Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Couldn't have said it better myself. An atrocity not a sport.
Paul Pottinger
The Daily Telegraph
January 05, 201212:00AM

HEAR that? It's called silence. It's the absence of the rugby league season.

Is it not glorious? To be free of the stifling tedium of blanket coverage, the grinding banality of match commentary, the sub-trivial parish pump gossip and news of yet another player's off-field atrocity. The silence of January is golden.

The featureless white noise of the mate-against-mate, meathead-against-meathead cavalcade is comfortably distant; just a grim prospect. Like root canal treatment.

Please don't misunderstand me - I don't dislike rugby league. That requires too much of the effort which is better directed toward the herculean task of ignoring it.

It would also mean trying to take it seriously and rugby league already takes itself far too seriously.

For all the reverberating, unintentionally self-parodying hyperbole, rugby league remains, as ever it will, the blustering short man of sport. Beyond our eastern cities and one in New Zealand, some grimy towns in England's north and a few rustic French villages, rugby league does not exist. This code is a loud provincial oaf let loose upon the big city - obnoxious, flatulent and prone to publicly displaying its genitals.

Please - I implore you - don't use rugby league in the same sentence as "World Cup" unless you wish to be battered by force 10 gales of laughter. Aside from its global dwarfism, its case is hindered by shoddy pretence. By all means recruit to your side a boofhead who once missed his flight and had to spend the night in Honolulu. Stick him in a kitsch kit and call him a Tomahawk, but do at least smirk knowingly when you pretend he represents the United States.

Rugby league is a platform for flogging industrial beer. It's a hot air container that temporarily inflates the flaccid careers of club circuit entertainers and their forgotten anthems. Try time? No. Try hard time.

Then there is the spectacle itself - 26 post-adolescents with hideously engorged musculature dressed each week in different livery, yet each of which somehow resembles a beverage can. These run in strict linear patterns until a mistake is made and one lot falls over the other's line. For this points are awarded.

Rugby league is painfully contrived. It is prima facie absurd. Knock a fellow down then permit him up to play the ball. Repeat several times until ball is kicked away. No sight in competitive sport is more abject than the flagrant non-aggression pact that is a rugby league scrum.

No, I don't dislike rugby league, though if I cared to I could manage to find offensive the fetish made of the game's (selective) history. How did the Johnny Come Comparatively Lately code wrest popularity from its parent? By inherent superiority? Crowd-pleasingly open play? Or the fact that for five seasons it was the only game in town?

The NSW and Queensland rugby unions suspended senior competition during World War I. Rugby league did not. When Balmain played Glebe in the 1915 grand final, young men were being sacrificed at Gallipoli. The Queensland Rugby Union was unable to reform until 1929.

By no means do I impugn those who played on or to suggest that many thousands have not worn both khaki and club colours. But it does strike me as a slightly anomalous note when the code wraps itself in the flag and has the Last Post played at its Anzac Day Test.

Merely ridiculous is the gladiatorial imagery with which rugby league is inevitably promoted. The big hits, the on-field biff that officials piously condemn, but actually exult in. Again the short man aspect is the fore. If, like me, you like to watch mixed martial arts - which is hysterically condemned despite strictly enforced rules of engagement - the spectacle of artless behemoths running into each other is depressing in the extreme.

Perhaps I do dislike rugby league, but I don't begrudge its right to exist, which is more than can be said of its attitude toward everyone else. There are still in rugby league not a few resentful rednecks who see an Australian failure in rugby or soccer as "good for our game" and the encroachment of Australian rules on its traditional turf as a crisis surpassing that of refugee boats.

Less really can be more.

In rugby league's case, much less.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... 6236785563
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

Post by Xman »

Beaussie wrote:
Paul Pottinger
The Daily Telegraph

Is it not glorious? To be free of the stifling tedium of blanket coverage, the grinding banality of match commentary, the sub-trivial parish pump gossip and news of yet another player's off-field atrocity. The silence of January is golden.

The featureless white noise of the mate-against-mate, meathead-against-meathead cavalcade is comfortably distant; just a grim prospect. Like root canal treatment.

Please don't misunderstand me - I don't dislike rugby league. That requires too much of the effort which is better directed toward the herculean task of ignoring it.

It would also mean trying to take it seriously and rugby league already takes itself far too seriously.

For all the reverberating, unintentionally self-parodying hyperbole, rugby league remains, as ever it will, the blustering short man of sport. Beyond our eastern cities and one in New Zealand, some grimy towns in England's north and a few rustic French villages, rugby league does not exist. This code is a loud provincial oaf let loose upon the big city - obnoxious, flatulent and prone to publicly displaying its genitals.

Please - I implore you - don't use rugby league in the same sentence as "World Cup" unless you wish to be battered by force 10 gales of laughter. Aside from its global dwarfism, its case is hindered by shoddy pretence. By all means recruit to your side a boofhead who once missed his flight and had to spend the night in Honolulu. Stick him in a kitsch kit and call him a Tomahawk, but do at least smirk knowingly when you pretend he represents the United States.

Rugby league is a platform for flogging industrial beer. It's a hot air container that temporarily inflates the flaccid careers of club circuit entertainers and their forgotten anthems. Try time? No. Try hard time.

Then there is the spectacle itself - 26 post-adolescents with hideously engorged musculature dressed each week in different livery, yet each of which somehow resembles a beverage can. These run in strict linear patterns until a mistake is made and one lot falls over the other's line. For this points are awarded.

Rugby league is painfully contrived. It is prima facie absurd. Knock a fellow down then permit him up to play the ball. Repeat several times until ball is kicked away. No sight in competitive sport is more abject than the flagrant non-aggression pact that is a rugby league scrum.

