Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 167 times

Re: 2018 - Australian Football TV Ratings - AFL, AFL Womens etc

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/aussi ... zcb5a.html

"Across the population, Australians spend an average of 2 hours and 41 minutes each day watching free-to-air and/or subscription channels on in-home TV sets. That's just 37 fewer minutes per day than six years ago (in Q2 2011), despite the range of new options."

As you can see from the graph below, Australians under 35 have slashed their television-watching hours by around 20 per cent in the last 12 months alone. The drop is accelerating with each report, this time last year the average drop was around 10 per cent.

The report proudly proclaims that "two thirds of 18-24 year-olds, who are traditionally among the lightest TV viewers relative to the overall population, watched broadcast TV channels weekly in the latest quarter". In other words, one third of them can go for a week watching absolutely no broadcast television.

Brings the drop in FTA ratings for both codes into perspective. The AFL have suffered even more so given they competed with the commonwealth games and royal wedding on their own network
All good. Problem is your sport is down 20% on Tv ratings on Wookies latest numbers but Rl is up .6%. This is massive pal!!!!!! No one predicted this. And of course the NRL also competed with the Comm games & the royal wedding.

Your game is in trouble my friend.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/aussi ... zcb5a.html

"Across the population, Australians spend an average of 2 hours and 41 minutes each day watching free-to-air and/or subscription channels on in-home TV sets. That's just 37 fewer minutes per day than six years ago (in Q2 2011), despite the range of new options."

As you can see from the graph below, Australians under 35 have slashed their television-watching hours by around 20 per cent in the last 12 months alone. The drop is accelerating with each report, this time last year the average drop was around 10 per cent.

The report proudly proclaims that "two thirds of 18-24 year-olds, who are traditionally among the lightest TV viewers relative to the overall population, watched broadcast TV channels weekly in the latest quarter". In other words, one third of them can go for a week watching absolutely no broadcast television.

Brings the drop in FTA ratings for both codes into perspective. The AFL have suffered even more so given they competed with the commonwealth games and royal wedding on their own network
All good. Problem is your sport is down 20% on Tv ratings on Wookies latest numbers but Rl is up .6%. This is massive pal!!!!!! No one predicted this. And of course the NRL also competed with the Comm games & the royal wedding.

Your game is in trouble my friend.
I think the combination of TV ratings down overall, the commonwealth games and royal wedding sending matches to 7mate, and a drop in neutral viewers due to unattractive games, has resulted in such a large drop. I dont think it's nearly as drastic as what you think
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:30 am
Roy may be Bias towards Rugby League>>> but he does not manipulate Numbers or figures>>
The following part from Roy’s article got my attention, especially after leaguies had suggested the opposite. :roll:

If current trends continue, the NRL will have a higher premiership season audience than the AFL for the first time since 2011.

So the AFL has dominated the NRL in tv ratings since 2011? Cool, but to be expected I would’ve thought.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Our season is not just the Domestic comp .
Yours is .
We have rep games that have down sides to that comp & also a big upside .
Still with the 3 SOO games we still have less games per season .
Less games on FTA .
Yet we absolutely smash you .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:12 am
Lol
Yours is .
Less games on FTA .
our FTA advantage is barely there given we both have 2 prime time games, and 1 sunday game. Our extra 4th game is often delayed into each market, or on 7 mate, or in Melbourne's case not even shown. I think you'll find in the end we both get around the same number of FTA games given you have a longer season. And no, you dont smash us in FTA, only fox for obvious reasons
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Lol
Yours is .
Less games on FTA .
LOL

Well likewise our season is more than just tv ratings.

On every other measurement the AFL totally dominates the NRL, whether that be crowds, membership numbers, sponsorships, revenue streams, social and media presence etc, etc.

You lot will always be No.2 in the big scheme of things. Enjoy that silver.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 am
Roy may be Bias towards Rugby League>>> but he does not manipulate Numbers or figures>>
The following part from Roy’s article got my attention, especially after leaguies had suggested the opposite. :roll:

If current trends continue, the NRL will have a higher premiership season audience than the AFL for the first time since 2011.

So the AFL has dominated the NRL in tv ratings since 2011? Cool, but to be expected I would’ve thought.
Once again Beatup you don't follow my advice - research, research, research my friend. Roy was comparing the actual AFL & NRL domestic competitions only. You must read articles more carefully lest you look a tad silly pal!!!! The NRL has many less games to accumulate aggregate numbers than the AFL.

When folk, like Wookie, sensibly add the the number of rep RL games, to equal the number of AFL games, to the RL total it is a smashing win for the good 'ol girl RL. Which is of course the fair way to do it - compare the exact same number of games - just like Wookie has done year on year - well up to last year anyway when that dullard Fred convinced him to add the womens mess, pre season & old boys exhibition game but still got smashed lololololol!!!!!

