NRL premiership betting - 2005

For all the latest forum/site updates, suggestions and news.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

NRL premiership betting - 2005

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

According to sportstab, here's the odds for this season:

http://www.sportstab.com.au/

(January 10, 2005)

Bulldogs - $3.00
Roosters - $5.50
Dragons - $7.50
Panthers - $9.00
Broncos - $13.00
Knights - $15.00
Cowboys - $15.00
Storm - $17.00
Eels - $21.00
Cronulla - $23.00
Warriors - $26.00
Raiders - $51.00
Tigers - $67.00
Sea Eagles - $67.00
Rabbitohs - $126.00 :lol:

Interesting odds, however wierd looking prices are obvioulsy common in pre-season.

Using the above odds, teams that I wouldn't bet dog turds on:

1. Newcastle - far, far too short for my liking. Yes, Johns is back, but the rest of the side is arguably one of the weakest Knights teams in memory (on paper anyway). As a fan, this season is not looking good.

2. Dragons - $7.50? The bandwagon is in full-swing and the season hasn't even started. They still have a failry similar playing roster to last year, and injuries or not, this team hasn't shown it can be consistant and mentally tough in all matches. The Dragons far too often talk the talk, but never walk the walk. They are the New Zealand Cricket team of Rugby League.

3. Storm - Probably rightly placed at $17.00 and shouldn't be considered for a punt at all IMHO.

Teams that might be worth a punt, or should do well this year:

1. Cowboys - There's a massive Cowboys bandwagon, and I must admit im on it, but i'll wait and watch their first few matches before I make up my mind if they've still got the form to match the big teams. At $15.00 though, they're definately worth a bet IMHO.

2. Broncos - Always there abouts. But $13.00 is as far out as I've seen them for a while, and IMHO their team for next year looks pretty strong. Always tough to bet on the Qlders though as they usually have the strain of Origin to contend with. A 50/50 descision whether to bet on them, but as I said, $13.00 is very unusual for them, so it's tempting.

3. Sharks - Cronulla are promising alot this year. A team that can definately slip under the radar. I have a good feeling about them this year for some reason, and at $23.00, well...
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Yes, Dizzi, I believe that I posted some time ago that I believe Cronulla may be a 'smokey' in 2005 - but I've been wrong before! I just sense something special for them, though.

St George in greyhound racing venacular are "non-chasers" and should be dealt with accordingly. They could even get to the front, but they will pull up and start fooling around, mid-race.

As for the Cowboys, you can back 'em with me. In my opinion, their late season form of 2004 was an abberation - they will be back as the usual cellar dwellers this year. Their defence is too suspect for my liking - they make appropriate speed bumps!

Can anyone track down betting for the top 8? I reckon I will have a sizeable wager for them (Cronulla) to finish in the 8, if I can get better than $3.50 I believe that would be sensational odds!
Last edited by crocodileman on Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

The Broncos look good at $13.
lescygnes
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by lescygnes »

cronulla are jinxed!!! theyll never win.

odds far too low for my chookies though. we'll probably lose the GF again.

but ive been over here to long to know the ins and outs of the game, so dont ask me!!!!