Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Holmes a Court & Crowe Take Control of Souths

Post by Beaussie »

Very close considering they needed more than 75% and just scrapped over with 75.8%. Still devastating for the George Piggins camp one would think.

Also it's pretty sad that a little more than 1,200 members decided the fate of the club. Gee NRL membership numbers are embarrassing when compared with the AFL.

That aside, are Souths finally on the right track to success now?
Crowe gains control of Souths
March 19, 2006
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 14,00.html

THE South Sydney members today voted to approve the $3 million privatisation proposal by Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe.

Holmes a Court and Crowe achieved a 75.8 per cent majority vote at the extraordinary general meeting held at Telstra Stadium today, which was above the 75 per cent majority required for the bid to be approved.

Holmes a Court and Crowe will now acquire a 75 per cent controlling interest of the football club.

About 1200 members attended today's meeting, where Holmes a Court, Crowe and the chief opponent of the bid, former Souths Juniors boss Henry Morris, all addressed the gathering.

Hollywood actor Crowe was the last to speak, making an impassioned plea for members to vote in favour for the proposal, while Morris was loudly bood by the pro-privatisation gathering when he took to the stand.
JF_Bay22_SCG
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

I thought it was 3700 or so members Bryce.

One of my friends from the Cove was really nervous about it when we chatted about it on Saturday. He is a big Souths fan.

Souths are like Richmond. An extremely poorly run club bogged down by unprofessionalism & political in-fighting in the board room. But like Richmond I think Souths have a huge latent supporter base.

JF
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I was going off the 1,200 figure quoted in the Fox Sports aritcle above Jules. Even if it was indeed 3,700, it still pathetic when compared with the membership base of AFL clubs. If there is such a huge supporter base for the Rabbitohs, why isn't it reflected in the membership numbers? Souths fans like to refer to themselves as the "Pride of the League". If you ask me, they're just a bunch of bandwagoners. 80,000 for a street protest, yet lucky to get more than 9,000 for an actual football game. Pride of the league alright. :roll:

Anyway that aside, why was your friend nervous? Who were they worried about taking control? Piggins or Holmes a Court/Crowe?

I totally agree with you that the club is poorly managed. Just look at their on field performance since they returned to the NRL. Want further proof, look at the leagues club on any day/night of the week. :roll:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by Willis 21 »

Does it really matter what the number is??

I'm glad that the decision has been made by the die-hard fans that I assume would attend most matches...

Nothing stopped someone else from becoming a member and voting if they wanted to..

Only 7 people sit on the High Court of Australia to make decisions that become Australian law and affect us all... I suppose you consider this to be a pathetic number and it should be 30,000 ( like the AFL members...)
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Well obviously the lack of members is reflected in the financial position the Rabbitohs find themselves in. Last I heard they were over $7 million in debt. So called supporters only have themselves to blame for the on field and off field performance.