Desperate times on the Gold Coast for the NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Desperate times on the Gold Coast for the NRL

Post by Beaussie »

Desperate indeed and the answer, get a guy who thinks RL will one day be the No. 1 code in Australia. God help em in their battle against a monster in the AFL. #-o
Gold Coast godfather Paul Broughton urges Titans to hire Phil Gould

Peter Badel
News Limited
August 17, 2014 12:00AM

TITANS godfather Paul Broughton has the urged the club to hire Phil Gould as a consultant to combat AFL’s Gold Coast Suns and Wayne Bennett’s planned resurrection of the Broncos.

Ahead of Sunday’s clash against Manly at Cbus Super Stadium, Broughton believes Gould is the ideal troubleshooter for a Titans club currently performing a sweeping internal review.

Rocked by the twin resignation of foundation pillars John Cartwright and Michael Searle last week, the Coast face multifaceted threats to recover as NRL force.

AFL’s Suns are making major incursions in Gold Coast’s sporting turf war, while Bennett’s return next season will cast an ominous shadow over Brisbane’s Queensland NRL rivals.

The embattled Titans need to fight fire with fire — and former chairman Broughton is adamant Gould can help formulate a strategic plan for Gold Coast’s resurgence.

Gould, NSW’s greatest Origin coach and a two-time premiership-winner, is one of rugby league’s sharpest minds.

In 2010, the Cowboys board sought his input as an advisor to then coach Neil Henry, now the Titans’ caretaker who is likely to take charge in a full-time capacity next season.

The following year, Gould returned to Penrith as general manager of football, armed with a plan to repel the AFL “monster” when the rival code setup a development base in the Panthers’ backyard.

While Gould has links to the Panthers, Broughton believes his passion for rugby league to become Australia’s No.1 code could motivate ‘Gus’ to help the Titans.

Gould is a strident fan of the Gold Coast, having lauded the start-up efforts of Searle and Cartwright, whose father Merv helped create Penrith with Broughton in 1967.

“I know the NRL is concerned about the franchises and the Titans are under challenge from several areas,” Broughton said.

“Gus is quite excellent and what he has done with Penrith is revisit their roots and he’s helped them counter the AFL threat in western Sydney.

“Phil loves the game and cares about the development of the game.

“I have known Phil for decades, since working with him during his Origin days (in 1992-96) and he’s very much a manager of people’s way of thinking.

“He can change their way of thinking without appearing to be impinging on their own philosophies of how to do things.

“Gus is excellent at putting in structures at grassroots level and the major concern for the Titans, in my opinion, is their under-20s.

“Whether Gus would do that (help the Titans) or not I don’t know, but at least if the Titans got him on board, people would listen.”

Gould has previously lent a helping hand to the Titans.

In 2012, Gould travelled to Port Moresby with Searle for talks with the PNG government on a proposed rescue package when a $25 million debt threatened to send the Titans broke.

The Titans just survived that crisis, but if anyone is mindful of the ever-present AFL threat, it is Gould.

In the past four years, the AFL has targeted rugby league’s traditional heartland with a $32 million development raid on western Sydney.

The Suns are making similar advances on the Gold Coast, in part leveraging the Titans’ failure to make the finals for the fourth consecutive year.

And if Bennett transforms the Broncos into an NRL powerhouse next season, the Titans will be under mounting pressure to keep pace in south-east Queensland.

“We face a challenge from AFL,” Gould said when he returned to help the Panthers.

“Our game has underestimated the AFL. I certainly haven’t. I don’t want to be complacent about our position out there.

“Quite simply, the AFL is a monster. You have no idea how powerful, how well resourced, how well connected and how determined this code is in its aim to not only be the No.1 sport in Australia, but to totally obliterate rugby league in the process.

“The AFL has a 20-year strategy to achieve generational change in people’s sporting preferences and habits.

“The AFL is all about ripping the heart out of rugby league ... this, my friends, is only the beginning.”

The Titans last month commissioned Dr Dave Arthur to preside over a club review, with preliminary recommendations to be delivered in the coming weeks.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley said the club would largely be guided by Dr Arthur’s findings, but was prepared to embrace any assistance from Gould.

“I’m always open to ideas from anyone,” he said.

“Phil Gould is currently employed full-time by Penrith, so I’m not too sure how keen anyone from another club would be keen to help a rival club.

“But I am open to assistance from anybody. I never thought I had all the answers so if Gus has some knowledge, we’d certainly consider it.

“The first thing we have to do is finish this review.

“There will be some recommendations that will come out of that and the board will have to consider those.

“Some of those recommendations could involve additional outside expertise, I haven’t seen the report yet, there is a board meeting next week where an update on the report will be presented by Dr Dave Arthur.

“But Gus is one of the most knowledgeable people in our game ... there’s no question about that.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7026688664
sydneyfc
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney FC
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Desperate times on the Gold Coast for the NRL

Post by sydneyfc »

do or die for the nrl in queensland let a lone the gold coast
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

sydneyfc wrote:
What absolute crap. Can you show me anywhere else in QLD that AFL comes close to RL ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How are the kitty kats going in Bris V the Broncos..even after being gifted(in the AFL house cheating way) 3 Flags LOL Flags.

