Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:45 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am
NlolRL wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 am
Say what? On the one hand youre saying they wouldnt be higher, then on the other hand you are saying they would be higher???

Sure, but again if it doesnt translate into higher ratings the point is mute in this thread.

Again, the figures do not show the QLD ratings increase when the Titans or Cowboys are on FTA.

Now you may say this is because they are not on FTA consistently. But neither are the storm, yet they have a notable increase in ratings in Melbourne compared to when they are not on FTA.

GC and Townsville are small population bases so an increase in ratings is unlikely anyway
LOL are you kidding...

Quick example>>

CURRENT TV DEAL
Titans v Tigers on FOX rates 250k

AFL TV DEAL

Titans v Tigers on FOX rates 210k ... BUT Titans are shown into QLD on FTA and rate a further 150k +
But every other FTA game without a QLD team is rating around 150k in Brisbane already, so there is no advantage...

Remember, every market only gets 80-90 FTA games a year. Showing the titans on FTA into QLD is one of their 80-90 games. If they dont rate higher in Brisbane than any other game why bother?
See your talking about the current setup>> NRL 3 FTA games into QLD per week...

I am talking about if the AFL setup was in QLD for the NRL

you would have the 3 Regular games week Plus a 4th.

Thursday > could still be DOGS v TIGERS
FRIDAY > could still be Souths v Broncos
Sunday > could still be Parra v Cowboys

But like the AFL they have that extra game of FTA for the clubs in that state.

This would be the Titans>

and that could be Played at Saturday at 5:30pm on FOX and QLD FTA
and vice versa for the Broncos and cowboys>>

its a win win..

The same should be done with Raiders and Storm & Newcastle.
Warriors are on SKY SPORTS in NZ.

Sydney clubs would be how the AFL do it..
show the big games etc..
which is being currently done.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:44 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am

LOL are you kidding...

Quick example>>

CURRENT TV DEAL
Titans v Tigers on FOX rates 250k

AFL TV DEAL

Titans v Tigers on FOX rates 210k ... BUT Titans are shown into QLD on FTA and rate a further 150k +
But every other FTA game without a QLD team is rating around 150k in Brisbane already, so there is no advantage...

Remember, every market only gets 80-90 FTA games a year. Showing the titans on FTA into QLD is one of their 80-90 games. If they dont rate higher in Brisbane than any other game why bother?

its a win win..

show the big games etc..
1. Unless your 4th FTA game was QLD only this would actually give the NRL more FTA games than the AFL because the NRL already have 79 FTA games in every state, while Melbourne only get 81 FTA games of AFL (3.5 FTA games per round).

2. Using your example:
Sunday: Parra v Cowboys wouldnt rate any higher in Brisbane or QLD regionals than Parra v other NSW club. The figures we have show that

Saturday: Titans v NSW club wouldnt rate higher in Brisbane than NSW club v NSW club. The figures we have show that. The Titans only rate around 140k in Brisbane, which is similar to every other non QLD game.

So the targeted scheduling would be nice for QLD fans but would not translate into significant ratings increase.

3. Where the NRL do miss out on FTA ratings with the current arrangement (compared to the AFL) is the Broncos being on FTA for only 14 of their games, not every round. However, the Broncos increase Brisbane's ratings by around 60-80k compared to other games. If they were on FTA every round you would get an additional 70k times 10 extra rounds, so 700k for the entire year. While it's something it only makes up less than 1% of your FTA ratings for the year
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:02 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:44 pm

its a win win..

show the big games etc..
1. Unless your 4th FTA game was QLD only this would actually give the NRL more FTA games than the AFL because the NRL already have 79 FTA games in every state, while Melbourne only get 81 FTA games of AFL (3.5 FTA games per round).

Yes it would be QLD only>>

2. Using your example:
Sunday: Parra v Cowboys wouldnt rate any higher in Brisbane or QLD regionals than Parra v other NSW club. The figures we have show that

This is not my point.

Saturday: Titans v NSW club wouldnt rate higher in Brisbane than NSW club v NSW club. The figures we have show that. The Titans only rate around 140k in Brisbane, which is similar to every other non QLD game.

I am not saying it would rate higher than broncos game,
I am stating Fans of the Titans miss out on watching Titans on FTA
and it would add an extra 150k per week just for the titans.
and easily another 150k per week just for the cowboys.

