AFL will be watching the NRLs Las Vegas exhibition game very closely just like they did with Magic Round.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL will be watching the NRLs Las Vegas exhibition game very closely just like they did with Magic Round.

Post by Fred »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:10 pm
Beaussie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:24 am
10,000 tickets sold to the yanks at $19.00 each thus far.
Allegiant Stadium has a capacity of 65,000. To date, 27,000 tickets have been sold. About half of those have been to Australian fans embarking on the ultimate footy trip. A further 10,000 have been snapped up by Americans (prices start from $US19) and the rest have been taken up by other international travellers. A sellout is unlikely.

This is not the first time rugby league has attempted to gain a foothold in the United States. Promoter Jason Moore pulled off a coup when he successfully staged Major League Baseball matches between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks at the SCG in 2014. Four years later, he did his dough in the ill-fated Denver Test between England and New Zealand. A crowd of 19,320 witnessed the match at Mile High Stadium, half the number required for Moore to finish in the black.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it-s-5 ... 5f5c9.html
If NRL is a success in Las Vegas, how long do you think it will take the AFL to do exactly the same thing?

Just like they did with copying the NRL by playing through COVID lockdowns and moving to QLd.

Also copying the NRL with Magic Round and starting gather round.
I think there are things each code and sports copying from each other - and so they should if it is the better way to go. AFL expanding to QLD - not sure how that is copying when AFL (VFL as it was then) expanded to Sydney - a non traditional state. Also the final 8 Mcintyre system I believe is an AFL thing, I believe coaches sitting in the stands was something VFL coaches started copying from NSWRL too - and the AFL draft taken from Basketball and such in the states. If there is a good innovation in one sport it would be follish to not look at and adopt if appropriate I think.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: AFL will be watching the NRLs Las Vegas exhibition game very closely just like they did with Magic Round.

Post by azif »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:47 am
Vegas was a huge success for the NRL

I recan AFL will be looking very closely at the new Cricket stadium being built
IN NEW YORK Capacity 30k approx

AFL IN THE BIG CITY

NEW YORK 2027
If its the one Im thinking of in Nassau County , its just some temp stands being erected for the T20 world cup later this year
the usual capacity of this ground is about 10K

Its not in New York city either its , 30 miles away in the burbs
New York ( city) was considered & rejected by the NRL because of the time difference for viewers in Australia.
New York is 3 hours ahead of Las Vegas so the kickoff times for our games there were 9.30pm & 11.30pm
now you could put them back for the afl to say 4.30pm & 7.30pm NY time for those attending , but the telecast times in Aust for those games would be 8.30am in Melb
& 5.30am in Perth

theres a reason the NRL chose Vegas & not New York