The Changing Nature of Violence in Rugby League and AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.

Should natural violence be accepted in AFL and NRL

Yes, there's nothing better than players going toe to toe in the heat of battle
42%
No, I prefer they wouldn't hit each other at all
58%

Total votes: 24

TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: The Changing Nature of Violence in Rugby League and AFL

Post by TLPG »

KE is a supporter of a violent society. There is a reason why the biff is out of the AFL - it discourages participation where it's needed, at the grass roots. I cite Jim O'Dea in 1972 for a great example of what has been wiped out of the game (a little late for John Greening who was in a coma as a result for 24 hours and was never the same again not coming back until 1974). The NRL don't discourage it and that's a bad thing for participation numbers. What O'Dea did would be applauded by someone like KE and his kinfolk.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Post by Xman »

TLPG wrote:
KE is a supporter of a violent society. There is a reason why the biff is out of the AFL - it discourages participation where it's needed, at the grass roots. I cite Jim O'Dea in 1972 for a great example of what has been wiped out of the game (a little late for John Greening who was in a coma as a result for 24 hours and was never the same again not coming back until 1974). The NRL don't discourage it and that's a bad thing for participation numbers. What O'Dea did would be applauded by someone like KE and his kinfolk.
Exactly! He championed the increased violence in the RL SOO. All this just encourages violence as acceptable behavior in society. Civiled people know violence is never a solution for a dispute. What I disgrace he is! [-X
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

Xman wrote:
TLPG wrote:
Exactly! He championed the increased violence in the RL SOO. All this just encourages violence as acceptable behavior in society. Civiled people know violence is never a solution for a dispute. What I disgrace he is! [-X
America (US) disagrees.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

And look what happened in Colorado to show just how wrong THEY are!!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

piesman2011 wrote:
Xman wrote:
TLPG wrote:
America (US) disagrees.
Civiled people? Violence is a part of all civilised societies dummy. The government controls and deals out violence through their police forces and armies etc. There is no society without violence, never has been. Realising this, and punishing innapropriate violence, is what the NRL does better than the AFL :D Your pie in the sky lets all hold hands and sing kumbiah my lord just doesnt cut it you fools.

And btw isnt Australia supporting America's violence? Again looks like you turkeys are singin the ol kumbiah my lord without realising the violence in your own kitchen [-X

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

So you support the actions of Jamie Holmes in that cinema in Colorado, KE? That says plenty!!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
pookus
Seniors
Seniors
Team: North Melbourne

Post by pookus »

King-Eliagh wrote:
piesman2011 wrote:
Xman wrote:
America (US) disagrees.
Civiled people? Violence is a part of all civilised societies dummy. The government controls and deals out violence through their police forces and armies etc. There is no society without violence, never has been. Realising this, and punishing innapropriate violence, is what the NRL does better than the AFL :D Your pie in the sky lets all hold hands and sing kumbiah my lord just doesnt cut it you fools.

And btw isnt Australia supporting America's violence? Again looks like you turkeys are singin the ol kumbiah my lord without realising the violence in your own kitchen [-X
Your missing the point.Of course violence is inherent in the human condition and I for one have always been attracted to violent sports but I cannot condone spontaneous acts of violence. I totally agree that the Afl has to get better at dealing with this as does the nrl but that's not the point we were discussing.You said that letting league players punch eachother in the head helps police the game. You can't be stupid enough to believe that this is good for your sport. Its ugly ill disciplined and most of all perpetuates the belief true or not that your game is based around thugs. If league wants to expand like the afl has done it must kill this image. But most importantly is the influence that league has on the young who are involved with the game. All our kids must be taught that retaliation with there fists is wrong and leads to dire consequences. As we see in hospitals and gaols all over the country. If you want to fight hop in the ring there are regulations that make it safer and having spent a lot of time in gyms I can tell you we always taught our kids not to hit in anger. The football field is a place for skills and fierce desire. Its not a place to host mindless violence we'll leave that to our governments as mentioned.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
So you support the actions of Jamie Holmes in that cinema in Colorado, KE? That says plenty!!
Your reactive stupidity knows no bounds [-(

Read, think, then post from now on TLPG. :-k [-X

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You're the one being reactive, KE. Answer the challenge. Do you support his actions or not?
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

pookus wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
piesman2011 wrote:
America (US) disagrees.

