The Tipping Comps Don't Seem Fair

For all the latest forum/site updates, suggestions and news.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

The Tipping Comps Don't Seem Fair

Post by Beaussie »

With scores for Rd 7 of the NRL and Rd 5 of the AFL now updated, it is becomming increasingly clear that those that don't enter tips are now doing better than those that do.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable as it rewards those that don't participate. What do others think? Should we change the Default for Non-Tippers to the Average Score - Rounded Down by 1 as is the case with late entrants?

It just doesn't seem fair if you ask me.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I thought this was the case? It bloody well should be, you get the average minus a point no matter when you join if you dont put in your tips.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I thought this was the case? It bloody well should be, you get the average minus a point no matter when you join if you dont put in your tips.
That's what I'm thinking. The problems with non-tippers is more obvious with the NRL comp. I just don't think those that participate should end up with a lower score than those that do. Do others agree? Is so I'll work on changing it asap.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I've changed the default score for those that don't enter tips. I hope you'll all agree that the situation that was in place was unacceptable. For instance, when one clicked on the reports section and goes to see what others have tipped for this round they were confronted with this example in the NRL tipping comp:
The following people have NOT entered selections - Default selections of Away Game Winners will be applied.

21st 16 lou
21st 16 i love school
7th 22 crocodileman
24th 15 miss boomerang
14th 20 Big. D
10th 21 MG
15th 19 lampe
7th 22 CJ
25th 14 wilson_lover
15th 19 lescygnes
20th 17 Boncos Babe
17th 18 Braveheart
10th 21 DS
10th 21 eagles2005
17th 18 nardiga
21st 16 JUDGE LIZ
With there being 5 away game winners all those listed above actually did much better than many of those that did submit tips. What's worse is that some of those listed above haven't submitted tips for consecutive weeks.

Sorry but to me that is just wrong that that many people who don't submit their tips, end up with a better score than those that take the time to actually put their tips in. Speak up if you disagree.

I just can't see why those who don't submit tips should be rewarded in such a fashion. It to me just encourages people to sit back and get the default away game winners each week and actually score better than others who submitted tips.
Pickles
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Pickles »

Im just happy to be winning :)
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
I've changed the default score for those that don't enter tips. I hope you'll all agree that the situation that was in place was unacceptable. For instance, when one clicked on the reports section and goes to see what others have tipped for this round they were confronted with this example in the NRL tipping comp:
The following people have NOT entered selections - Default selections of Away Game Winners will be applied.

21st 16 lou
21st 16 i love school
7th 22 crocodileman
24th 15 miss boomerang
14th 20 Big. D
10th 21 MG
15th 19 lampe
7th 22 CJ
25th 14 wilson_lover
15th 19 lescygnes
20th 17 Boncos Babe
17th 18 Braveheart
10th 21 DS
10th 21 eagles2005
17th 18 nardiga
21st 16 JUDGE LIZ
With there being 5 away game winners all those listed above actually did much better than many of those that did submit tips. What's worse is that some of those listed above haven't submitted tips for consecutive weeks.

Sorry but to me that is just wrong that that many people who don't submit their tips, end up with a better score than those that take the time to actually put their tips in. Speak up if you disagree.

I just can't see why those who don't submit tips should be rewarded in such a fashion. It to me just encourages people to sit back and get the default away game winners each week and actually score better than others who submitted tips.
Hold on a second Beaussie - you're moving the goalposts because you don't like the game!

I did not submit my tips because I favoured the away teams knowing I wouldn't be disadvantaged because of it - now you're saying that this is unacceptable. This is the first week I haven't tipped and now you want to change the rules to punish me (and others!)

If you are to make a rule change you cannot make it retrospective - but must give due notice of the change. If those submitting tips are doing poorly, it's because they are tipping poorly!

By all means, reward people for participating, but to amend the rules without notification is unfair and inequitable.

I request that you consider this request. I won't participate any further if my score is not amended accordingly. I would have thought a person sudying law would be aware of the dangers of changing competition rules because the outcome doesn't suit you!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

21st 16 lou
21st 16 i love school
7th 22 crocodileman
24th 15 miss boomerang
14th 20 Big. D
10th 21 MG
15th 19 lampe
7th 22 CJ
25th 14 wilson_lover
15th 19 lescygnes
20th 17 Boncos Babe
17th 18 Braveheart
10th 21 DS
10th 21 eagles2005
17th 18 nardiga
21st 16 JUDGE LIZ

Hold on a second Beaussie - you're moving the goalposts because you don't like the game!

I did not submit my tips because I favoured the away teams knowing I wouldn't be disadvantaged because of it - now you're saying that this is unacceptable. This is the first week I haven't tipped and now you want to change the rules to punish me (and others!)
You're an exception to the rule having entered tips each week. My biggest concern is that of that list above who don't enter tips, there are many who continually don't enter tips yet end up doing better than those that take the time and effort to submit their tips. This is most obvious with the NRL comp. Sorry but that to me does not seem fair to those who do participate.
crocodileman wrote:
If you are to make a rule change you cannot make it retrospective - but must give due notice of the change. If those submitting tips are doing poorly, it's because they are tipping poorly!

By all means, reward people for participating, but to amend the rules without notification is unfair and inequitable.
Point taken regarding the rule change being retrospective, but most of the people affected don't submit tips or participate week in week out anyway. That said notice has now been served here that as of this week, Away Game Winners will not be the default tips for non-tippers.
crocodileman wrote:
I request that you consider this request. I won't participate any further if my score is not amended accordingly. I would have thought a person sudying law would be aware of the dangers of changing competition rules because the outcome doesn't suit you!
I shall amend the results to reflect the rules up until the rounds just gone. However please note, this was not about the situation not suiting me alone. I would have thought those that participate week in week out would also consider the situation inequitable whereby those that don't participate score better than those that do. Clearly that doesn't seem fair.