So the targeted scheduling would be nice for QLD fans but would not translate into significant ratings increase.

correct would be nice for QLD Fans>> this is my point>>
23 games times 300k = 6.9million extra viewers.
in a good year for the clubs that could easily be 8-9mill

3. Where the NRL do miss out on FTA ratings with the current arrangement (compared to the AFL) is the Broncos being on FTA for only 14 of their games, not every round. However, the Broncos increase Brisbane's ratings by around 60-80k compared to other games. If they were on FTA every round you would get an additional 70k times 10 extra rounds, so 700k for the entire year. While it's something it only makes up less than 1% of your FTA ratings for the year
true.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:59 pm
I am not saying it would rate higher than broncos game,
I am stating Fans of the Titans miss out on watching Titans on FTA
and it would add an extra 150k per week just for the titans.
and easily another 150k per week just for the cowboys.
I'm saying it wouldnt rate higher than any other non-broncos game in QLD, so although it's an advantage for the fans, it means nothing for total ratings. This is unless the NRL went to 4 games per round in Qld which would actually give them more FTA games than any AFL state
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Hmm, well below the NRL averages on both FTA and PTV...... Que, but, buts
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 am
NlolRL wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:48 pm
And for the cowboys, do the regionals rate more when they are shown on FTA?
https://i.imgur.com/y7pdSyN.png

22nd March:
#NRLBroncosCowboys 750k
(Metro 483k Regional 267k)

21st March:
Souths played Dragons. Metro ratings were 440k and regionals were 262k. So almost the same regional audience whether the Cowboys played or not. In fact as a proportion of regional v metro ratings the non-cowboys game had more.

29 March:
#NRLEelsRoosters
611k (Metro 378k Regional 233k). Again, a larger proportion of regional fans (to Metro) than a game including the Cowboys

4 April:
Roosters Broncos
Metro 448k, Foxtel 251k. Again, a larger proportion of regional fans (to Metro) than a game including the Cowboys

SO I think this shows the NRL would not be better off if they targeted the Cowboys on FTA TV
Hold on Hold on...

Cowboys rate great on FTA> in QLD

That cowboys v Broncos game>> was a hammering>> and regional audience was lower than usual.
Titans rate on par or if not a little higher than NSW clubs>> in QLD

bar in Mind Titans have little success...

What i would like to see is what the AFL do in scheduling..

have the Titans and Cowboys on FTA each week LIVE INTO QLD>>
and on FOX> around Australia.

My statement was TItans are on FTA 3 times this year.

SUNS are on FTA 22 times.

It is a huge advantage to the SUNS AND AFL

which is not doing the NRL any favours.

I think it is a huge marketing advantage to the suns and afl but not a ratings advantage. A lot of people would prefer to watch another game. If Collingwood are playing at the same time I would watch Collingwood ... but can’t as not on FTA. So had to get Foxtel.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

22nd March:
#NRLBroncosCowboys 750k

21st March:
Souths played Dragons. Metro ratings were 440k and regionals were 262k. So almost the same regional audience whether the Cowboys played or not. In fact as a proportion of regional v metro ratings the non-cowboys game had more.

29 March:
#NRLEelsRoosters
611k (Metro 378k Regional 233k). Again, a larger proportion of regional fans (to Metro) than a game including the Cowboys

4 April:
Roosters Broncos
Metro 448k, Foxtel 251k. Again, a larger proportion of regional fans (to Metro) than a game including the Cowboys

SO I think this shows the NRL would not be better off if they targeted the Cowboys on FTA TV
Hold on Hold on...

That cowboys v Broncos game>> was a hammering>> and regional audience was lower than usual.

I think it is a huge marketing advantage to the suns and afl but not a ratings advantage. A lot of people would prefer to watch another game. If Collingwood are playing at the same time I would watch Collingwood ... but can’t as not on FTA. So had to get Foxtel.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Terry wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:32 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:20 pm
You think it's reasonable to count the AFL competition only vs the NRL competition plus games that arent part of the NRL competition
Pal, you can do it whatever way you like. Of course you will manufacture an AFL advantage. My fair and equitable method counts the exact same number of games played at the elite levels of both codes. RL has 3 levels, your mob has 1. At the end of the day I count the exact same number of games. Couldn't be fairer.

Last year RL had the most ratings anyway you look at it. This year your fumbling game may have more for the domestic comps only. (Although if NZ was added this may not be the case). Once RL adds in the requisite number of games to equal the number the AFL plays it will win.

