Who or Where is Next?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Who or Where is Next?

Post by Fred »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:20 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am
Fred wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:35 am
Now Tassie is locked in …..

Where will the 20th team be located?

My thoughts on viable options

Canberra

3rd Adelaide Team

Newcastle

Less viable

A “top end” team based out of Darwin and plays games in Cairns (cairns and surrounds has a strong Aussie Rules following) -

A team in regional Victoria - maybe taking in south east down to Gippsland

A regional team taking in Riverina area where there is a strong Aussie rules presence.

For me- the obvious choice is Canberra - this would force the reconfiguring of the whole GWS deal forcing them to focus more locally - and Canberra already has a strong Aussie Rules following. Is also close enough to get to for Sydney and Victorian team supporters and I think a good rivalary would develop between them and GWS.

Obviously NT is deserving of a team given it”s a strong Aussie Rules area but just don’t see viability re: population and infrastructure.
The fact that there is not one clear choice, is why I believe that there will eventually be 22 teams in the AFL.
Out of the leaders, I would choose the Canberra area, to be known as CMM Rams. Canberra-Murray-Monaro, with most home games played in Canberra, 1 in Albury-Wodonga and 1 alternatively in Wagga Wagga and Somewhere like Batemans Bay.
Then NT/Northern Australia, I think it will need to be a Northern Australian side, logistics issues notwithstanding.

Then no 22. Newcastle., Wollongong? Sunshine Coast. 3rd WA…..Central Coast NSW?
Newcastle will never have an AFL team. The jets struggle there and soccer is way more popular than AFL in Newcastle.

Northern Territory has too small a population.

Wollongong would be a failure for AFL too. Rusted on soccer and league fans and not enough money, no round stadiums.

Central Coast is league and soccer too. Are no round stadiums there either.

Canberra would be AFLs only option for a new team in a new city location.

Yes, think Canberra is the best option
Veni, vidi, vici
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Who or Where is Next?

Post by GlobalRugbyLeague »

Fred wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:13 pm
GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:20 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am

The fact that there is not one clear choice, is why I believe that there will eventually be 22 teams in the AFL.
Out of the leaders, I would choose the Canberra area, to be known as CMM Rams. Canberra-Murray-Monaro, with most home games played in Canberra, 1 in Albury-Wodonga and 1 alternatively in Wagga Wagga and Somewhere like Batemans Bay.
Then NT/Northern Australia, I think it will need to be a Northern Australian side, logistics issues notwithstanding.

Then no 22. Newcastle., Wollongong? Sunshine Coast. 3rd WA…..Central Coast NSW?
Newcastle will never have an AFL team. The jets struggle there and soccer is way more popular than AFL in Newcastle.

Northern Territory has too small a population.

Wollongong would be a failure for AFL too. Rusted on soccer and league fans and not enough money, no round stadiums.

Central Coast is league and soccer too. Are no round stadiums there either.

Canberra would be AFLs only option for a new team in a new city location.

Yes, think Canberra is the best option
Canberra seams a no brainier for the AFL. The only trouble is GWS can't get enough support in just Western Sydney, they need Canberra to help stay financially viable.