Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 pm
baselinepanther wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:07 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Yep, 1 at 2pm in Perth involving the smallest club in the AFL. The other involving 2 of the bottom sides. Even our biggest games don't get much over 200k so not surprising for poor teams on a Sat

Play them concurrently and the ratings wouldn't have reached 100k. In fact we have games with less than 100k on fox for many games on fox3. But not yesterday.
all i see here is

but but but lol

At the end the day which sport rates more ... what does it matter?

But it was good to have a decent conversation with Leroy about the fox ratings, which no one is arguing about, and what they mean and also in the context of why fox paid so much more for afl.
Thanks for that Freddo. I agree Fox paid overs for your mess. And I am on the record as saying that Peter The Great might have made a mistake with his long term deal with Fox. With the numbers RL is getting on fox as apposed to your mobs lame figures RL is truly the king on Fox my friend!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:56 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:33 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:48 pm

You gotta spend money to make money. Fox already had the nrl market. They wanted all AFL games to try and break into the AFL market but were forced to pay a pretty penny for the rights to do so.

Subs don't always equal ratings. Depends on why people subscribe. If all they want to do is watch one game a weekend, such as their own side, they will count far less than someone who subscribes to watch as much sport as they can
agree your gotta spend to make and also NRL states did have a large following over AFL before Deal.

If your spending Money on a Product would you not want big ratings from the subs you have converted in Southern States.
I think you will fine, it did not all go to plan the way FOX intended it to go, and FTA is taken a bigger share than FOX thought it would.

you imply they were forced, do you recan it was more along the lines,
all 9 games locked up for 6 years was a deal they thought would bring in mega subs and viewers..
Time will tell if the AFL has provided fox with value for money. We will see in the next media rights. But they were no doubt aware of the effect scheduling concurrent games, no exclusive games, and kayo would have had on ratings and subscriptions.
It will be interesting if fox have not achieved the increase in subscriptions they were aiming for from the afl deal. What can they do differently to change this? What will they want ? Will they pay less with the thinking being well, yes we want the content but we think it is only worth xxxxxx dollars (less than last comparatively). Obviously last time they saw afl as a more valuable product re: potential to grow revenue. As long as they have little competition from fta I think they can take nrl for granted... you have to have it if you are into your nrl.

Of course, if they aren’t getting the subscriptions from afl and they still pay more for it... then obviously we are missing something in how they value their content.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

The landscape has changed drastically, there will definitely be more bids by more players for the AFL ptv rights, and partnerships for deals for both FTA/ptv are becoming more likely. And the PTV rights for the AFL come up before the NRL and they are in conjunction with the FTA rights.
I think the AFL will do very well out of it.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yes, they (fox) certainly can’t afford to lose the afl and with more competition will be interesting to see their bid. Would channel 9 pay more for more nrl ?

For the nrl/arl I think they would benefit from selling SoO separately. Although this would make the deal for the nrl season much lower... but as a whole they may get more money that way. I think you’d get lots of bidders for SoO.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

But how much would they bid, for what is only, at the moment, 3 nights mid week, with not many ad breaks......as popular as it is.
baselinepanther
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Canberra Raiders
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Post by baselinepanther »

Fred wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:32 pm
baselinepanther wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:09 pm
Fred wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:55 pm

Definetely think that’s a reasonable thing. Pay tv has always higher in nsw... probably due to, if you want to watch rugby l a fair bit you need it. This has never been the case with afl across the nation.

watch rugby ? :hmm:

8-[

what has rugby got to do with this :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :lol: :lol:

There’s an “l” after rugby :).
looks like a I you knob , a typo.

heres a tip
just put in rl .. or RL
its much quicker :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

True but I already had written Rugby and went back and put the "L" in. Does look like an "I" I guess but I would have thought when read in conjunction with "Rugby" the reader would have gathered it was an "L" - but point taken. I will be more careful going forward. It's not the end of the world though hey - but point taken.

Cheers
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

AFL Sunday:
FTA 773,000 (Metro 570,000 Regional 203,000)
Fox AFLEaglesTigers 188,000
= 921k
#AFLNorthGiants 154,000

NRL Sunday:
FTA 424,000 (Metro 254,000 Regional 170,000)
#NRLEelsTigers 226,000
= 650k
#NRLWarriorsStorm 162,000

Single game v single game on Sunday and the AFL wins by 270k. They win the averages 538k to 406k

Yep, games in isolation make no difference whatsoever :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Wow 180 ,150 ........Such a differance WOW! vwhat a difference - :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:32 pm
But how much would they bid, for what is only, at the moment, 3 nights mid week, with not many ad breaks......as popular as it is.
Ad breaks are really secondary as it is the subscriptions they want.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:56 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:33 pm

agree your gotta spend to make and also NRL states did have a large following over AFL before Deal.

If your spending Money on a Product would you not want big ratings from the subs you have converted in Southern States.
I think you will fine, it did not all go to plan the way FOX intended it to go, and FTA is taken a bigger share than FOX thought it would.

you imply they were forced, do you recan it was more along the lines,
all 9 games locked up for 6 years was a deal they thought would bring in mega subs and viewers..
Time will tell if the AFL has provided fox with value for money. We will see in the next media rights. But they were no doubt aware of the effect scheduling concurrent games, no exclusive games, and kayo would have had on ratings and subscriptions.
It will be interesting if fox have not achieved the increase in subscriptions they were aiming for from the afl deal. What can they do differently to change this? What will they want ? Will they pay less with the thinking being well, yes we want the content but we think it is only worth xxxxxx dollars (less than last comparatively). Obviously last time they saw afl as a more valuable product re: potential to grow revenue. As long as they have little competition from fta I think they can take nrl for granted... you have to have it if you are into your nrl.

Of course, if they aren’t getting the subscriptions from afl and they still pay more for it... then obviously we are missing something in how they value their content.
Yeah FOX will def go hard and ty and hold on to the AFL>>> NRL AND AFL are the Big winners
they produce there bread and butter...

FOX can sit back a little here for AFL DEAL> i don't see them offering the same numbers.. and i dont see any other streaming service
offering what they did last deal.. if you look at the numbers FOX DEAL if they get it will be lower.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:22 pm
The landscape has changed drastically, there will definitely be more bids by more players for the AFL ptv rights, and partnerships for deals for both FTA/ptv are becoming more likely. And the PTV rights for the AFL come up before the NRL and they are in conjunction with the FTA rights.
That is very true, alot more options in Streaming...
I just do not see AFL getting anything like the FOX Deal, 6 year 1.2bill
if they can not get exclusive games per week.
Streaming services will want Exclusive Games

the FTA Deal for AFL is a bargain compared to the NRL FTA
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 pm
Yes, they (fox) certainly can’t afford to lose the afl and with more competition will be interesting to see their bid. Would channel 9 pay more for more nrl ?

For the nrl/arl I think they would benefit from selling SoO separately. Although this would make the deal for the nrl season much lower... but as a whole they may get more money that way. I think you’d get lots of bidders for SoO.
FOX DEAL is locked in until 2026
same arrangement as now. 5 Exclusive Games per week.
the only way channel 9 will pay more for NRL will depend on expansion 18th team equaling a 9th game.

will the 9th game go to FOX or will it go FTA .. either way they will be paying for it.
These users liked the author leeroy*NRL* for the post:
Terry (Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:25 pm)
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:12 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:22 pm
That is very true, alot more options in Streaming...
I just do not see AFL getting anything like the FOX Deal, 6 year 1.2bill
if they can not get exclusive games per week.
Streaming services will want Exclusive Games

the FTA Deal for AFL is a bargain compared to the NRL FTA
I think the options have changed enough to give the AFL the opportunity and incentive to be very creative, especially as their 2 main rights, expire at the same time, I’m sure not accidentally. And creative they will be.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:32 pm
true point, as big as it is STATE OF ORIGIN>> for FTA Networks your got your

the Game produces at best 3 to 4 adverts a Half.
this Hurts all NRL Games.

Origin has been set around 100 Million for the Series.