Rugby League news and discussion.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

NRL Round 1 - QLD blockbusters, and Storm live into Melb

Post by Willis 21 »

What a great year 2007 promises to be for the NRL.

Lets hope that this is also a sign of what is to come for the hundreds of thousands of Storm fans ( as evidenced by their fantastic TV ratings) in Melbourne with much more live coverage throughout the season...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/queen ... 24731.html
Queensland blockbuster to kick off NRL season

David Gallop hopes the launch of the NRL 2007 season on the Gold Coast next year will help expel the notion that the game is Sydney-centric.

The NRL chief executive flew to the tourist strip today to announce the round one draw of the premiership, with champions Brisbane granted its wish to kick-start the season in a blockbuster against North Queensland at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, March 16.

NRL newcomers Gold Coast Titans will meet St George Illawarra two days later at the same venue in a feast of rugby league for Queensland fans.

Gallop said the season launch on Surfers Paradise beach on March 14 and the Brisbane double-header weekend were significant steps in giving the Sunshine State more recognition.

"It's fitting testimony to the importance of the game in Queensland," said Gallop on a rainy day on the Gold Coast.

"I think today we put to bed the silly notion that some people have put out over the years that the game is Sydney-centric.

"Queensland's hugely important to us, not only for the NRL competition but we all know the importance of Origin.

"Next year we'll have two games in Brisbane of Origin footy so there's so much for rugby league fans to look forward to."

In another important change to the NRL competition, two Friday night games and a Monday night fixture will feature next season.

Grand finalist Melbourne will meet 2005 premiers Wests Tigers in the other round one Friday night game and the Sydney Roosters will host South Sydney at Aussie Stadium for the first game of Monday night football.

Channel Nine will broadcast the Storm-Tigers match live into Melbourne and Sydney and the Broncos-Cowboys match live into Queensland.

The Titans were denied the chance to take on the Dragons on Friday night but their managing director Michael Searle was non-fussed about the Broncos playing the season-opener.

"I think it's fitting that the premiers kick the season off so I'm pleased in that regard," Searle told reporters.

"Logistically Sunday's far better for us in getting fans to the game."

The Broncos claimed they would be $250,000 out of pocket if they were denied the chance to secure star billing in the Friday night match.

The Titans requested their opening match at Suncorp Stadium because they feared up to 30,000 fans would be locked out of the historic clash if it was earmarked for the 17,000 capacity Carrara Stadium.

"It's a one-off event and our first game in the competition," Searle noted.

"For that I think people will be more than prepared to drive 40 minutes or jump on a train or bus.

"I'm more than comfortable with the decision. I think it'll be a cracker of a game."

Gallop said the remaining draw for the 25-round competition, with each of the 16 clubs having one bye, will be released next week.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: NRL Round 1 - QLD blockbusters, and Storm live into Melb

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
What a great year 2007 promises to be for the NRL.

Lets hope that this is also a sign of what is to come for the hundreds of thousands of Storm fans ( as evidenced by their fantastic TV ratings) in Melbourne with much more live coverage throughout the season...
Funny that considering the average home crowd in Melbourne for the Storm struggles to break the 10,000 mark. Where are these hundreds of thousands of Storm fans?
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

After the origin last year in Melbourne, the Storm's crowds averaged around 13.000 for the remainder of the season... Not great, but not bad either....

1,000,000 Melbournites watched the NRL GF.. .that leads me to believe that there is potential in Melbourne, and the support for the Storm and the game can only increase....

How much are the Lions going to struggle next year when there will be NRL every week in SE Qld.... ( including live matches every Friday night on Channel 9 involving one of the QLD sides...) :lol:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Great news!!!! :o

Channel 9 have been so impressed by the Melbourne ratings this year, that the last pool game of the tri nations, and the final will be shown LIVE into Melbourne....