No, I don't dislike rugby league, though if I cared to I could manage to find offensive the fetish made of the game's (selective) history. How did the Johnny Come Comparatively Lately code wrest popularity from its parent? By inherent superiority? Crowd-pleasingly open play? Or the fact that for five seasons it was the only game in town?

The NSW and Queensland rugby unions suspended senior competition during World War I. Rugby league did not. When Balmain played Glebe in the 1915 grand final, young men were being sacrificed at Gallipoli. The Queensland Rugby Union was unable to reform until 1929.

By no means do I impugn those who played on or to suggest that many thousands have not worn both khaki and club colours. But it does strike me as a slightly anomalous note when the code wraps itself in the flag and has the Last Post played at its Anzac Day Test.

Merely ridiculous is the gladiatorial imagery with which rugby league is inevitably promoted. The big hits, the on-field biff that officials piously condemn, but actually exult in. Again the short man aspect is the fore. If, like me, you like to watch mixed martial arts - which is hysterically condemned despite strictly enforced rules of engagement - the spectacle of artless behemoths running into each other is depressing in the extreme.

Perhaps I do dislike rugby league, but I don't begrudge its right to exist, which is more than can be said of its attitude toward everyone else. There are still in rugby league not a few resentful rednecks who see an Australian failure in rugby or soccer as "good for our game" and the encroachment of Australian rules on its traditional turf as a crisis surpassing that of refugee boats.

Less really can be more.

"There are still in rugby league not a few resentful rednecks who see an Australian failure in rugby or soccer as "good for our game" and the encroachment of Australian rules on its traditional turf as a crisis surpassing that of refugee boats"
and lump all these rednecks together on the one forum and you have LU. Except the resentment spreads to all things associated with Victoria as well.

Raiderdave is one of this mobs prime example.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Paul Pottinger
The Daily Telegraph

Less really can be more.

ah........ 8-[

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so you write about motor cars for a living beaussie ?
that is you isn't it ? :-k

what a knob
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

Is RD such a moron that he's he's laughing at a newspaper article putting down his own code
or has he just lost the plot ?
Reading the comments most comments were supportive. 8-[ :D
Nice try Cos.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

cos789 wrote:
Is RD such a moron that he's he's laughing at a newspaper article putting down his own code

I'm laughing because its hilarious
who is this clown who wrote it .... what possesed him to put pen to paper & carry on like you lot do in here .. so like a ranting drop kick
why would he think anyone is interested in what a no name whining w@nker like him.. has got to say

FEAR
JEALOUSY
FRUSTRATION

these are words which come to mind as reasons why

its a damn funny read too

oh & of the 150 replies to date
about 90% are giving it to him .... mainly this reaction though 8-[ .... :-k ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

like I said
what a knob. :wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

Raiderdave wrote:
cos789 wrote:

who is this clown who wrote it ....:
Well obviously a journalist, a journalist in a rl rag, a journalist in a rl which has declared war on AFL.

So are you adding journalists to the ABS, DFAT, AFL, Worldfootynews, Wiki and Aussierulesinternational who you disbelieve ?
Nice try Cos.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

cos789 wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
cos789 wrote:

who is this clown who wrote it ....:
Well obviously a journalist, a journalist in a rl rag, a journalist in a rl which has declared war on AFL.

So are you adding journalists to the ABS, DFAT, AFL, Worldfootynews, Wiki and Aussierulesinternational who you disbelieve ?

a toffball merkin .. jealous or RL's continued growth & dominance of sport in Sydney .. is all he is

News Ltd .. annoyed they've been shown the door by RL .. told to pick up their phone hacking butts & piss the F off out of our game
have been publishing anti RL stories ever since the IC was annouced ova 2 years ago now in retaliation

please cuzzy
keep up

finger on the pulse is not a phrase used to describe you much .. is it ? :wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

Raiderdave wrote:
News Ltd .. annoyed they've been shown the door by RL .. told to pick up their phone hacking butts & piss the F off out of our game
have been publishing anti RL stories ever since the IC was annouced ova 2 years ago now in retaliation
hey everybody

Isn't this just about the biggest laugh you've ever had.

show us
Nice try Cos.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

cos789 wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
hey everybody

show us

put up any of your posts

they'll slaughter that ............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Topper
Coach
Coach
Team: AFL

Post by Topper »

cos789 wrote:
hey everybody

show us
Biggest burp of all time! Rove McManus is a dead man!
Rugby League has a lying culture. Altering crowd figures, relying on inaccurate TV figures from regional NSW and refusing to distance itself from Leagues Clubs and obtain it's own club memberships as it relies on LC's to survive as private entities.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

cos789 wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
hey everybody

show us
You've been challenged.

show us[/quote]
Nice try Cos.
enarelle
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by enarelle »

The glorious example of "one. Appears to be an AFL art form. You guys aren't trying very hard -you need to tap into some of the Rugby mob who still expect league to fold up and go away
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

cos789 wrote:
cos789 wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
hey everybody

show us
You've been challenged.

show us
[/quote]

heres a sample to start with
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showt ... t=Telecrap

plenty in there

more to come

now cuzzy ........... you've been challenged
man up you complete whimp [-X
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

enarelle wrote:
The glorious example of "one. Appears to be an AFL art form. You guys aren't trying very hard -you need to tap into some of the Rugby mob who still expect league to fold up and go away

oh they are a twisted bitter mob

103 years of getting your date handed to you in a bucket will do that

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Derp!

Most pro RL comments didn't make it through surprise surprise like mine. But we'll let cuzzy wuzzy and his merry band of poofs think otherwise.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.