Who would you choose?

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.

Who would you prefer as the new Labor leader?

Kim Beazley
29%
Julia Gillard
57%
Kevin Rudd
14%
Wayne Swan
No votes
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 7

Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Who would you choose?

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Who would you have to lead Labor to the next election?

Thoughts people?
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Julia for our first female PM. You go girl. :P
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

I must admit that there's something unusually sexy about this woman Gillard. She's the type who you'd find it hard to take your eyes off in a nightclub when having a few beers. Your mates though, would be perplexed as to why you fancy her as they think she's plain. There's something there, when you really look, I reckon she's hot!

Besides that, I believe that a vote for Beazley would put Labor back 10 years. He lost me when he backed Howard's stance with the asylum seekers on the Tampa just before the 2001 election. He took the soft option thinking that politically, the party would be decimated if they stood up for these poor people. Subsequently, Labor lost the election, but in my opinion, they also lost the moral high ground and Beazley lost my respect.

Wayne Swan is a crud, Rudd is a nerd and no other talent is emerging. Possibly Peter Garrett is a future Labor leader as I rate him as a highly intelligent and astute person who I would happily vote for to lead this country. That won't be until 2011, though!

Until then, it's that sex kitten Gillard!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

C'mon guys and gals, this is the future of our democracy. Who would you like as the ALP leader at the next federal election. Even if you don't or have never voted for the ALP, you must have an opinion on who is best suited to the job now that Latham has stood aside.

Vote away, even if you don't post in this thread. It would be interesting to see who gets the most votes from the Talking Footy community. It's not as if the ALP would ever take our opinions seriously. :lol:

In any case vote away.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
Gillard will run and I'll back her: Ferguson
January 21, 2005 - 9:13AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Gil ... 11071.html

A prominent Labor frontbencher today came out publicly in support of Julia Gillard to lead the party, and said it was likely she would run.

NSW MP Laurie Ferguson, a key backer of former party leader Mark Latham, said there was some support for her among caucus colleagues.

"From what I gather around around the place, I think there's a number of people urging her to run," Mr Ferguson said.

Ms Gillard has so far refused to rule out running for the party leadership, but has not confirmed her candidacy either, since the resignation on Tuesday of Mr Latham.

"My second-hand information ... is that she'll probably run," Mr Ferguson told ABC radio.

He also offered his firm support to the 43-year-old, who is currently opposition health spokeswoman.

"The reality is that I believe that Julia's the best candidate," he said, adding he didn't dislike the other two likely contenders.

Kim Beazley has declared he will run for the leadership while foreign affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd is a likely candidate. Mr Rudd will canvass colleagues over the next two days before making an announcement.

"I'm happy with all of the alternatives, but I think Gillard is the best candidate," Mr Ferguson said.

"Quite frankly I think Gillard is the most impressive person, I think she'll fire people. It's a new look for the party. It's a woman. It's different.

"We're not talking about someone who's just a trendy commodity. She's actually intelligent, articulate and strong-minded."

He brushed aside suggestions the Labor Party was not ready for a female leader.

"If India, Sri Lanka and the Islamic country to our north (Indonesia) can have a national leader who's a female, I don't think it's beyond Australia ... this is just a red herring of no relevance quite frankly."

AAP
Our first female PM in the making. :D
MG

Post by MG »

Gillard for me as she is a woman too. she also has a good profile but i believe being a member of the left faction is not good for her popularity with colleagues.
Harold
Team:

Post by Harold »

I can't go past Gillard. Beazley's had his shot and failed big time, and Rudd's a headline just screaming to be printed. "ALP Rudderless in election loss"
big tommy
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by big tommy »

Peter Garrett for mine.
The Mighty Lions will Come Back to Life in 2006
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I think Rudd is very intelligent, but in my opinion he doesn't seem as down to earth as the other two candidates (assuming of course Gillard is running). Don't ask me why I feel that way, it's just an observation.

I voted for Beazley simply because I've always liked his style. He hasn't got any record to speak highly of against John Howard, but under the circumstances of the time I think he would've done better than if someone else within the party was leader. Maybe 3rd time lucky? Although whoever is chosen as leader, it'll be a massive ask to win back so many seats in a single election.

Whoever is elected, I suggest the party cease the childish in-fighting and back the leader.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

like i said before on another forum, or was it an email, i dunno, this Fat Tire Amber Ale from Colorado is getting to me. (yes there ARE decent american beers).

but isnt this like switching deck chairs on the titanic????

Green all the way baby! Time for some real change.....