AFL Opening Round in NSW and QLD

Australian Football news and discussion.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Re: AFL Opening Round in NSW and QLD

Post by Quolls2019 »

A good crowd for the Swans tonight, but not a capacity crowd.
A few spare seats.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Quolls2019 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm
A few spare seats.
Not capacity but possibly a sell out. Stick watching an ABBA special …. (I don’t rule the TV and have to sacrifice games strategically so I can watch my Pies :). )
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:14 pm
A few spare seats.
Not capacity but possibly a sell out. Stick watching an ABBA special …. (I don’t rule the TV and have to sacrifice games strategically so I can watch my Pies :). )
Only 1 tv…..troglodyte.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

A few spare seats.
Well that's strange because it's been announced as a sellout. Oh wait...........this is the fumbling game. Where lies roll off the tongue quicker than a skinny white kid can get a point for missing lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. It's a sellout..................except for all the empty seats. Thanks for reality check ineQUOLLity!!!
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by azif »

Terry wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:13 am
A few spare seats.
Well that's strange because it's been announced as a sellout. Oh wait...........this is the fumbling game. Where lies roll off the tongue quicker than a skinny white kid can get a point for missing lololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. It's a sellout..................except for all the empty seats. Thanks for reality check ineQUOLLity!!!
8000 of em
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:56 am
A few spare seats.

8000 of em
Yes, 8,000. There were quite a few watching from the bars on levels 1 & 2, but not 8000.
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am
azif wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:56 am

8000 of em
Yes, 8,000. There were quite a few watching from the bars on levels 1 & 2, but not 8000.
the Sydney cricket ground has a capacity for football of 48K
so yea

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

The SCG was officially opened in its current form in 1886, but sport has been played in its vicinity for many more years than that. Sydney Swans first played on the ground in 1982, when 15,764 spectators saw them defeat Melbourne by 29 points. The ground has received various upgrades to improve spectator facilities over time and has a record crowd of 46,168 for AFL matches set in 1997.

Capacity: 46,817
Address: Driver Avenue, Moore Park, NSW 2021
Ground dimensions: 149m x 136m

https://www.afl.com.au/venues/9
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:47 pm
The SCG was officially opened in its current form in 1886, but sport has been played in its vicinity for many more years than that. Sydney Swans first played on the ground in 1982, when 15,764 spectators saw them defeat Melbourne by 29 points. The ground has received various upgrades to improve spectator facilities over time and has a record crowd of 46,168 for AFL matches set in 1997.

Capacity: 46,817
Address: Driver Avenue, Moore Park, NSW 2021
Ground dimensions: 149m x 136m

https://www.afl.com.au/venues/9
ydney Cricket Ground Details
Sydney Cricket Ground Logo
LocationSydney, New South Wales VIEW MAPAddress1 Moore Park Road, Moore Park NSW 2021 GET DIRECTIONSCapacity48,000Seats48,000 (100% of capacity)Record Crowd78,056 - 1965 NSWRL: St.George Vs South SydneyHighest Crowd since 200346,323 - 09/09/17: AFL Finals: Sydney Swans v Essendon LightsYesArena RoofNoVideo ScreenYesArena Dimensions155 x
136mOpened1851Redeveloped2013

https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/scg
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

the AFL are not to be trusted with anything they say, post , claim or state
they are the manipulators of information
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

opening round will be a success for the AFL

though i think these games mid year
would of been attended by around the same capacity anyways

as they are 3 Big Victorian clubs who travel in big numbers
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:34 pm

Melbourne supporters are renowned for not attending games at home. - let alone travelling interstate. But yes on the other three - and Swans regularly draw a good crowd anyway on their own.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:34 pm

sure , the raw numbers look... okay..
Im just not sure that " desperation " is a good look though & the stuffing around of the draw , the allocation of byes etc in an attempt to keep pace with the NRL & its bold vision & delivery of an event in the USA , & to give their fans something different to open their season .

they felt pressure .... look at what the NRL is doing .. what can we do?
In reality , the NRL doing what it did had nothing to do with the AFL , the NRL wasn't targeting them or attempting to diminish them with their games in the USA

the AFL however , insecure .. threatened ... defensive .. passive aggressive reaction was an attack on the NRL ( they said it was ) & it was not required. Smart fumblers , & believe it or not , there are some.... :lol: believe the AFL reacting with " its business as usual " would of been a greater show of strength & security, We will do what we always do , we don't care what the NRL is doing , & maybe have a frontier round ( sort of what you're suggesting ) mimicking this zero round , later in the year.

but
the AFL
" blinked "
caved
did their impression of headless chooks

PVL got in their heads
its hilarious
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think if it was making hay whilst the sun shined so to speak - they should have had it a week earlier - when no NRL was on. I thought that was the whole point.

I know AFL clubs in QLD and NSW have been calling for an earlier start for years, stating by having a couple of weeks of NRL - free air so to speak, makes it a bit more difficult, particularly already being the underdog up this way to start with.

I agree, I don't think this has been executed too well - and it is a good point - AFL have never really consider the NRL a threat to their overall dominance - and I still don't think they do in heartland states - have been more concerned about soccer - and at one time, basketball - but never really NRL - and I think that is still the case - go to Victoria and you will see the complete lack of hardly any presence at grassroots level to see what I mean. However, in QLD and Sydney - they rightly do see that as a battle ground so to speak - or somewhere where they are trying to grow the game - and here, I believe they have been reactionary - and I believe with locals who may be open to both sports, it looked a little (lot) desperate - and dare I say second rate and amateurish - which is usually very un AFL like - I worry that roles may have slowly been reversed somewhat - hopefully only temporarily :)
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:38 pm
I think if it was making hay whilst the sun shined so to speak - they should have had it a week earlier - when no NRL was on. I thought that was the whole point.

I know AFL clubs in QLD and NSW have been calling for an earlier start for years, stating by having a couple of weeks of NRL - free air so to speak, makes it a bit more difficult, particularly already being the underdog up this way to start with.

I agree, I don't think this has been executed too well - and it is a good point - AFL have never really consider the NRL a threat to their overall dominance - and I still don't think they do in heartland states - have been more concerned about soccer - and at one time, basketball - but never really NRL - and I think that is still the case - go to Victoria and you will see the complete lack of hardly any presence at grassroots level to see what I mean. However, in QLD and Sydney - they rightly do see that as a battle ground so to speak - or somewhere where they are trying to grow the game - and here, I believe they have been reactionary - and I believe with locals who may be open to both sports, it looked a little (lot) desperate - and dare I say second rate and amateurish - which is usually very un AFL like - I worry that roles may have slowly been reversed somewhat - hopefully only temporarily :)
i think its fans in the afl heartland who would be the most disappointed with the afls reaction & strategy , they'd of expected more from their sports leadership . while appreciating the struggles the sport is having in NSW & QLD , looking rattled & playing catchup .. throwing tradition out the window & sacrificing the draw for a bizzare concept that will have little affect on the Nthn states anyway because of how its been delivered .. rather then

good luck NRL
we wish you well.
disarms PVL .. he couldn't respond to that level of confidence