2016 - NRL - Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings [Running season tally in OP]

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: Fight Club: 2016 NRL Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings [Running season tally in OP]

Post by eelofwest »

Xman wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Fri TV #NRL #NRLBroncosTigers Nine 452k (Syd 240k Bri 212k) Gem 30k (Mel 15k Ade 5k Per 10k)

Fri TV #AFL #AFLSwansNorth Seven 525k (Mel 400k Ade 125k) 7mate 175k (Syd 52k Bri 24k Per 98k)

Another smashing coming up. Friday night is both comps premiere ratings night and the AFL have won the vast majority of them by some distance
That are really good result for Rugby league . the top 8 players out and still 1m +, Wow just Wow

XMan you must really be desperate for success - anything :?>
your low ratings (despite the Broncos again) wont affect our near 1.3m ratings again. Would the NRL have a game in the top 5 this year?
1.3m for the AFL, get your hand off it champ...... :_<> :_<> :_<>

The usual SOO drop off in ratings for the NRL looks to be non existent after that one game.

Good ratings for the NRL during the Origin Period so far.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Re: Fight Club: 2016 NRL Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings [Running season tally in OP]

Post by Xman »

No argument here. SOO has always been a poor excuse. And yes, if fox is 350k again another 1.3m or so coming our way
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

The_Wookie wrote:
eelofwest wrote:

The usual SOO drop off in ratings for the NRL looks to be non existent after that one game.

AFl will get close to 1.3 - more like 1.25 on estimates. Metro came in at 700, with regionals likely 930-940. Plus another 300k for fox. The NRL with 482 metro, should clear 820 on regionals, plus around 220k on Fox should get 1.04

To get over 1m during the SOO period is excellent, us leagues will take it ... =D> :wink:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
eelofwest wrote:

AFl will get close to 1.3 - more like 1.25 on estimates. Metro came in at 700, with regionals likely 930-940. Plus another 300k for fox. The NRL with 482 metro, should clear 820 on regionals, plus around 220k on Fox should get 1.04

To get over 1m during the SOO period is excellent, us leagues will take it ... =D> :wink:
but but but SOO :/;
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Jealous XMan?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Xman wrote:
No argument here. SOO has always been a poor excuse. And yes, if fox is 350k again another 1.3m or so coming our way
Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLSwansNorth 338k
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Fri STV #NRL #NRLBroncosTigers #FoxSports 219k

Another low fox rating for the NRL on Friday night. AFL are miles ahead
Darren
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Waratahs

Post by Darren »

Xman wrote:

I'm not sure what your on about Xman. Wookie said elsewhere that the NRL is 9 million in front at the moment and will remain that way until the end of the year unless they have a dramatic decrease.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Darren wrote:
Xman wrote:

I'm not sure what your on about Xman. Wookie said elsewhere that the NRL is 9 million in front at the moment and will remain that way until the end of the year unless they have a dramatic decrease.
Im talking about Friday night's foxtel ratings where the AFL average around 300k and the NRL about 230k. Why is it relevant? This is the only game of the round where both comps have a single game shown nationally both on Foxtel and FTA at the same time.

All other AFL games are shown to only a portion of the country on FTA and always against another game on Fox.

In other word this is the only truly comparable game for both codes on TV
Darren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren »

Ok. Sounds like a bit of a roundabout way to compare. When Wookie said the NRL is currently in front and should remain so what was he comparing?
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Darren wrote:
Ok. Sounds like a bit of a roundabout way to compare. When Wookie said the NRL is currently in front and should remain so what was he comparing?
Wookie's comments were about who he believed would have the most total viewers at the end of the year based on the figures so far. They not only compare NRL and afl they also compare preseason games and SOO.

While some may find this figure interesting it's probably only of interest to the networks and advertising dollars. Obviously a total figure is heavily dictated by the total number of games played, how many games are on FTA, how many are shown nationally etc. The reality is the AFL and NRL have very different TV schedules with the AFL having more FTA games but far less games shown nationally

My interest in ratings is which competition has the biggest appeal on TV, the biggest audience, not who has the longest season or most games. So far this season the AFL have 4 of the top 5 rating games, and are dominating Friday night ratings which is the highest rating game for both competitions.

So from my perspective the AFL are more popular on TV even if the NRL will get more total viewers by season's end
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

NRL TV/PTV Ratings totals round by round without NZ Sky.

ROUND 1 TOTAL = 4.226m
ROUND 2 TOTAL 4.124m
ROUND 3 TOTAL: 3.738m Sunday FTA regionals missing
ROUND 4 TOTAL 4.027m
ROUND 5 TOTAL 4.130m
ROUND 6 TOTAL 4.175m
ROUND 7 TOTAL 4.218m
ROUND 8 TOTAL 4.194m
ROUND 9 TOTAL 4.054m
REP ROUND TOTAL 2.161m
ROUND 10 TOTAL 3.853m
ROUND 11 TOTAL 4.107m

2016 Total after Round 11 47.007m

NRL 2015 Total not including NZ
ROUND 1 TOTAL = 3.567m
ROUND 2 TOTAL 3.282m
ROUND 3 TOTAL: 3.104m
ROUND 4 TOTAL 3.023m
ROUND 5 TOTAL 3.656m
ROUND 6 TOTAL 3.361m
ROUND 7 TOTAL 3.364m
ROUND 8 TOTAL 3.178m
ROUND 9 TOTAL 2.716m
REP ROUND TOTAL 2.375m
ROUND 10 TOTAL 3.016m
ROUND 11 TOTAL 1.805m

2015 Total after Round 11 36.447m

Both these totals exclude Auckland Nines, Indigenous Allstars game, WCC, and Charity shield ratings.

So the NRL Currently over 10m ratings in front of the AFL with SOO 1, 2 , 3 to play and also without NZ Sky ratings.

So in Short the AFL will not get close to the aggregate total viewers the NRL will have at seasons end. :wink: :wink: =D> :lol:
Last edited by eelofwest on Sun May 29, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren »

Gee, it's a bit hard to work that out Xman. By the end of the season the NRL will definitely have 4 of the 5 top shows on all TV and probably the most total viewers. But you say even if they get more viewers you still believe AFL is more popular??

To each his own opinion I suppose.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Darren wrote:
Gee, it's a bit hard to work that out Xman. By the end of the season the NRL will definitely have 4 of the 5 top shows on all TV and probably the most total viewers. But you say even if they get more viewers you still believe AFL is more popular??

To each his own opinion I suppose.
Its not hard to understand at all. The AFL have had 4 games this year rating over 1.3m from only 11 rounds. The NRL have had none from 13 rounds. In fact Id be surprised if theyve ever had a home and away game rate over 1.3m.

So which competition has a larger following on TV?

Total figures for the season prove very little as far as popularity goes because the longer season, more games, more games in prime time, more games shown in isolation will always have an advantage
Darren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Darren »

I thought you would add up totals and work out averages over all games throughout the season. Surely total figures over the year say something about popularity as well though.

I suppose your method is coming from a AFL perspective. And didn't a League test match get big ratings recently?