AFL to benefit from backlash against NRL TV deal

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Way to to go Dave Smith. Alienate other broadcasters and see them turn to the AFL. :(/ :(/ :(/
The Australian |
August 17, 2015 12:00AM

Anger at the NRL’s premature ­decision to shut other media ­organisations out of its new broadcasting deal with the Nine ­Network will result in a windfall for the AFL.

Negotiations to conclude a new AFL broadcast deal with Foxtel ­accelerated last week as a response to the NRL’s $925 million deal with Nine to broadcast four games a week from 2018. The NRL announcement ­coincided with the arrival in Australia of News Corp ’s board, including chief executive and Essendon ­supporter Robert Thomson, and executive chairman Rupert ­Murdoch, which resulted in swift competitive action.

The Australian understands that Thomson led the negotiations with the AFL in Melbourne and preparations were being made for an announcement on Friday ­afternoon in Melbourne, with Mr Murdoch preparing to fly south from Sydney to attend. Negotiations were not concluded and are believed to have continued during the weekend.

Mr Murdoch has extended his stay in Australia, although it is not known whether he did so for the AFL negotiations.

News Corp Australia and its anticipated free-to-air partner on the post-2017 deal and partner on the current deal, the Seven ­Network, would not comment on negotiations.

But The Australian understands the NRL’s decision not to tender its broadcast rights after accepting Nine’s four games a week, $925m deal stunned Nine’s competitors across the sector and sparked furious deal-making with the AFL.

The NRL-Nine deal is likely to lead to a lower overall deal, with the value of subscription TV and digital rights for the code now ­diminished. It has no chance of reaching the NRL’s anticipated $2 billion total.

Indeed, its decision to give Nine a Saturday night game took away Fox Sports’ competitive advantage with the code as Saturday’s sole broadcaster, a move exacerbated by the NRL’s move to abandon Monday Night football, which is broadcast on Fox Sports.

It then handed Thursday night games to Nine in a double ­whammy against Fox Sports that has effectively killed any interest other broadcasters might have in the four least attractive games each round.

The NRL’s seeming abandonment of the benefits of round-the-clock coverage of its sport on Fox Sports and in News Corp newspapers and digital sites, including The Daily Telegraph and Courier-Mail, is likely to see News Corp’s attention swing to the AFL.

It is not clear whether Foxtel (a Telstra and News Corp Australia company) will even share NRL broadcasts with Nine in the post-2018 deal.

The AFL will be the beneficiary with current rights holder Foxtel close to broking another ­lucrative cross-sector deal with another FTA broadcaster, anticipated to be Seven.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan, who as chief operating officer negotiated the previous broadcast rights deal, will deliver on his hope of a substantial increase on the record $1.25bn deal signed in 2011 between Seven, ­Foxtel and Telstra.

The AFL will also attack the NRL by programming more Thursday night games from 2017.

Fox Sports’ increased focus on the Fox Footy channel is believed to have resulted in improved ­subscriptions in its previously troubled Melbourne market.

The NRL’s expectation that it will boost its rights deal from ­digital players also appears to be misplaced, with streaming giant Netflix reiterating to The Australian last month that it had no ­interest, here or in the US, in broadcasting sport.

Global experience suggests that digital players are yet to ­embrace sport as lead broadcasters. The American National ­Football League’s recent speculative decision to give one match next year to a digital player exclusively did not see Google or its YouTube interested, although Yahoo bought the match.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 7485991139
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: AFL to benefit from backlash against NRL TV deal

Post by eelofwest »

Keep dreaming, more spin to try and work down the NRL's Pay tv deal....

Nothing new was said in that article and like clockworks the blind fumblers lap it up.... :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol:

Bea in desperation your making yourself look quite silly, i think News are playing all there cards now but guess what?

The NRL has over a year to make them squirm.... :wink:
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

The AFL will also attack the NRL by programming more Thursday night games from 2017.

:_<> :_<> :_<>

Found that part quite funny.
When you have to say you are attacking another code it sorta makes it obvious that we are dealing with a derpballer who wrote this article, because it goes without saying that you are attacking another code especially when you have expansion teams in a Area were know one gives a toss.

What you think the NRL's Saturday game is going to do to your Swans and GWS ratings games?

No more free Air time in sydney for the fumblers... :wink:

Gone... :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Wow, seems such a great deal for Channel 9. :?>

They're already keen to offload games to another network. Are the other networks interested though?
Seems Nine boss David Gyngell is already looking to off-load NRL matches he grabbed this week in a $925 million deal. Word is Gyngell has organised to meet new Ten CEO Paul Anderson next week. Of Nine’s four weekly matches, the most likely to be onsold would be the Saturday night game

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tal ... 7484215473
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

eelofwest wrote:

What you think the NRL's Saturday game is going to do to your Swans and GWS ratings games?

No more free Air time in sydney for the fumblers... :wink:

Gone... :lol:
We already go head to head with you on Friday nights. Nationally the AFL smashes the NRL. :thumbleft:

Fri TV #AFL #AFLSwansPies Seven 506k (Mel 384k Ade 122k) 7mate 169k (Syd 49k Bri 19k Per 102k)
Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLSwansPies 317k

Fri TV #NRL Nine 575k (Syd 309k Bri 266k) GEM 37k (Mel 21k Per 16k)
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Yep, just as I thought. Channel 7, 9, 10 and Foxtel all keen for a piece of the AFL. Let the bidding begin. :afro:
Nine, which bought the Nine stations in Perth and Adelaide two years ago as part of a deal under which it paid $450 million over five years for cricket rights, could be in the market for rights to live AFL matches featuring the teams from those two cities.

Live matches, whether home or away, of Port Adelaide and Adelaide, and Fremantle and West Coast, rate extremely well in their home cities and achieve solid figures in Melbourne.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busines ... iyya0.html
AFLsforPussies
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles-Wakefield Wildcats-England FC

Post by AFLsforPussies »

What a load of shite from a bitter AFL journalist. :cool:
Do you really think Newscorp will show more interest in AFL in NSW and Qld when Queensland cup rugby league often gets more viewers than AFL. :lol: :lol:

The AFL grand final was beaten by kitchen shows in tv ratings last year as well as State of Origins and the NRL grand final.

State of origins have also out rated every single AFL game this year. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

I am sure broadcasters will recognise these figures. :cool:

The new free to air NRL broadcast deal is also very similar to the current AFL deal that is going for seven and fox at the moment.

AFL really have little that is new to bring to the table for it's next free to air broadcast deal on seven, unlike the new NRL deal which has brought alot new as in extra games.
This makes the whole AFL article even more amusing. :lol: :lol:
Growing Rugby League in the USA.
http://www.usarl.com

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The AFL absolutely smashes the NRL week to week. Take this weekend just gone as an example. NRL smashed up every day of the weekend.

Friday

Fri TV #AFL #AFLSwansPies Seven 506k (Mel 384k Ade 122k) 7mate 169k (Syd 49k Bri 19k Per 102k)
Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLSwansPies 317k

Fri TV #NRL Nine 575k (Syd 309k Bri 266k) GEM 37k (Mel 21k Per 16k)

Saturday

Sat TV #AFL arvo #Seven 259k (Mel 114k Ade 101k Per 44k) #7mate 30k (Syd 19k Bri 11k)
Sat TV #AFL night #Seven 419k (Mel 334k Ade 85k) #7mate 130k (Syd 22k Bri 22k Per 86k)
Sat TV #VFL #Seven Mel 48k

Sat STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLCatsHawks 241k #AFLPowerGiants 174k #AFLDonsCrows 132k #AFLNorthSaints 111k #AFLLionsBlues 72k

Sat STV #NRL #FoxSports #NRLRoostersEels 270k #NRLTigersKnights 190k #NRLPanthersWarriors 165k

Sunday

Sun TV #AFL Seven 509k (Mel 193k Ade 44k Per 272k) 7mate 21k (Syd 9k Bri 11k)

Sun TV #NRL Nine 349k (Syd 238k Bri 111k) GEM 13k (Mel 10k Ade 1k Per 2k)
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Beaussie wrote:
Yep, just as I thought. Channel 7, 9, 10 and Foxtel all keen for a piece of the AFL. Let the bidding begin. :afro:
Nine, which bought the Nine stations in Perth and Adelaide two years ago as part of a deal under which it paid $450 million over five years for cricket rights, could be in the market for rights to live AFL matches featuring the teams from those two cities.

Live matches, whether home or away, of Port Adelaide and Adelaide, and Fremantle and West Coast, rate extremely well in their home cities and achieve solid figures in Melbourne.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busines ... iyya0.html

As I said in another thread Beau, there no shame in coming 2nd, you need to accept it a move on.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Remind me again Beau, Hooow far are your ratings down this year on both FTA & PTV :thumbleft:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol so news ltd is printing negative RL articles .
Lol .who would have guessed.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
The axe
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Melbourne fc

Post by The axe »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Lol so news ltd is printing negative RL articles .
Lol .who would have guessed.
The paranoia on display in regards to news ltd from league fans never stops being funny.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Yeah, it's not as if they have history now does it.

Derp!
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
The axe
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Melbourne fc

Post by The axe »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Yeah, it's not as if they have history now does it.

Derp!
As perceived by league fans and only league fans, tell me how many millions of dollars would have news ltd sunk into rugby league in this country over the last 20 years? The Storm don't even exist without them. As I say the paranoia is always good for a laugh and thank you for providing another.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol another fumbler re writing history .

When the TV rights are negotiated & news ltd are on both sides of the table ,how much do you think they saved .
Easy to do when you're selling a product to yourself.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o