John O'Neill needs to pay attention

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Hills Eagles
Been liked: 0

John O'Neill needs to pay attention

Post by NSWAFL »

He was recently proven to be full of it on this forum when he claimed that RU was beating RL at the gate in Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne. It was proven that the Reds averaged 29,435 during the season, an average that went up to 33,253 adding the finals. The Broncos however averaged 33,209 during the season, an average that also went up adding the finals to 35,187. That's enough to call O'Neill a BS artist.

But I just did the other two, and there he's actually right! From the same sources as the Reds and Broncos figures, the Rebels averaged 17,140 for the season and they didn't play finals. The Storm only made it to 14,246 and they played finals only to have their season average rise to only 15,312. The Brumbies averaged 13,103 during the season, while the Raiders only averaged 12,419. Neither played finals.

My guess is that O'Neill saw the figures for Canberra and Melbourne only, and possible went overboard on the Reds attendances at finals and failed to take the Broncos finals into account. So he should pay attention to what's really going on!

No wonder the Wallabies have been struggling!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: John O'Neill needs to pay attention

Post by Beaussie »

Sad state of affairs for the Raiders and Storm isn't it. The poor Raiders don't even have a sponsor after months of searching. :lol:
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Raiders have suffered since they joined SL back in 95 and deservedly so.

But as a guy that grew up 45 mins away from them, I feel it's time I got over it and moved on, they done what they done and they suffered more than any club (outside merged and relegated clubs).

The problem with the Raiders is twofold.

1, They have 1 decent season making the 8 (usually only just) and going no further than the second week. This builds up the supporters thoughts on the next year and they always end up being disappointed.

If you look at the last 10/15 years for the Raiders, you'll see 1 year, they'll be just in the 8 come semi time followed by the next season with the same side fighting out the wooden spoon. They have not been able to build a decent winning team over a few seasons since the premiership years in the early 90's and the fans get pissed at this.

2. Canberra is Rugby League Heartland through and through, the problem for the Raiders is the fact that a lot of Canberra's population is transient, they have more people move in and out each year than any other part of the country. And the other problem with the support in Canberra itself it, the Raiders really aren't that old (same age as the Sydney Swans) and a lot of the older generation or RL supporters in Canberra go for the more traditional teams like Parra, Saints, Tigers, Dogs and so on, you look at a crowd when one of these teams play in Canberra and they are doing really well, half the crowd will be supporting the out of towners. The only way Canberra can regain their crowds is to start winning and win often for more than 1-2 season at a time.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Sad state of affairs for the Raiders and Storm isn't it. The poor Raiders don't even have a sponsor after months of searching. :lol:

similar to the Thuns claiming Victory on the Gold Coast
the Melbourne Rabble were brand new in 2011 ... & were always going to have heighten interest in their first year

but just like the thuns ....its all now not so new & shiny & the gloss is rubbing off already .... only 3 weeks out from their 2012 season starting their memberships are down about 50% on 2011 & they are behind the Storm's tally last I heard
the thuns are also having a huge drop in membership renewals ..... down 2,000 on where they were this time last year
the Rabble also have one more thing in common with the Thuns .... they're cr@p & will continue to struggle to attract support from here

the Brumbies are broke .... & will barely make it through season 2012 they'll be in the hands of receivers soon enough such is their financial plight
the Raiders have all but seen them off ....
our capitals strongest sporting brand.............is unshakeable :wink:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:

But as a guy that grew up 45 mins away from them, I feel it's time I got over it and moved on, they done what they done and they suffered more than any club (outside merged and relegated clubs).

The problem with the Raiders is twofold.

1, They have 1 decent season making the 8 (usually only just) and going no further than the second week. This builds up the supporters thoughts on the next year and they always end up being disappointed.

If you look at the last 10/15 years for the Raiders, you'll see 1 year, they'll be just in the 8 come semi time followed by the next season with the same side fighting out the wooden spoon. They have not been able to build a decent winning team over a few seasons since the premiership years in the early 90's and the fans get pissed at this.

2. Canberra is Rugby League Heartland through and through, the problem for the Raiders is the fact that a lot of Canberra's population is transient, they have more people move in and out each year than any other part of the country. And the other problem with the support in Canberra itself it, the Raiders really aren't that old (same age as the Sydney Swans) and a lot of the older generation or RL supporters in Canberra go for the more traditional teams like Parra, Saints, Tigers, Dogs and so on, you look at a crowd when one of these teams play in Canberra and they are doing really well, half the crowd will be supporting the out of towners. The only way Canberra can regain their crowds is to start winning and win often for more than 1-2 season at a time.
I'll ignore that :evil:
& won't debate our reasons for doing what we did ... rehashing that again but suffice to say ... our reasons were there

the rest
yeah.... we're a club that can't string 2 good seasons together
but also ... 2 bad seasons either
we are one of the only clubs since super league (1998) that has failed to make the semis 2 years in a row
meaning we'll make it this year but won't in 2013 . 8-[ . will in 2014 .. :-k won't in 2015

#-o
if we can hang onto Dugan .... & some other cracking young talent we have
we'll go better then week 2 of the finals soon
:wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

the Melbourne Rabble were brand new in 2011 ... & were always going to have heighten interest in their first year

but just like the thuns ....its all now not so new & shiny & the gloss is rubbing off already .... only 3 weeks out from their 2012 season starting their memberships are down about 50% on 2011 & they are behind the Storm's tally last I heard
the thuns are also having a huge drop in membership renewals ..... down 2,000 on where they were this time last year
the Rabble also have one more thing in common with the Thuns .... they're cr@p & will continue to struggle to attract support from here

the Brumbies are broke .... & will barely make it through season 2012 they'll be in the hands of receivers soon enough such is their financial plight
3 weeks? Try 8 weeks!

A number of AFL clubs presently have around 50% of their tally from last year. This is completely normal because the drive for memberships really doesn't start accelerating until the preseason competition starts which is still 3 or so weeks away.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:

3 weeks? Try 8 weeks!

A number of AFL clubs presently have around 50% of their tally from last year. This is completely normal because the drive for memberships really doesn't start accelerating until the preseason competition starts which is still 3 or so weeks away.
3 weeks for the Rabbles season starting gumby
& its the Rabble who are 50% down on 2011 ..... the Thuns are way down on where they were this time in 2011 & they & the Lions ... are the only AFL clubs that are for 2012

oh dear :-k
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:

3 weeks? Try 8 weeks!

& its the Rabble who are 50% down on 2011 ..... the Thuns are way down on where they were this time in 2011 & they & the Lions ... are the only AFL clubs that are for 2012

What were the suns and lions membership numbers in jan 2011 then?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
cooee
Seniors
Seniors
Team: All Brisbane based teams except the Lions

Post by cooee »

The Storm are slowing getting back to where they were pre salary cap scandal.

HosPlus have just rejoined them as a sponsor after dumping them.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:
3 weeks? Try 8 weeks!

What were the suns and lions membership numbers in jan 2011 then?

30/1/12

Suns 8,894
Lions 12,206

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... a&t=891274

the closest I could get to this date last year was 25/1/11
25/1/11
http://forum.sportal.com.au/default.asp ... =77814&p=8

Suns 12K plus ...
Lions 13K plus ...

the Thuns are nearly 33% down
wow......

its all ova ..... after 1 year 8-[
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Probably a bit premature for that call. Fans would have been looking forward to their first season with a great deal of anticipation and may have signed up early. Renewals may not be a priority for existing members until closer to the season. What was their full tally last year?
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:
Probably a bit premature for that call. Fans would have been looking forward to their first season with a great deal of anticipation and may have signed up early. Renewals may not be a priority for existing members until closer to the season. What was their full tally last year?

why

everyother AFL club ... those that had their numbers published ... are either equal or in front of their numbers from 12 months ago
except the Thuns & Lions
you would at least think they'be somewhere near their numbers from last year
& the Thuns are not just down a bit .... they're not even close 8-[

I suspect the Swans are down too .... they're at 15K .. but can't confirm this .. as they didn't release their 2011 numbers til March last year

hmmm
I said this would happen to the Thuns .... but I never thought it would be this bad so soon :-k
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

NSWAFL wrote:
He was recently proven to be full of it on this forum when he claimed that RU was beating RL at the gate in Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne. It was proven that the Reds averaged 29,435 during the season, an average that went up to 33,253 adding the finals. The Broncos however averaged 33,209 during the season, an average that also went up adding the finals to 35,187. That's enough to call O'Neill a BS artist.

But I just did the other two, and there he's actually right! From the same sources as the Reds and Broncos figures, the Rebels averaged 17,140 for the season and they didn't play finals. The Storm only made it to 14,246 and they played finals only to have their season average rise to only 15,312. The Brumbies averaged 13,103 during the season, while the Raiders only averaged 12,419. Neither played finals.

My guess is that O'Neill saw the figures for Canberra and Melbourne only, and possible went overboard on the Reds attendances at finals and failed to take the Broncos finals into account. So he should pay attention to what's really going on!
Actually he's was pretty much on the mark with the ACT and Victoria being more supportive and Qld being on the up to almost equal the rl equivalent and rl being pretty static. Anyway is was a pretty close call. maybe he looked at the H&A figures instead of the Brisbane figures.
Nice try Cos.
cooee
Seniors
Seniors
Team: All Brisbane based teams except the Lions

Post by cooee »

I would say the Broncos would be very happy with their crowds last year considering they missed the finals in 2010 and the floods.

Their average was up on 2010 unlike the Lions who's average dropped by 9k.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

why

everyother AFL club ... those that had their numbers published ... are either equal or in front of their numbers from 12 months ago
except the Thuns & Lions
you would at least think they'be somewhere near their numbers from last year
& the Thuns are not just down a bit .... they're not even close 8-[

I suspect the Swans are down too .... they're at 15K .. but can't confirm this .. as they didn't release their 2011 numbers til March last year

hmmm
I said this would happen to the Thuns .... but I never thought it would be this bad so soon :-k
The swans will lose members to the GWS of course.

The Lions aren't far off and will be suffering for some very poor seasons.

The suns possibly will not achieve the same number as last year as you suggest, but can afford to lose a few as their number was pretty decent for a first year team. They will rise quickly once they become competitive. No doubt their poor form will have turned some members off.