Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

good post Tez..

"So clearly the AFL has blockbuster games between the big clubs that draw big numbers but equally lesser games and clubs that attract aleague level numbers. RL's ratings are more balanced between the clubs and games"

That is Correct..
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am
Well that's a small step back to reality for ya pal!!!!! You admit more ppl watch RL than AFL over a calendar year. Well done. The rest of the post was typical spin and BS.

And now to answer your question......for the 1134th time: On balance the AFL gets bigger rating games on Friday nights and the semis. Not all but on balance more than RL.

Now how can RL then get more ratings overall? Obviously because the other games out rate the AFL's. Last week you had 3 games that rated under 100k on Fox. They are disastrous numbers. RL games never ever get that low. This year the AFL has had a record number of games rate less than 100k on Fox.

So clearly the AFL has blockbuster games between the big clubs that draw big numbers but equally lesser games and clubs that attract aleague level numbers. RL's ratings are more balanced between the clubs and games. So alas and alak RL wins overall and is the most popular sport on Australian TV year on year.

Now you will of course dive into the goldfish bowl with your concurrent games and scheduling guff. And I will of course point out the massive difference having FTA components for all games has on ratings. If all NRL games had that the ratings would soar!!! I would say those 2 facts cancel each other out.

So both codes have their broadcast and scheduling nuances. Some good. Some not so much. But at the end of the day we can only compare what we have. And on that basis RL is the winner......year on year on year!!!!!!!!

All you are arguing is that if, but or maybe things were different AFL would win. But until things are different and the AFL actually does get bigger yearly numbers it will stay if, but or maybe!!!!!!

This will be the last time I waste my time talking sense to you if you once again get straight back into the goldfish bowl with your ifs, buts and maybe's. The numbers speak for themselves. The facts are the facts.
Terry, you accuse me of diving back into the fishbowl with answers you hear again and again. Yet you have done exactly the same thing here. I've heard all this BS, and it's the same BS every time. So how is your approach different to mine?

Furthermore, you are correct, we have games that rate very low on STV compared to the NRL. Why is it then that every one of these games is shown against another game? Is this just a coincidence or is it the actual cause, which you neglect to admit?

Here's a task for you, show me an AFL game that has rated less than 100k when shown in isolation. If your claim is it's the game and not the fixturing then this should be easy.........off you go :cool:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Strangely enough I'm not your secretary. Do ya own research pal. Now......suit up everyone.....in we go...…….stroke, stroke, stroke!! We've just turned the switch to vaudeville again folks!!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 am
Strangely enough I'm not your secretary. Do ya own research pal. Now......suit up everyone.....in we go...…….stroke, stroke, stroke!! We've just turned the switch to vaudeville again folks!!!!!!!!
I have, many times. I've repeatedly posted figures for AFL games shown on Saturday, showing they rate well over 100k, and often over 200k when in isolation. Compare this to games shown concurrently and the difference is stark.

Yet you repeatedly ignore this evidence, and continue to claim the AFL has poor STV ratings without taking this evidence into account.

Yet YOU have the gall to claim I'M in a fish bowl :(/
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Over a Mill for last night's Qld derby. Never fail to fire these games. JT is gonna be a massive drawcard missing from the game next year.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am
good post Tez..

"So clearly the AFL has blockbuster games between the big clubs that draw big numbers but equally lesser games and clubs that attract aleague level numbers. RL's ratings are more balanced between the clubs and games"

That is Correct..
spot on.
But, But, But ,But, But, But , But, But, But ,But, But, But ,
Que LOL's
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

should be an easy win to the NRL tonight with 1 v 3 to our 11 v 15
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

I'll take it that isn't the case. Pointless game tonight meanwhile Hawthorn v Geelong tomorrow afternoon. Absolute blockbuster. How does this floating fixture work and why don't we do it?
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm
I have, many times. I've repeatedly posted figures for AFL games shown on Saturday, showing they rate well over 100k, and often over 200k when in isolation. Compare this to games shown concurrently and the difference is stark.

Yet you repeatedly ignore this evidence, and continue to claim the AFL has poor STV ratings without taking this evidence into account.

The Saturday STV games this year, shown without overlap average 60-70k less than the NRL's games on a Saturday - But, But, But :rock:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:40 pm
NlolRL wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm

The Saturday STV games this year, shown without overlap average 60-70k less than the NRL's games on a Saturday - But, But, But :rock:
1. they are still simulcast on FTA which lowers STV ratings. Your Saturday game last week showed that
2. they are part of up to 15 hours of AFL on the day, so of course they will not get the same ratings as the NRL with only 6 hours
3. they still average far more than games shown concurrently, which proves my point
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

So they are simulcast on FTA targeted into home areas of these teams ..yet somehow that is a disadvantage .
Lol
Only in bizarro world

& we have our STV games only available for about 25-30% of the population .
Yet we still smash you .

With less teams
With one teams home ratings not counted .

You can't argue against these facts yet you do .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am
So they are simulcast on FTA targeted into home areas of these teams ..yet somehow that is a disadvantage .
Lol
Only in bizarro world

Yet we still smash you .

With less teams

games that are exclusive to STV rate better ON STV. Is that so hard to understand? :roll:

Your 'facts' would be relevant if conditions were similar
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:12 am
Lol
Only in bizarro world

Yet we still smash you .

With less teams

games that are exclusive to STV rate better ON STV. Is that so hard to understand? :roll:

Your 'facts' would be relevant if conditions were similar
Yep. No doubt concurrent games has some negative impact on ratings. And equally having a FTA component for EVERY game has a positive impact on ratings. So you are correct: the conditions are not similar.

AFL has some concurrent games and NRL has 5 or 6 games each round that do not have any FTA component. I believe FTA has a bigger positive effect than concurrent games have a negative effect. But for the sake of balance lets just say they cancel each other out and we are left with what we have - raw numbers. And we know who wins that - year on year!!!!!

Now for gods sake can we stay out of the goldfish bowl with the BS excuses and if's , but's & maybe's.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:50 am
Yep. No doubt concurrent games has some negative impact on ratings.
Glory be! How long has it taken you to reach that conclusion. However, 'some' is grossly understating the effect of showing 2 games against each other
And equally having a FTA component for EVERY game has a positive impact on ratings. So you are correct: the conditions are not similar.

AFL has some concurrent games and NRL has 5 or 6 games each round that do not have any FTA component. I believe FTA has a bigger positive effect than concurrent games have a negative effect.
The end result though, is Melbourne still only get 3 games a round on FTA, Perth and Adelaide around 3.5, and QLD/NSW get 4. The advantage isnt having a component of every game on FTA, it's showing homeland clubs into most states. However, I think the advantage is over-stated because:
1. Melbourne, our biggest market, do not get target games for each team. At least no more targeted than Sydney. Therefore, our only heartland markets which get targeted on FTA are Perth and Adelaide, with a population similar to Brisbane. Yet Brisbane are targeted in the NRL when the Broncos get a FTA game on most weeks.

2. We have 5 cities to target, the NRL have only 3. Therefore, if we didnt target markets with multiple games most wouldnt be relevant. This is not as big an issue for the NRL

3. If targeting markets with multiple games was so beneficial why does our Friday night game outrate multiple targeted games shown on Saturday? Surely if it was a big advantage to show multiple games the combined ratings would beat Friday's single game
But for the sake of balance lets just say they cancel each other out and we are left with what we have - raw numbers. And we know who wins that - year on year!!!!!
they dont, that's the point
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

Lol
Only in bizarro world

Yet we still smash you .

With less teams

Isn't Sydney Metro alone 25% of the population?
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.