Your missing the point.Of course violence is inherent in the human condition and I for one have always been attracted to violent sports but I cannot condone spontaneous acts of violence. I totally agree that the Afl has to get better at dealing with this as does the nrl but that's not the point we were discussing.You said that letting league players punch eachother in the head helps police the game. You can't be stupid enough to believe that this is good for your sport. Its ugly ill disciplined and most of all perpetuates the belief true or not that your game is based around thugs. If league wants to expand like the afl has done it must kill this image. But most importantly is the influence that league has on the young who are involved with the game. All our kids must be taught that retaliation with there fists is wrong and leads to dire consequences. As we see in hospitals and gaols all over the country. If you want to fight hop in the ring there are regulations that make it safer and having spent a lot of time in gyms I can tell you we always taught our kids not to hit in anger. The football field is a place for skills and fierce desire. Its not a place to host mindless violence we'll leave that to our governments as mentioned.
Spontaneous acts of violence occur all the time in both RL and marngrook. Legally. Understanding that violence is indeed inherent in the human condition is halfway to understanding my point pookus. My point is not to allow fistfights in RL or marngrook, but to allow the players to resolve serious physical misconduct on the field in the heat of the moment with swift punishment. Judds act the other week was a bloody disgrace and in this context I argue for discretion being provided to players in their reaction to the way their teammate is being treated. Sticking up for your team mates is a good value all our kiddies should learn. And in response to an earlier question "what if my kid was the one being punched?" Well if a kid of mine did what Judd did the other day I'd be bloody ashamed and be happy to see him get his block knocked off. Absolutely disgraceful and all the politically correct kumbiah singers can sing like helen lovejoy "but whaaaat about the children!" all they like. Swift punishment to these sort of incidents is the best form of prevention. Well done NRL :cool:

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
You're the one being reactive, KE. Answer the challenge. Do you support his actions or not?
That is perhaps the most stupid question I've been asked. Why am I not surprised it comes from you TLPG? :lol:

The question does not deserve the honour of an answer. [-X

xman wrote:
pookus
Seniors
Seniors

Post by pookus »

King-Eliagh wrote:
pookus wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Spontaneous acts of violence occur all the time in both RL and marngrook. Legally. Understanding that violence is indeed inherent in the human condition is halfway to understanding my point pookus. My point is not to allow fistfights in RL or marngrook, but to allow the players to resolve serious physical misconduct on the field in the heat of the moment with swift punishment. Judds act the other week was a bloody disgrace and in this context I argue for discretion being provided to players in their reaction to the way their teammate is being treated. Sticking up for your team mates is a good value all our kiddies should learn. And in response to an earlier question "what if my kid was the one being punched?" Well if a kid of mine did what Judd did the other day I'd be bloody ashamed and be happy to see him get his block knocked off. Absolutely disgraceful and all the politically correct kumbiah singers can sing like helen lovejoy "but whaaaat about the children!" all they like. Swift punishment to these sort of incidents is the best form of prevention. Well done NRL :cool:

Buddy you are off the mark here. Justice should never be dished out by those unqualified to give it. It leads to death as this thread eludes to. And I hope if your kid does something wrong on the footy field you get the chance to put your foot up his arse before someone destroys his mind with a king hit. You can't possibly argue FOR violent retaliation. It is absurd.Buy the way I see a chicken wing report on the weekend it would seem the vigilante controllers missed that one.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

KE your reply to me means you support his actions (yes, Pookus, he'd be happy to see his own son king hit). You have proven yourself to be unworthy of making a cogent point - especially when you claimed that violence is inherent in all of us!! Talking of stupid remarks! It sure as heck isn't inherent in me and plenty of people I know!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
pookus
Seniors
Seniors

Post by pookus »

TLPG wrote:
KE your reply to me means you support his actions (yes, Pookus, he'd be happy to see his own son king hit). You have proven yourself to be unworthy of making a cogent point - especially when you claimed that violence is inherent in all of us!! Talking of stupid remarks! It sure as heck isn't inherent in me and plenty of people I know!
I'm sorry mate but it is without it we would have been extinct a long time ago.But the point is even though you are attracted to violent sport doesn't mean you condone senseless violence. We are human and able to control our emotions most of the time. Our role models should encourage us to do so always.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

KE doesn't know the difference, Pookus. That reply seems a bit mixed because it's not clear if you're replying to me directly or replying to me via KE or just replying to KE.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST