A Threat without even knowing

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

A Threat without even knowing

Post by Scorger Man »

It seems that there are people on this website that see rugby league as the biggest threat to their code of choice which is fair enough, rugby league is a popular game. The funny thing is, is that the NRL and it's fans aren't even trying to be a threat!! :lol:

If anyone on this website are feeling threatened, it's the AFL supporters. Tell you what, there must be something bad is going to happen to their game or something because I've never seen or heard anyone get as defensive about a sport as them folk.

Even to the point that they would write off their own nationality just because they play in an opposing code :( As an Indigenous person, I could think of nothing worse than being called a "token" black but it seems there are members of these forums that seem to throw that term around like a tennnis ball.

I believe that there was a statement on the NRL footy Show by an Indigenous Rugby League player who stated that Rugby League was the biggest game in the Aboriginal Community. On a state level , I would agree with the player yes, rugby league is the most popular amongst NSW Kooris and I would even go as far as to say this is the same in QLD with the Murris. On a national level, I couldn't agree with that as the population of Indigenous peoples in AFL based states.

Is this any reason to call him a "Token" or from the "Wannabe" Tribe?? I think someone is just a wee bit threatened by the NRL and the poularity of the game that is NSW. If you don't like it move, move to a state that is compatible with your sporting choices, from what I can gather anyway you wrote the Sydney AFL team off all year anyway complaining of one of the Swans Indigenous players for being involved in the NIC. It brings to question, do you have issues with all Indigenous Sports persons?

I couldn't believe that he actually believes the tripe he can carry on with as I understand the AFL supporter in question is a "learned person".

As this is the case I'm sure that the AFL supporter would also know of the vollenteer work that the NRL player does with the Indigenous Community in both his home town of Armidale and across Australia with "Books in Homes" program that is about bringing literacy up amongst the Indigenous Community. The AFL supporter would also know of the "Bounce Back" program that he is also a patron of. =D>

I think that "Token" and "Wannabe" are too harsh a term for the context that they were being used here which brings me to one conclusion that, the AFL supporter that used these terms lost his cool and got straight on to the defence about the NRL. :<>

Can I ask this question? Who are the ones that crap on daily about TV ratings, crowd support ground figures?? THE AFL SUPPORTERS!! They need to justify themselves for some reason and still for some reason need write propaganda and if all else fails, write off your competition and call them racist, it works every time (Lets not go into the whole Nicky Winmar incident, Rex Hunts' comments, Sam Newmans' antics, let alone the Collingwood curse and why that was imposed). :roll:

As far as the ticker tape parade, you may have of laughed about having a parade in Campbelltown and Leichardt but I think it was the best solution anyway. Who needs a heap of city workers coming out to the parade just because they can get an extra hour off fo their lunch when the people that really count are the ones who live in those areas of Liechardt, Ashfield and Campbelltown. Who needs crowds like those of previous ticker tape parades who had about as much emotion as a dead fish.

Anyway Swans only had a parade because they did the previously unacheiveable by actually winning a flag!! Sydney teams are always winning the NRL premierships.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Firstly I take it you're not referring to me with your dribble about Indigenous sports stars. Glad to read you can see that Widders was way off the mark when he said the first choice of Indigenous Australians was rugby league. What a load of crap that was. Obviously he hasn't bothered to travel outside of NSW and perhaps QLD.

Now with that aside, fair dinkum Scorger, you obviously don't frequent many forums. The Swans winning the AFL GF caused hysteria with rugby league fans over at League Unlimited and Big Footy.

Have a look at some of the shite they write about the AFL. Here is one example, and believe me there are many, many, many more.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showt ... ge=1&pp=15

Take your blinkers off and read what the likes of Roy Masters, Ray Chesterton and Mike Gibson serve up in the Sydney Morning Herald or Daily Telegraph when talking about the AFL. Ever read one of Barry Dick's articles about TV ratings for the AFL/NRL in the Courier Mail? #-o

Do you ever see the AFL journos writing such crap about rugby league? It seems the rugby league fraternity is the most threatened. Not surprising really when they're always looking in awe/jealousy at just how popular the AFL is in Australia. What really worries them though is that NSW and QLD are under attack and there doesn't seem to be much the NRL can do to stop it.

Oh and as for your final point, the Swans got a ticker tape parade because they represent all of Sydney. Do you follow and understand why it would not be appropriate for the Wests Tigers to get such a parade in the streets of the City of Sydney. Like I said, have your parade in Campbelltown or Leichhardt. They'd be about the only areas of Sydney that actually give a rats about the Wests Tigers.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

I don't see NRL as any type of threat. As a matter of fact I really enjoy the NRL as it does help cure Insomnia for many of us AFL supporters out there. As for the term token or wannabe that would be in response to the most ridiculous comments I have ever heard from an Aboriginal person, and that is the comment by Widders.

Sure there are some real good NRL Indigenous players who work hard within their communities on a voluntary basis. But when you have Indigenous NRL players ignoring the fact the many Indigenous people love AFL and make general comments how NRL is the Indigenous communities favourite code then you must have to seriously question where to are coming from and what gives them this opinion.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Graham Cornes: Mike have you taken one hit too many?

01oct05

IT'S been the year of the ugly duckling. Sydney won an AFL flag when most footy observers thought its scrappy game plan wouldn't even get it into the top eight.

Andrew Demetriou was obviously right about Sydney playing ugly football. How wrong he was about Sydney not winning many games. But ugly is the new beautiful.
The winner of the NRL grand final tomorrow will also be an unlikely ugly duckling.

Both teams have come from nowhere. Either unfashionable North Queensland Cowboys, from deep in red-neck country, or the Wests Tigers, that unlikely amalgam of teams from trendy Balmain and Sydney's ugly western suburbs will win their premiership.

Can you imagine Glenelg and Port Adelaide merging to win a flag?

We've also seen the emergence of a couple of ugly-minded sports journalists. Two weeks after claiming the Swans as the sole property of Sydney, iconic Daily Telegraph columnist, Mike Gibson, directed his considerable literary talents to denigrate Aussie Rules generally and the gripping AFL grand final specifically.

What is it with the devotees of rugby league? They continuously expose their inferiority complexes as they take every opportunity to attack and criticise our one true Australian game. Football followers from outside NSW and Queensland couldn't care less.

We obviously prefer Aussie Rules but can sit and appreciate a good game of league. There is no need to denigrate the opposition - the game speaks for itself.

Not so Mike Gibson. One of his statements simply defies belief: "Rugby league wingers - and fullbacks - are more accomplished at taking high marks than AFL players".

Apparently he has formed this opinion on the basis that Leo Barry's memorable mark was the only worthwhile moment in the AFL grand final.

Mike, have you taken one hit too many? Occasionally, a rugby league winger will score by catching a high kick to the corner, and yes, it is truly spectacular.

However, you can see the same thing a dozen times a game in Aussie Rules. Gibson also ridicules the inaccuracy of AFL players when shooting for goal. I'm sure league players do have a better conversion rate when kicking goals, but they have the ball all nicely set up on a kicking tee, and generally they don't kick from a long way out.

They would rarely attempt a drop goal from 40 metres out. And usually only one bloke in the team is the kicker; most of the rest can't kick to save themselves.

Rugby league is supposed to be a running game, but most of the runs are no longer than 5 metres.

It's close, tough and unspectacular, and quite difficult to follow the ball when you are live at the ground. It's a much better spectacle on television.

Occasionally a team like the Wests Tigers comes along with a game based on run, speed and flair, but most games are torrid, stolid affairs.

However, we don't complain, we can appreciate all codes.

But he's a funny bugger, Mike Gibson. He reckons comparing AFL to rugby league is like comparing Edna Everage to Elle Macpherson. He's got it half right: we'll take Elle; they can have Magda Szubanski! She's far better suited to their game.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

I would like to know Scorger Man why my attacking a certain Indigenous player from the Swans for being with the NIC is an issue?

I don't have an issue with Indigenous sports players, but draw the line on unelected representatives of the Indigenous community who involve themselves with the unelected body called the NIC. If that is how you want your 'leaders' to be selected then good on you.....

And yes I knocked the Swans throughout the year but they were worthy Grand Finals winners at the end of the day who made some of us knockers look silly.
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Post by Scorger Man »

Still going on about Widders Beaussie, you should have gone down to the Knockout which was in you neighbourhood last weekend and told him exactly what you thought of him.

And No Beaussie I'm not a frequent visitor of Internet sites, the only reason I come to this one is that the admistrator of this site is a student at where I work so in support I entered into his footy tipping competitions.

And Beaussie you seem to forget the support that the NRL has for the AFL. The week before and after the AFL grandfinal, the NRL footy show made many a comment to congratulate the Swans on getting in to (prior) the GF and winning(post) it the week later. Actually, I believe they had 3 swans players on the show on the second week, so if you can't get your head around a couple of should be retired journos who mainly write for the lollie pop Packer read, then maybe you shouldn't read their articles anymore. An I thought that was the offical paper of the mighty Sydney Swans.........
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Scorger Man wrote:
Still going on about Widders Beaussie, you should have gone down to the Knockout which was in you neighbourhood last weekend and told him exactly what you thought of him.
Not interested in the Knockout or talking with Widders.
Scorger Man wrote:
And No Beaussie I'm not a frequent visitor of Internet sites, the only reason I come to this one is that the admistrator of this site is a student at where I work so in support I entered into his footy tipping competitions.
Well like I said, there is plenty of anti-AFL articles/posts etc out there in cyberworld. This thread you created was basically saying AFL fans are the ones who feel threatened by rugby league. That is not the case. Check out Big Footy for confirmation. Rugby league supporters galore trying to ridicule the AFL at every opportunity over there. That said however, it is for the most part all just a bit of fun anyway, you know, my code is better than yours etc, etc. I myself love giving it rugby league supporters as they seem to really struggle with facts that don't paint such a rosy picture for their beloved code. :wink:
Scorger Man wrote:
And Beaussie you seem to forget the support that the NRL has for the AFL. The week before and after the AFL grandfinal, the NRL footy show made many a comment to congratulate the Swans on getting in to (prior) the GF and winning(post) it the week later. Actually, I believe they had 3 swans players on the show on the second week, so if you can't get your head around a couple of should be retired journos who mainly write for the lollie pop Packer read, then maybe you shouldn't read their articles anymore. An I thought that was the offical paper of the mighty Sydney Swans.........
The NRL Footy Show was on the Swans bandwagon eh? Funny how many times wankers like Mario Fenech or Matthew Johns or Paul Vautin drop the GayFL line when referring to the AFL. About the only one on that show I've seen who doesn't come out with such childish remarks is Peter Sterling.

In any case, the AFL Footy Show has also had the Melbourne Storm players on and wished them luck etc. You don't see the AFL guys resorting to lines like GayRL though do you? Who is threatened by who again?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Alls we have to do is look at Demetrious ten point plan to see how scared the afl are. Beaussie bring it back up its a bloody hilarious read.

As for nrl people attacking afl, i believe you beaussie. They are insecure about the afl....just like you are insecure about rugby league. I only speak truth. So beaussie continue to act in the same yet opposing way as these stupid nrl supporters from other forums.

We nrl supporters here on this forum find you funny, insecure, kooky, and insane. I like it. :lol: :wink:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Interesting comments Scorger Man...

I note that no one could say anything about your comments that Widders does actually do a lot of good work within the Aboriginal communities in Northern NSW and elsewhere....

And as far as AFL journos not saying anything about NRL, have you goons ever read anything by Patrick Smith??

The bile that comes from that Fat barstads pen beggars belief!

Pat , go fall off another roof and die you fat piece of dog shit! :x
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

It is alleged that Widders does a lot of good work in the Aboriginal community in Northern NSW....so what!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Willis 21 wrote:

I note that no one could say anything about your comments that Widders does actually do a lot of good work within the Aboriginal communities in Northern NSW and elsewhere....

And as far as AFL journos not saying anything about NRL, have you goons ever read anything by Patrick Smith??

There there willis, that patty upsets you greatly i can tell. :lol:

Ahhh some people, get their knickers all tied in a knot over a journalist hacking on a sport. :lol:

There there willis...there there.

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:

To be honest I wouldn't know. In fact I didn't even know who Widders was until I heard he was called a black c*** on a rugby league field.
Willis 21 wrote:

Patrick is a fine journalist. I haven't seen any of this bile that you talk of. Not saying it hasn't happened but I'm just not aware of it. Rugby league journos sticking the boot into the AFL on the other hand. Well, Roy Masters, Barry Dick, Ray Chesterton and Mike Gibson instantly spring to mind. Oh and lets not forget the likes of the shcok jocks in Sydney, wankers like John Stanley, Alan Jones, Ray Hadley and John Harker. Sydney seems to be filled with insecure rugby league supporters. The AFL has them running scared.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

There there beaussie...there there. :lol:

xman wrote: