White Maggot Ban

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

White Maggot Ban

Post by Beaussie »

Fair dinkum, now there is talk that you can't even have a go at the umpires - well at least at the Gabba. Apparently AFL Umpires Association chief Bill Deller says, "It's not fun and it's not tradition. It's pathetic and I would welcome a ban on its use across the country," :roll:
Footy moots 'white maggot' ban
By Adrian Tame and Anthony Black
April 29, 2007 12:00

Gabba has anti-sledging rules in place
Umpires Association says sledging 'pathetic'
Salvation Army has 'no problem with sledging'

AFL Umpires Association chief Bill Deller has called for spectators who use the time-honoured sledge at any AFL match to be thrown out.

The Gabba has ruled fans who yell the age-old term at Brisbane Lions' games will be evicted instantly.

Mr Deller said the ban should be introduced across Australia.

"It's not fun and it's not tradition. It's pathetic and I would welcome a ban on its use across the country," Mr Deller said this week.

The Gabba's surprise move is part of a zero tolerance approach to crowd behaviour at the stadium.

Officials have told Brisbane Lions member Garry Edwards, 58, that fans will be evicted if they use the term.

But the ban has prompted widespread anger.

Well-known Collingwood supporter Joffa Corfe described Gabba officials as "the Gestapo" and said the term should not be compared with use of foul language.

And the Salvation Army has backed him.

Fans at every ground in the country have used the words "white maggot" to describe umpires for generations.

But Mr Deller will have none of it.

"It's not affectionate. It's abuse, plain and simple, and it's bad for both the recruitment and retention of umpires," he said.

Mr Corfe disagreed.

"Calling an umpire a white maggot is as Australian as having a barbecue," he said.

"They'll need to start giving away Band-Aids at the gate so we can stick them over our gobs."

Mr Corfe said he was evicted from the Gabba two years ago for the offence of standing up.

"I've had my run-in with the Gestapo at the Gabba. A four-foot-nothing usher had me thrown out by Queensland police for standing up and supporting one of our boys in the goal square," he said.

"So this doesn't surprise me, but it would be a tragedy if it spread round the country.

"These people are catering for the theatregoer, not the footy fan.

"The problem with umpires nowadays is that they think the game is about them. It's not."

The Salvation Army is opposed to any move to make the ban national.

Spokesman Major Brad Halse said: "Sometimes political correctness runs mad in this country and there is over sanitisation in a lot of areas and this is one of them.

"I think it's extraordinary.

"The AFL should concentrate on outlawing obscene language, not a term like 'white maggot'."

A spokesman for Telstra Dome refused to comment on the issue, referring the Sunday Herald Sun to the ground's website, which includes the following: "Patrons must refrain from using foul or abusive language and from making racial or threatening remarks or gestures."

Two MCG spokesmen failed to respond to several requests for comment.
dogsact
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by dogsact »

Far Dinkum, As if they will be able to police this. If any ump is insulted by this then they sholud quit. I'm sure they get much harsher words shouted at them than White Maggot! Pussys
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Take ot to HREOC and let the do-gooders sort it out...we are talking about racism here?
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

How the fuck do you figure that? Its a reference to their old white uniforms obviously!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Grim Reaper wrote:
Take ot to HREOC and let the do-gooders sort it out...we are talking about racism here?
Surely you're joking.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Well if I was called a WHITE maggot I would take it to HREOC..maybe tomorrow I will got up to white people and say it to them and see what the reaction is! See this is political correctness gone mad as maggots don't deserve to be slandered like this.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I'll just reprint what I said on another forum about this one;

Oh for crying out loud! The day an umpire gets upset over being called a white maggot is the day they should give it up. And that's something the AFL should pay attention to - and just bloody well LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Now if fans were calling umpires "cheats" that would be another matter!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
I'll just reprint what I said on another forum about this one;

Oh for crying out loud! The day an umpire gets upset over being called a white maggot is the day they should give it up. And that's something the AFL should pay attention to - and just bloody well LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Now if fans were calling umpires "cheats" that would be another matter!
I'm with you on this one TLPG.

As for your last point, well I've sometimes thought the maggots were cheats as well. :lol: