports 3.

AFL fox ratings are up 7% on last year, but remain down 7% on the 2017 mark, so plenty of improvement is needed to make up the lost ground last year.

The AFL failed to make an impact on OzTAMs VPM charts this week.

In state football, the VFL attracted 49,000 on Sunday, while Saturdays SANFL and WAFL were watched by 28,000 and 21,000 each in their respective state capitals.
There's no doubt the NRL is rating far better than the AFL on Foxtel. In previous years the AFL consistently rated higher on foxtel for Friday nights, but this trend seems to have reversed this year.

Either many AFL fans have dropped fox for Kayo (like me) or they've dropped fox entirely
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:38 am

Nice work Wookie

Off with the fairies again [-( those games have only been shown on Gem for 1 week. In NSW they were steady and QLD only down marginally. Most of the drop off occurred on C9 [-(
WTF? You claim I'm off with the fairies then claim NSW ratings were the same and QLD only marginally down? :hmm: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dont you understand how graphs work? The reduction in ratings was at best 50%, and verging on 80%

Bugger me you're a moron
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

How is Kayo counted?
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.