Politics in Australia

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Politics in Australia

Post by Beaussie »

What's up with the people of Australia? No one seems to bat an eyelid these days about political decisions that impact on our everyday life and freedoms. John Howard lies to us, yet the majority still vote him in. :evil: :roll:

Yes I'm a leftie, but I would have thought the members here would have at least something to talk about when it comes to politics in Australia.

Perhaps me being a tree hugging leftie, I'll never get why it is that the Australian public seems so apathetic when it comes to the decisions made about our lives. That said, it gets me wild I live in a country where its citizens don't seem to give a fuck about politics. As long as the Murdoch press tells us what to think, we all seem happy. :roll:

Rant over, go for the attack if you like.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by lescygnes »

beaussie, it just aint us aussies who are apathetic about politics.

i have had the fortune of going through a Canadian and a US election whilst being here. Canucks are alot more caring about the whole thing that "the neighbours down south" but apathy still exists. Canada has many many differences at stake. there are regional differences (ie-Les québécois vs Les anglais, the east vs the alienated west, the maritimers, etc) which builds for interest.

as a result we have a Liberal minority (who actually are liberal unlike the mob back home) with the New Democratic Party (a la Greens in Aus), the Tories (the main opposition which are a merger of the Progressive Conservatives of Ontario and the Maritimes with the Nazis from the old Alliance/Reformers from the Prairies and BC). then you have Le bloc québécois thrown in for good measure.

the good thing is that the Bloc, the NDP and a majority of Libs are progressive which thwart any conservative moves. and that pisses the yanks off. actually, anything that pisses the yanks off is politically popular in Canada, hence Gay Marriage, legalisation of Pot, universal Health care, being able to get a Flu Vaccination.......you get the picture.

the USA is a different kettle of fish. the Democrats are a bit limp here. not much fight in them when they should be getting down and dirty like the "Fundamentalist Armageddon Death Cult of America-aka the Republicans (quote from the Seattle Stranger newspaper)".

so we have the red state v the blue state thing. unfortunately, the red ones had the numbers here, but remember, 2004 was the closest EVER presidential election in US history. Dubya squeaked over the line. hardly a mandate. but at least his win this time around was legit, unlike last time.

still, in Canada it was about 70% participation and anout 60% in the USA. say what you will about compulsory voting, but i think it makes us better off. participation is the key in a liberal democracy which us, canada and the us are.

many more questions that answers still, but hope this insight helps.....
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie =D>
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80