Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

quite surprising ratings are holding up...

Imagen if alot more of the Games were Close
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:21 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:22 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm
here's the part you dont understand: The NRL's averages are based on every game played in isolation while the AFL's average is based on most games played concurrently. Of course our average will be far lower. However, Friday night games, however, are played in isolation so those figures quoted will not accurately reflect the difference.

Here comes the but but but response :roll:
question in next tv deal, do you recan FOX will seek exclusive AFL games
as it looks like they are intending to do so ..
I think the next round will be very interesting.
I can’t see Foxtel getting more exclusive games unless it is an equal split with an fta channel, that is 4/5 games alternating.
What I can see happening is an all out bidding war that will go something like this:
Foxtel & 7
Disney & 7 (with a joint bid including 2 & SBS possible)
Foxtel & 9
Paramount & 10
Stan & 9

However it goes, I have no doubt that the $ value will be a fair bit than it has been.
Yes it will be interesting..
I cannot see Channel 7 leaving AFL>

for me for FOX to get bang for buck they need exclusives..

joint bid ABC and SBS ... no chance, tax payer money are not coming to the table

NRL is currently in negotiations, and have stated they want it finalised by years end(commission)

have not really heard anything..
i suspect they are awaiting Expansion news.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Not sure that if it came down to it that channel 2 or SBS would totally need to use all their own (the public’s money) say for example paramount or Disney went all out for AFL and won in conjunction with a FTA station, they could on sell overlap games that don’t rate very well cheaply to a minor station as they do for some major sports in the US.
I think paramount will attempt to be a player and Disney has a while to think about it.
I do think whoever gets it will try for a scheduling change so there are fewer “competing games” with more Thursday games and regular Monday games. And maybe an occasional 2 on Friday night with 1 being in WA.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fox Sports has achieved two all-time NRL ratings records. The Warriors/Dragons Fri night was the highest 6pm game ever with 419k viewers while Broncos/Sharks had Sun 2pm record 386k viewers
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Nrl fans are abandoning FTA to take up streaming and pay TV. Should make fo an interesting comparison in the next TV rights battle. AFL strong on FTA and weaker on pay, NRL the opposite
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:18 pm
Despite a shocking weekend of blowouts, Fox Sports has achieved two all-time NRL ratings records.

The Warriors v Dragons golden point thriller on Friday night was the most-watched 6pm game of all time with an average of 419k viewers.
The Sunday 2pm game between the Broncos and Sharks also saw the highest ever ratings in that timeslot with 386k viewers (up 30 per cent on the 2021 season average).
Rabbitohs v Tigers match on Sunday attracted a 393k average audience, a 14 per cent increase on the 2021 average for the Sunday 4pm slot.
Super Saturday recorded 357k viewers across the three games, down five per cent on the Super Saturday average of 377k in 2021.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 6811beaff4

Incredible numbers!!! And in a wish to not offend or hurt the feelings of my dear fumbling friends I acknowledge that greater Sydney was in lockdown and that would have assisted the numbers somewhat!!

However I note the average viewership on Kayo was just short of 140k per game in the above games. This is consistent with the mass of other reported numbers for Kayo this NRL season. Plus the Australian record BVOD numbers for the 2 origin games which were 280k each.

As such I now hereby state the trend is in. The numbers have spoken. Streaming for RL is breaking Australian broadcast records!!!!

And in fairness: I also understand the great game of AFL has had an increase in streaming also. It just seems it is not as much in aggregate or averages as Rugby League. And in saying that I am not in any way denigrating the great high flying game.

Thanks all and have a great day!!!! :salute: :salute: :salute:
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
Lookin back (Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:13 pm)
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:28 pm
Nrl fans are abandoning FTA to take up streaming and pay TV. Should make fo an interesting comparison in the next TV rights battle. AFL strong on FTA and weaker on pay, NRL the opposite
it does make things very interesting..

it also proves Channel 9 are doing a horrible job of delivering content with the pathetic neglected content

the question is what will the NRL HQ do about this..

both interesting deals for AFL and NRL coming up
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:03 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:28 pm
it does make things very interesting..

it also proves Channel 9 are doing a horrible job of delivering content with the pathetic neglected content

the question is what will the NRL HQ do about this..

both interesting deals for AFL and NRL coming up
Yep. The massive streaming numbers are incredible. Most metro FTA game numbers are getting beaten in the ratings by Fox/Kayo. It shows the strength of the product is intact. It also shows Ch9's coverage is pathetic! If they haven't worked out how to do it properly after all these years they never will.

The game desperately needs another network to take over. Hopefully Ch10 might make a move. Fox is locked in long term, I just hope Peter The Great got a deal commensurate to the current numbers!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Problem is you rob peter to pay Paul. Improve FTA and people won't see the value in pay TV, so subs and ratings will drop.

Fox only have a handful of exclusive AFL games, and FTA coverage is decent, so pay TV subs and ratings are lower as a result
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Making it even more embarasing for the fumblers C9 has its own streaming service .
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:03 pm
Problem is you rob peter to pay Paul. Improve FTA and people won't see the value in pay TV, so subs and ratings will drop.

Fox only have a handful of exclusive AFL games, and FTA coverage is decent, so pay TV subs and ratings are lower as a result
What???? Pal, peter and paul don't matter. The total of the combined broadcast modes is what matters. At this point in time RL is the winner largely due to streaming.

Whatever the split is each governing body needs to monetise the best way they can. I suspect Peter The Great may have under sold Fox but we don't actually know the numbers so it's hard to say. The NRL's next FTA deal is the real test. Stay tuned.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

What???? Pal, peter and paul don't matter. The total of the combined broadcast modes is what matters. At this point in time RL is the winner largely due to streaming.

Whatever the split is each governing body needs to monetise the best way they can. I suspect Peter The Great may have under sold Fox but we don't actually know the numbers so it's hard to say. The NRL's next FTA deal is the real test. Stay tuned.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Terry wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Lol Ive been away for a few days but nothing changed, your making just as many BS excuses as ever.

People get fox and streaming subscriptions because they want to watch more matches and want to have a greater choice in what matches they watch. Fewer people(many fewer) people are prepared to pay $25 a month ($200 a year) for what is basically shiet. AFL have 9 PTV games a week! Fred was only saying the other day , That he wanted to watch a match but couldn't. The only game he could watch in his part of the country was the Suns. Saturdays and Sundays there a numerous games you can watch, but only if you have PTV
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:50 pm
moment youve all been waiting for

Note this uses the season averages for Foxtel group as of NRL Magic Round (Round 10)

Some data had to be estimated - mostly AFL saturday afternoons and the odd regional for both codes.
Preseason and AFLW added later.
9NOW impossible to properly quantify over the season, data very sporadic, so not included.

AFL Ratings per round - 4.55m @ 539k per match ave
NRL Ratings per round - 4.41m @ 563k per match ave

Great work Wooks!!! However the graph shows RL average as 603k????????
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:23 pm
Terry wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:22 pm
The_Wookie wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:50 pm
moment youve all been waiting for

Note this uses the season averages for Foxtel group as of NRL Magic Round (Round 10)

Some data had to be estimated - mostly AFL saturday afternoons and the odd regional for both codes.
Preseason and AFLW added later.
9NOW impossible to properly quantify over the season, data very sporadic, so not included.

AFL Ratings per round - 4.55m @ 539k per match ave
NRL Ratings per round - 4.41m @ 563k per match ave

Great work Wooks!!! However the graph shows RL average as 603k????????
Thats across everything. Origin is separate to the NRL season proper.
Oh! Thanks.