But good on ya for finally adding something Beatup. I know it's probably been hard for ya with your code suffering such a annus horribilis on multiple fronts this year - but please join us more!!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

that is correct, where the NRL gets the Jump over those years is when SOO is added in.

also another point is> NRL has more FTA coverage now than ever before>> which has also helped the Figures climb
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:04 am

that is correct, where the NRL gets the Jump over those years is when SOO is added in.

also another point is> NRL has more FTA coverage now than ever before>> which has also helped the Figures climb
they also use Thursday and Friday nights for FTA which are typically better nights for ratings overall than Saturday night. It doesnt help their crowds though, although AFL doesnt really seem to suffer from poor crowds on Thursday in the same way
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Beaussie wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 am
Lol
Yours is .
Less games on FTA .
LOL

On every other measurement the AFL totally dominates the NRL, whether that be crowds, membership numbers, sponsorships, revenue streams, social and media presence etc, etc.

DEFLECTION ALERT....the usual afl ploy
This is a ratings thread ..please keep your deflective ramblings away from here. .

The afl is getting schooled by the NRL in the ratings
With less teams
With less games
With one teams home ratings not counted in AUST .

But but but

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am
Lol
Yours is .
Less games on FTA .
LOL

This is a ratings thread ..please keep your deflective ramblings away from here. .

With less teams
With less games

But but but
as often as you ignore it I'll keep reminding you, more games played doesnt mean more available games to watch on TV. If you schedule 2 games at the same time you cant be counted watching both. Therefore, for TV, the AFL have less games available for their audience.

So you can fuck your 'more games' right off. It's actually less for TV, far less
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:07 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am

LOL

With less teams
With less games

But but but
as often as you ignore it I'll keep reminding you, more games played doesnt mean more available games to watch on TV. If you schedule 2 games at the same time you cant be counted watching both. Therefore, for TV, the AFL have less games available for their audience.

So you can fuck your 'more games' right off. It's actually less for TV, far less
Not that I want to get into the goldfish bowl with ya pal but for your mad theories to be true you must assume that every AFL viewer wants to, & in fact does when they can, watch every game on every weekend. Clearly you have no proof of this - you just use it as an excuse.

I mean how many ppl actually watch multiple games every weekend of their chosen sport? I make a point of watching my team most weeks & maybe one or two more games over the weekend depending on my busy schedule.

Obviously if 2 game's of fumbling clash on the weekend a fan will watch their team if they're playing or make a choice as to which is the better game. Either way the game they miss is of little concern to them which is reflected in the game replay numbers.

Only AFL zealots with sad lonely lives would want to watch 9 games of the mess each weekend lololololol. I would suggest your theory has only a small to tiny effect on the overall numbers.

And as I have repeatedly said, over and over and over again - if it is such a problem - change it!!!!! Silly Gilly has the power!! Problem solved!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Yep excatly
It's a piss poor excuse .
I don't know anyone who watches all 8 games of RL each weekend .
It'd be the same for all 9 games of let's fumble .

People pick & choose the interesting games or the ones with their team in it .
I'd maybe watch 3
Back to the drawing board for a new excuse .

Maybe the Comm Games hangover is still affecting the numbers .

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm
Not that I want to get into the goldfish bowl with ya pal but for your mad theories to be true you must assume that every AFL viewer wants to, & in fact does when they can, watch every game on every weekend. Clearly you have no proof of this - you just use it as an excuse.
Wrong. Even if an AFL fan wanted to watch a Saturday afternoon of games, they can only watch 2 despite 3 being played. yet at the same time an NRL fan could watch all 3 and be counted thrice.
I mean how many ppl actually watch multiple games every weekend of their chosen sport? I make a point of watching my team most weeks & maybe one or two more games over the weekend depending on my busy schedule.
Many, as proven by the storm v cowboys game the other night. An audience of nearly 1m yet only about 200k from both regions. 800k neutral supporters would then go on and watch their own clubs games over the weekend
Obviously if 2 game's of fumbling clash on the weekend a fan will watch their team if they're playing or make a choice as to which is the better game. Either way the game they miss is of little concern to them which is reflected in the game replay numbers.
well the numbers are far lower for concurrent games compared to games shown in isolation. this is because around 500-700k watch either code on FTA each evening, and around 200k - 350k on fox. Two games merely splits the audience in two, and the average and total ends up being way less for the same number of games. 2 games are played but only 1 can be watched, reducing the available games on TV
And as I have repeatedly said, over and over and over again - if it is such a problem - change it!!!!! Silly Gilly has the power!! Problem solved!!!
it's only an issue when comparing ratings to a program with an entirely different arrangment
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:19 pm
Yep excatly
It's a piss poor excuse .
I don't know anyone who watches all 8 games of RL each weekend .
It'd be the same for all 9 games of let's fumble .

People pick & choose the interesting games or the ones with their team in it .
I'd maybe watch 3
Back to the drawing board for a new excuse .

Maybe the Comm Games hangover is still affecting the numbers .
it doesnt have to involve every game. Even an afternoon of sports viewing on TV will be enough to favour the code with isolated games as opposed to the concurrent games.