Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Canberra Raiders
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by baselinepanther »

NlolRL wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:26 pm
baselinepanther wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:38 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:25 pm

total ratings over a year accentuates the differences in scheduling. It's meaningless when there are differences. It's like the participation award. I've said this repeatedly, show me another program, network or sport that compares ratings to another program over an entire year. You still havent found any
and as explained
both codes have their disadvantages

& advantages

both equaling out the other :cool:

so at the end we look at the total raw numbers
the NRL will beat the AFL comp v comp on present projections in 2021 despite playing 7 less games winning on averages & accumulative audience

code v code
well

it aint a contest :cool:
Unless you can translate the advantages and disadvantages into actual figures your claim means nothing more than your opinion
:lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl:
how can anyone translate them into actual figures dopey

you guys have a bit of overlapping that may or maynot affect ratings ..
we have 60% of our games only ever available to 40% of the population

its a draw

we go to raw numbers :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think all this points to is that there are so many issues with comparing (confounds) that anyone can make anything of them. Now we have that there are more regional teams playing in NRL ??? Best just not to use any of it as a comparison.

I do think the AFL will make moves to have no or minimal overlapping games going forward which should reduce one confound - but people, of both sides, will always find one reason or another. I still think your Friday night stand alone game where both codes are up against one another is probably your best comparison but I am sure there will be and are reasons to say it is not that simple.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Sunday NRL
Nine National 488,000
Metro 292,000
Regional 196,000

Foxleague
Eels/Sea Eagles 279,000
Rabbitohs/Panthers 231,000

Total for 2 matches = 990k

Sunday AFL
Seven National 480,000
Metro 350,000
Regional 175,000

Foxfooty
Giants/Eages 155,000
Bombers/Roos 128,000

Magpies/Power 137,000

Total for 3 matches = 900k
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Did any of the AFL games occur at the same time or overlap - I know the Eagles GWS game did as had to turn over to the Pies Port game on Fox. So again, you can't use the averages. Sure, it is an argument to put forth, and people do turn statistics this way and that, but that is just a basic error a first year science student would do. There would be stats you could use but can't think of any. And yes, there are many confounds that would be pointed out in any peer reviewed article (it would not get past the editors to be honest in any journal using means this way) and the other confounds would be pointed out for both sides - but it is really a pointless exercise.

Also, as I used to point out to my first year students - something they should have leant in secondary school maths anyway - a mean without reporting the standard deviation means nothing - tells us nothing.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Did any of the AFL games occur at the same time or overlap - I know the Eagles GWS game did as had to turn over to the Pies Port game on Fox. So again, you can't use the averages. Sure, it is an argument to put forth, and people do turn statistics this way and that, but that is just a basic error a first year science student would do. There would be stats you could use but can't think of any. And yes, there are many confounds that would be pointed out in any peer reviewed article (it would not get past the editors to be honest in any journal using means this way) and the other confounds would be pointed out for both sides - but it is really a pointless exercise.

Also, as I used to point out to my first year students - something they should have leant in secondary school maths anyway - a mean without reporting the standard deviation means nothing - tells us nothing.
Come of Fred................who you trying to kid pal lolololololololo!!!!!!! In deference to you I won't dissect this.......... ummmmmmmmmmm........post!!!! Suffice to say it is comedic genius lolololol!!!!!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:47 am
Sunday NRL
Nine National 488,000
Metro 292,000
Regional 196,000

Foxleague
Eels/Sea Eagles 279,000

Sunday AFL
Seven National 480,000
Metro 350,000
Regional 175,000

Foxfooty
Giants/Eages 155,000
Bombers/Roos 128,000

Magpies/Power 137,000

How does 350k metro plus 175k regional = 480k?
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:08 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:47 am
Sunday NRL
Nine National 488,000
Metro 292,000
Regional 196,000

Foxleague
Eels/Sea Eagles 279,000

Sunday AFL
Seven National 480,000
Metro 350,000
Regional 175,000

Foxfooty
Giants/Eages 155,000
Bombers/Roos 128,000

Magpies/Power 137,000

How does 350k metro plus 175k regional = 480k?
This was just corrected on TV Blackbox:

pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

And if Kayo was included our 2 games would have got about 130k more than there 3 games :hmm: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:49 pm
And if Kayo was included our 2 games would have got about 130k more than there 3 games :hmm: :rock: :rock: :rock:
How many of the NRLs games overlapped?
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:00 pm

AFL viewers could watch 2 games Fred and (some or quiet abit of a 3rd ). These ratings (or whatever you want to call them) are straight forward maths! has absolutely nothing to do with your waffle and excuses! :(/ :(/ :(/

You a teacher hay Fred ? that goes a long way towards explaining the poor standard of the Victurpian education system. :wink:
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

If concurrent games isn't an issue why does the NRL do everything possible to avoid it?
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Still not divisible by three. Plus all the other confounding variables mentioned ... regional teams, length of game.... and so on and so on.

No I don’t teach.... have done a little in past at Universities.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm
Still not divisible by three. Plus all the other confounding variables mentioned ... regional teams, length of game.... and so on and so on.

There should be no confussing variables for you here Fred, Its a very simple case of the Total for 2 games in the NRL being greater than the Total 3 games in the AFL :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Freddo 'ol son, comments like this should be posted on the TV scheduling thread I created for you. This thread is about TV ratings. You know, actual numbers put out by the ratings companies.

Things like regional teams, length of games and so on and so on would be ideal on the scheduling thread. They are all things that are not ratings. So please transfer this over and go for ya life pal!!!!!!!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:37 pm

There should be no confussing variables for you here Fred, Its a very simple case of the Total for 2 games in the NRL being greater than the Total 3 games in the AFL :cheers:

Overlapping games is a variable ...but all so many more mentioned here. Any regional teams (one of yours pussy) for instance. It’s basic statistics but you don’t need a PHD in science to understand that surely. Anyway... I’ll let you guys continue your endless back and forth. Just thought I’d chip in with some basic facts. Yes, for sure... you can count anything ...as is your want ... and who am I to get in the way of your ignorant bliss. Although having explained it and it still being not comprehended I wonder of it is still ignorance, plain stupidity, or simply Machiavellian.
Veni, vidi, vici