Your AFL love is clear for all to see..
The Titans have been terrible for the last few yrs on & off field.

So when a problem is looked at & a solution is put up ,you think the ship is sinking..
You sir are ********.
I showed you in another thread that there are millionaires lining up to invest in the Titans..
Maybe they see a little bit more than you.

Ps Hows your A league team going on the GC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
sydneyfc
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney FC
Has thanked: 0

Post by sydneyfc »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
sydneyfc wrote:
What absolute crap. Can you show me anywhere else in QLD that AFL comes close to RL ?

How are the kitty kats going in Bris V the Broncos..even after being gifted(in the AFL house cheating way) 3 Flags LOL Flags.

So when a problem is looked at & a solution is put up ,you think the ship is sinking..
You sir are ********.
I showed you in another thread that there are millionaires lining up to invest in the Titans..

Ps Hows your A league team going on the GC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
they folded just like your original gold coast team

so we're 1 for 1 right now :lol:

and stop deflecting! stay on point noob!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

sydneyfc wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:
sydneyfc wrote:

You sir are ********.

they folded just like your original gold coast team

so we're 1 for 1 right now :lol:

and stop deflecting! stay on point noob!
Not deflecting ..
I answered you question & you ignored mine..
Why is that.
I also posted about the Titans issue...

So One of us is deflecting..& its not me..

You posted this.

sydneyfc wrote:

I asked .
I'll wait for your answer ,but I suspect you will deflect or ignore..
Its your speciality.
:))) :))) :))) :)))

🤣
Xman wrote
Phelpsy
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Collingwood

Post by Phelpsy »

You are missing the point crapper. The nrl folk aren't just saying that it is because the titans are losing . They are saying also that the afl has invested heavily and kids are going to play Aussie rules . That is the big issue ... Will there be local talent coming through in 10 Years? That's what they're worried about.
I in myspare time I like playing baseball, wearing pink backpacks and STALKING people.I know this isn't what you would normallyshare in public but I thought it would be nice tobe honest and open so people knowmore about who I am

I have a small penis
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
sydneyfc wrote:

You sir are ********.

the lions still have better crowds, membership & revenue than nearly ALL NRL CLUBS.
so given the fact they have been shit for the best part of 10 years, they are doing better than NEARLY ALL NRL CLUBS :)))
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
sydneyfc wrote:

You sir are ********.

really like who is going to invest in the dud franchise like the titans?
25 million in debt
no fans, members, shit side
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

leagueiscrap wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:
sydneyfc wrote:

You sir are ********.

the lions still have better crowds, membership & revenue than nearly ALL NRL CLUBS.
so given the fact they have been shit for the best part of 10 years, they are doing better than NEARLY ALL NRL CLUBS :)))
Seriously how fucking thick are you.
We are talking about QLD .
A bullshit claim was made .
I asked for some proof.
The taaard who made the claim has failed to reply ,& then you jump in with an answer that has nothing to do with what was posted.

:[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[]

🤣
Xman wrote
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

leagueiscrap wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:
sydneyfc wrote:

You sir are ********.

really like who is going to invest in the dud franchise like the titans?
25 million in debt
no fans, members, shit side
I posted the article..
But you are not the brightest so its understandable you go on a rant that is all bullshit.

🤣
Xman wrote
Phelpsy
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Collingwood

Post by Phelpsy »

I think if afl continues to grow on the Gold Coast that's a significant market they get a foothold in. The lions are still in rl heartland yet comparisons are made as if they are in am afl heartland area. The lions get plenty of press and media, when they do tips or talk about footy on the weekend on the radio, they always include the afl games ... And not just the lions ... So they're doing their job. They do need to start winning but have about 18000 rusted on fans. That's significant. The fact lions crowds get compared to broncos is amazing in itself .. The fact suns are averaging higher crowds is incredible.

Is rl dying in qld ? No of course not. Is Australian rules football a significant sport that gets media coverage and is accepted and mainstream ... Definitely .... That's a win. Is afl growing in general ... Definitely . Are people in qld who have an interest in nrl concerned about how big afl is getting ...well just look at the articles over the past week.
I in myspare time I like playing baseball, wearing pink backpacks and STALKING people.I know this isn't what you would normallyshare in public but I thought it would be nice tobe honest and open so people knowmore about who I am

I have a small penis
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Can you show me anywhere else in QLD that AFL comes close to RL ?
Yes, the ABS for starters.
Nice try Cos.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

cos789 wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:
Proof please.
This will be good.

🤣
Xman wrote
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

desperate times eh :-k

lets recap shall we

crowds on the Gold Coast this weekend

the biggest thing since sliced bread
the Coasts new premier sporting outfit
the team given leg ups & hand outs so they can artificially be a success with them being the talk of the GC .. I mean
no one is talking about anyone else if you believe our bubble dwelling fumblers 8-[
the thuns
10,042..... ( fudged as the crowd was no more the 6,000)

the poor ol battling Titans that no one loves
11,940 :cool:

yeah
real desperate times for the NRL eh you fumbling fucktards :roll:

seriously
is there a brain amongst them ? :?>
:lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

cos789 wrote:
AFLcrap1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol: