Rugby or Rugby League in the USA?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Rugby or Rugby League in the USA?

Post by Beaussie »

Like many Australians, it seems the Americans also can't tell the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League.

Want proof, just look at the advertising for AUS v USA posted on the American National Rugby League website (http://www.amnrl.com). Even the webmasters of AMNRL talk "rugby" and not league.

damnfunny

Gotta give it to the marketing team involved. Clearly the advertising seen above worked wonders. An official crowd of about 4,500. That's only roughly 49,000 empty seats.

rofl

Just picture it, 4,500 in this stadium:

damnfunny

-
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Rugby or Rugby League in the USA?

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
Like many Australians, it seems the Americans also can't tell the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League.

Want proof, just look at the advertising for AUS v USA posted on the American National Rugby League website (http://www.amnrl.com). Even the webmasters of AMNRL talk "rugby" and not league.

damnfunny

Gotta give it to the marketing team involved. Clearly the advertising seen above worked wonders. An official crowd of about 4,500. That's only roughly 49,000 empty seats.

rofl

Just picture it, 4,500 in this stadium:

damnfunny

-
Clearly, Americans aren't as patriotic as some would suggest.

Is that a big red kangaroo in the slide? It should have big red Wayne - he's the real pest who needs extermination. :lol: :lol:

I wonder if Sara was at the game too.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rugby or Rugby League in the USA?

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
I wonder if Sara was at the game too.
Officially there was roughly 4,000 seats filled by the general public. Sara needed the other 500 seats for herself.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

sad but true. most yanks havent a clue about the differences here, but imust point out that in US colleges there is a rugby (read union) community out there.

also, a new rugby club comp is starting up this year in British Columbia. its pretty big on Vancouver Island.

cheers
john
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Have you heard about or seen any rugby league in your travels? Rugby Union by the sounds of it is the bigger code in both the US and Canada.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

yeah, managed to catch a game on brockton oval in vancouvers stanley park. pretty amatuer stuff though. not even grade 4 in the sydney comp.

league doesnt get much of a mention, but there are examples of both codes on TV here. i managed to see quite a bit of the tri nations tournament, but waaaaay after it happened.

also, evergreen college here in olympia has a rugby team. my mates amy and cece both played here.

also went on a drinking night in seattle with some us rugby players a few months ago. they thought they could sink beers until i came along!!! he he he

nearly fell over when i saw big bad bussling barry hall on tv here too, on and advertisement for fox sports world, a digital cable channel in canada.

cheers
john