Australias Greatest Sporting Event!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Australias Greatest Sporting Event!

Post by Fred »

If you say so.. seems some opinions vary on here.

I know cumulative totals were quoted for the codes as a whole late last year and Aussie rules seems to be in front on that one. I am not sure what they would be if just nrl home and away v afl home and away but given afl has won most weeks I would be surprised. Averages I think are the best measure and with nrl home and away having 8 and afl 9 then it may be closer with nrl in front ... however with there being two afl games on at once it makes it all a bit of a mess really. I do agree that head to head where just 1 game on , like a Thursday night , may be a good measure but even then you are going to get people from both codes arguing of the nuances of what is and isn't fair or correct. I'll leave that to them.

But the nrl in general I do think is no where near as big as adl as an entity. Business wise afl dwarfs the nrl .. afl is by far the biggest sporting code in the country I believe. It is played all over the country with decent numbers and leagues,etc.

Whereas you take soo out of the rl calendar and what Di you have ? The nrl rates well no doubt in nsw and qld but is virtually non existent in other states. Grassroots is really really poor when you compare the Aussie rules in nsw and qld. Even the local leagues get reported in the paper on the Gold Coast and also up and down the qls sea board. That's not saying it is dominant in those areas but it has a presence.

The lack of expansion into non tradition markets has also held the game back. The reluctance of earlier administrations to do so, maybe bruised by super league efforts, has seen the game stagnate. Even the move into Melbourne was tokenistic with no real infrastructure at grassroots level. I really do believe back then there was a Sydney centric view and a thinking that it didn't need to grow outside these areas as Sydney is the biggest market and that's all the cared about. I think that is changing a little but the storm were just plonked into Melbourne when they started. When there are as many Victorians playing nrl as there are qld or nsw players afl then we will know it's changed. The one thing rl does have going for it is that it is popular in the biggest and third biggest markets in the country in Sydney and Brisbane.... something that keeps them afloat and viable.

Crowds are pathetic. In a country where people love to go to sport ... nrl crowds are a disgrace. The goal was set for 20000 average and they can't even reach that. Thank goodness Brisbane draw a good crowd. What is it .. around 16000? I would hate to think what it is for Sydney games alone. The swans are pulling large numbers and the giants growing, so Sydney culture can't be the excuse. And heaps will go to soo... so why aren't they going to the weekly nrl games?

I could go on and on... revenue, membership, sponsorship...

Anyway... please feel free to comment to the contrary. I think I already know the comments but please try and be serious. I'll give a tick when predicted comments are made.

:)

😊

Enjoy
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:05 pm

I know cumulative totals were quoted for the codes as a whole late last year and Aussie rules seems to be in front on that one. I am not sure what they would be if just nrl home and away v afl home and away but given afl has won most weeks I would be surprised. Averages I think are the best measure and with nrl home and away having 8 and afl 9 then it may be closer with nrl in front ... however with there being two afl games on at once it makes it all a bit of a mess really. I do agree that head to head where just 1 game on , like a Thursday night , may be a good measure but even then you are going to get people from both codes arguing of the nuances of what is and isn't fair or correct. I'll leave that to them.

But the nrl in general I do think is no where near as big as adl as an entity. Business wise afl dwarfs the nrl .. afl is by far the biggest sporting code in the country I believe. It is played all over the country with decent numbers and leagues,etc.

Whereas you take soo out of the rl calendar and what Di you have ? The nrl rates well no doubt in nsw and qld but is virtually non existent in other states. Grassroots is really really poor when you compare the Aussie rules in nsw and qld. Even the local leagues get reported in the paper on the Gold Coast and also up and down the qls sea board. That's not saying it is dominant in those areas but it has a presence.

The lack of expansion into non tradition markets has also held the game back. The reluctance of earlier administrations to do so, maybe bruised by super league efforts, has seen the game stagnate. Even the move into Melbourne was tokenistic with no real infrastructure at grassroots level. I really do believe back then there was a Sydney centric view and a thinking that it didn't need to grow outside these areas as Sydney is the biggest market and that's all the cared about. I think that is changing a little but the storm were just plonked into Melbourne when they started. When there are as many Victorians playing nrl as there are qld or nsw players afl then we will know it's changed. The one thing rl does have going for it is that it is popular in the biggest and third biggest markets in the country in Sydney and Brisbane.... something that keeps them afloat and viable.

Crowds are pathetic. In a country where people love to go to sport ... nrl crowds are a disgrace. The goal was set for 20000 average and they can't even reach that. Thank goodness Brisbane draw a good crowd. What is it .. around 16000? I would hate to think what it is for Sydney games alone. The swans are pulling large numbers and the giants growing, so Sydney culture can't be the excuse. And heaps will go to soo... so why aren't they going to the weekly nrl games?

Anyway... please feel free to comment to the contrary. I think I already know the comments but please try and be serious. I'll give a tick when predicted comments are made.

😊

Enjo
Lolololololololololololololololol the great waffling dill is back. This happens at SOO time every year. The fumblers go into meltdown. Try to keep your dummy in Fred. Why not just PM Wookie over SOO time so you two dills can waffle lyrical about the greatness of fumbleball without the distraction of SOO........lolololololol. There's a boy.......lolololololololol
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh my
The same shit argument every time
IF YOU TAKE OUT SOO .
No
Fuck off ,...it's a part of our season .
If your sport has no rep scene ...bad fucking luck .
We have . .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Terry wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 pm
Fred wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:05 pm

😊

Enjo
Lolololololololololololololololol the great waffling dill is back. This happens at SOO time every year. The fumblers go into meltdown. Try to keep your dummy in Fred. Why not just PM Wookie over SOO time so you two dills can waffle lyrical about the greatness of fumbleball without the distraction of SOO........lolololololol. There's a boy.......lolololololololol

Dill✅
I should have had deflection and not address a word said but had that for someone else.
Last edited by Fred on Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm
Oh my
The same shit argument every time
IF YOU TAKE OUT SOO .
No
Fuck off ,...it's a part of our season .
If your sport has no rep scene ...bad fucking luck .
We have . .

Well you got me there crapper... had you pinned for none of that. I disagree that soo is part of the nrl season. The nrl season is the home and away and finals. I guess it comes nes down to interpretation of season. I do see where your coming from though ... but seriously, if you take away soo from rl you are left with the nrl season and internationals .

I did think you would find one thing to dispute and not address the other issues raised so ✅ there I guess but was thinking you would find a technical error or interpret something very literally ... which you've been not doing so much so well done there.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

It is part of our season .
It's why the byes are around this period .
It's run by the NRL
The players are from the NRL .
It's part of our season

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Nope. The season is all about finding the best club b team. Soo is not.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Maybe in your sport .
Ours is different .
We have rep games .you don't .
They're part of our season .
No matter how many times you say they aren't doesn't make it true

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:30 pm
It's run by the NRL
It's part of our season
its the pinnacle of your season, and get a massive boost in following from once a year fans. However, its between two Australian states only. Dont kid yourself that the rest of Australia is more than remotely interested
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:30 pm
It's run by the NRL
It's part of our season
its the pinnacle of your season, and get a massive boost in following from once a year fans. However, its between two Australian states only. Dont kid yourself that the rest of Australia is more than remotely interested
I don't know....it's so easy with fumblers like this dill. He says, 'Dont kid yourself that the rest of Australia is more than remotely interested'. The 3 games are consistently in the top 5 watched TV programs of the year. Year on year. Over and over. Pal, that is more than 'remote interest'. Nurse please......lololololololololololol.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

AS I said, theres a massive number of once a year RL fans that tune in for it, even way more than your own GF. Well done for having 3 popular games for the year
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 pm
Maybe in your sport .
Ours is different .
We have rep games .you don't .
They're part of our season .
No matter how many times you say they aren't doesn't make it true
Soo is something that is separate to the nrl season. Soo does not contribute to the home and away system or finals. Whilst I appreciate rep footy is part and parcel of the sport of rl it has nothing intentionally to do with the nrl home and away season thus it is not part of the nrl season.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh yes it is .
Why do we only have 4 games this week instead of 8 .

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

So they can play the soo. But whoever wins soo has no bearing on the nrl season. None. Points are given for who wins the club games throughout the season. The top eight teams based on points scored play in the finals. The team that wins the finals series is deemed to be the winner.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

If they start awarding points up clubs based on soo wins then you will be correct. Until then...,,
Veni, vidi, vici