Either way you will not accept anything that does not favour fumbleball. It's in your DNA pal. You know......the bubble and all that!!!!!!!!!!
I think averaging is the fair and equatable thing of each competition ... that’s what averages are useful for when you have different numbers for instance. But even then you get issues where two games are played at the same time in afl etc. but comparing the afl home and away to nrl home and away seems the best we have for the season. Maybe comparing finals is the cleanest way to do it as all games in isolation. It’s a long discussion without any real clear consensus.
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Fred wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm
Terry wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:32 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:20 pm
You think it's reasonable to count the AFL competition only vs the NRL competition plus games that arent part of the NRL competition
Pal, you can do it whatever way you like. Of course you will manufacture an AFL advantage. My fair and equitable method counts the exact same number of games played at the elite levels of both codes. RL has 3 levels, your mob has 1. At the end of the day I count the exact same number of games. Couldn't be fairer.

Last year RL had the most ratings anyway you look at it. This year your fumbling game may have more for the domestic comps only. (Although if NZ was added this may not be the case). Once RL adds in the requisite number of games to equal the number the AFL plays it will win.

Either way you will not accept anything that does not favour fumbleball. It's in your DNA pal. You know......the bubble and all that!!!!!!!!!!
I think averaging is the fair and equatable thing of each competition ... that’s what averages are useful for when you have different numbers for instance. But even then you get issues where two games are played at the same time in afl etc. but comparing the afl home and away to nrl home and away seems the best we have for the season. Maybe comparing finals is the cleanest way to do it as all games in isolation. It’s a long discussion without any real clear consensus.
Which is the point. Averages are a waste of time in the current arrangement because some AFL games are only shown on FTA into single states. Furthermore, Fox games overlap halving the ratings for each. Averages for both will therefore be artificially small, and if the average is incorrect clearly the total will also be misleading.

A better method of averaging would be to add each state's FTA ratings for the round then divide them by the number of games they were shown for that total. Then add each state's average for a total round average per 'broadcasted' game.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:18 pm

22nd March:
#NRLBroncosCowboys 750k

21st March:

29 March:
#NRLEelsRoosters

4 April:
Roosters Broncos

Hold on Hold on...

Yeah agreed.
well said..
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Since I provided evidence busting some of the NRL fan theories around FTA ratings it seems to have gone very quiet in here.

As a recap:

1. the ratings show the NRL would only get an increase of around 1% in FTA ratings if they showed QLD teams into QLD on FTA like the AFL show the Perth and Adelaide clubs into their states.

2. Pussy's ridiculous claim that the AFL get more FTA ratings because NRL fans switch over to the AFL for the last 1/3rd of the game has also been busted. The NRL actually have more non-competing FTA time because they have 2 extra rounds and more Thursday games like tonight.

3. the AFL has no FTA advantage in Melbourne compared to the NRL in Sydney, which is highly relevant given both are their respective comps biggest markets. The AFL do have up to a 13% FTA advantage in Perth but with 80% less games in prime time the advantage is basically zero.

So basically the long touted FTA advantage the AFL supposedly has is utter BS.

Now, the PTV advantage the NRL have, by showing all games on fox in isolation, is real, the ratings prove it every single week. Can any NRL fan bust this 'myth'?
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Bullshit .
Your opinions are argued against .
You just ignore
Then say we've gone quiet.
There's countless pages of arguments on here about this .

Did it ever occur that people don't want to get in your fishbowl .
It's boring going over & over the same shit.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:33 pm
Bullshit .
Your opinions are argued against .
You just ignore
Then say we've gone quiet.
There's countless pages of arguments on here about this .

Did it ever occur that people don't want to get in your fishbowl .
It's boring going over & over the same shit.
Pussy's 1/3rd claim has been defeated. The evidence I've provided speaks for itself and hasn't been countered

The claim the AFL get more games on FTA has been defeated. Melbourne get no more FTA games. Other states get up to 13% more over the season but that is countered by some games being on delay, most being on 7mate, and 80% of Perth's games being non-prime time. Defeated.

The claim targeted games to home states is true for the Broncos but equals a very small % increase. There is no evidence that targeting other QLD clubs would provide extra ratings. Defeated.

You lot are defeated :-({|=
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol nope
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

the way the QLD sides are playing this Year>> in the NRL>>

we could start to see a big slides in Numbers

it is a testing time for QLD market.. haven't seen something like this a while.