Here We Go Again!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Here We Go Again!

Post by pussycat »

'Situation of gross racism': Wilkinson insulted by AFL's response

Joel Wilkinson says he was insulted by a supposed AFL claim that a three-minute video was sufficient to address the “gross racism” he experienced.

The former Gold Coast defender’s lawyer meanwhile says two former AFL players have come forward with similar allegations of racism following the announcement this week that Wilkinson will take legal action.

Of Nigerian descent
, Wilkinson, who played 26 games for the Suns between 2011 and 2013, is heading to the Australian Human Rights Commission in the next few days, alleging that he was a victim of racism and racially-motivated sexual harassment during his time in the AFL. Federal Court action could follow.

His lawyer Will Barsby of Shine lawyers said on Thursday that Wilkinson was delisted at the end of 2013 after being labelled a “grandstander” by Gold Coast officials.

“Like any workplace, sometimes that employer doesn’t want to keep that perceived ‘problem child’ around,” Barsby said, arguing that Wilkinson’s employment had been prematurely terminated because he spoke up.

Barsby said that Wilkinson was seeking compensation for loss of income but that the case was “bigger than that” and about a "broader issue".

Wilkinson’s experience with racism during his career was no secret
. In 2011 Western Bulldogs player Justin Sherman was suspended after racially vilifying Wilkinson during a match between the clubs, while the following season Collingwood took action against one of its supporters who shouted racial abuse over the fence towards the backman during a game between the Magpies and Suns.

The AFL issued a statement on Wednesday after Wilkinson’s claims became public, referencing a 2014 AFL-produced video campaign titled Making a Stand in which Wilkinson participated.

“We are sorry that Mr Wilkinson suffered experiences of racial abuse during his time as an AFL footballer,” the league said.

“He has previously shared his experience of racial abuse, helping educate the community via a series of social awareness videos produced with the AFL.

“We respect a person’s right to pursue claims through the legal system. We will continue to work with Joel to seek to resolve this matter.”

But Wilkinson hit back on Thursday, saying he’d been insulted by the league’s statement.

“In reference to the AFL’s position for many years and their recent statement it is disrespectful to the gravity of the situation to continually deny my experiences and claim one three-minute video was sufficient to address the situation of gross racism,” Wilkinson said.

“It is an insult that is so out of place in the global climate of racism and in the modern workplace.

“For many years I continually approached the AFL. I’ve had to keep pushing the issue, it has now led me here, having to pursue legal action.”

For legal reasons Wilkinson did not field questions on Thursday, but issued a lengthy statement, noting that he “won’t be silenced anymore”.

“It seems in recent times the dark works on the inside of the AFL are being revealed, and I hope this gives others the courage to come forward,” he said.

“Let me make it clear, this isn’t a past issue, this is very present, happening now and many other players in the system have experiences of racism similar to mine.

“From this loss of career, and suffering, I seek justice. The world is watching.”

Barsby would not go into details of the sexual harassment claim, other than to say it was racially motivated. However he confirmed several other players had made approaches since Wilkinson came forward.

“We’ve already received a number of calls from other players who’ve had similar experiences. For legal reasons as you can appreciate I’m limited in what I can divulge, but what it does show is the power of one coming forward. It shows a deeper issue within Australian workplaces,” Barsby said.

“It’s the ongoing racial discrimination that he sees and witnesses, and that he hears from colleagues and friends, and the ongoing effect that has on him as well.”

Barsby would not outline how long his client had been in discussions in the AFL, nor would he confirm whether the league had offered Wilkinson “hush money”, but he said talks between the parties had ended.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Here We Go Again!

Post by NlolRL »

The AFL acted when he was vilified by a bulldogs player 7 years ago, and by a collingwood fan, who was reported by a collingwood player. Wilson even participated in an AFL video talking about standing up against racism.

Im not sure what else he is expected other than maybe $$$
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Yeah, they acted alight :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . They showed a 3 minute video on what not to do. Racism is no longer part of the AFL :(/ :(/ :(/.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

This Wilkinson bloke sounds like a decent intelligent chap. Great to see he’s not gunna simply lie down and cop the shit he took. That takes guts and, well we all know how rife the afl is with racism, so we should all support him. Except for nlol, he’ll do whatever he can to assert racism isn’t a severe problem in the afl [-o<

You could almost say it’s worse than racism itself, what with the lengths nlol takes. It’s definitely unaustralian and very poor form

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Most racist sport in this country by a long long long long long way
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:34 pm
Yeah, they acted alight :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . They showed a 3 minute video on what not to do. Racism is no longer part of the AFL :(/ :(/ :(/.
he participated in that video. If he wasnt happy with the response why didnt he say so at the time instead of waiting 4 years?

His lawyers said "It shows a deeper issue within Australian workplaces". Sounds like they are targeting racism in Australian culture, and 4 years ago his employer was the AFL who just happened to let him go.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Defend defend defend defend .

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:45 am
Defend defend defend defend .
I dont think it's unreasonable to ask obvious questions
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:32 am
pussycat wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:34 pm
he participated in that video. If he wasnt happy with the response why didnt he say so at the time instead of waiting 4 years?

His lawyers said "It shows a deeper issue within Australian workplaces". Sounds like they are targeting racism in Australian culture, and 4 years ago his employer was the AFL who just happened to let him go.
Yeah....I think you're onto him pal. This rascially rabbit shoulda opend his big trap when he took part in the video. I mean he was a first or second year player on a minimal wage trying to prove himeself - he had plenty of power over his employers and the AFL to tell 'em where to go. This reeks of the AFL being victimised!!!!!

And yes you are right again my friend: they are targeting racism in Australian culture and trying to blame the Fumbling League by default. This is cowardly behaviour by this smart arse kid & his toffee nosed lawyers.

The Fumbling League should make a stand about being randomly attacked by ex players about their former clubs, players, administrators, supporters & the game in general. It's not actually about the game....it's about Australian culture.....Dumbo's.

Oh the outrage!!!!!! What would the behaviour of an AFL clubs players, administrators & supporters have to do with their ......ummmmm......behaviour......yeah exactly........ummmmm. Struggling here pal....can you help me????

Anyway .....I'm with ya 120%.....maybe more. Throw the book at the ungrateful snotty nosed kid!!!!! Bankrupt him & give all his money to the Australian Fumbling League. That'll teach the upstart a lesson he'll never forget!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

He failed as an AFL player, then failed to make it into the NFL, then failed to return to the AFL again. Years later he suddenly decides action against the AFL is a high priority.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

NlolRL wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:24 pm
He failed as an AFL player, then failed to make it into the NFL, then failed to return to the AFL again. Years later he suddenly decides action against the AFL is a high priority.
‘Adam Goodes is a massive cheat’

‘Joel Wilkinson is a massive failure’

‘King-Eliagh is a disgrace and should be “permabanned” from talking footy’ :lol:

Can anyone else see a pattern in nlols responses to those who take a strong stand against racism in the afl?

Be careful with your responses now me members, nlol is a special kind of pissweak on this issue. If you suggest he’s bordering on racist with his unfounded attacks on those who take a stand against racism in the afl he’ll call for you to be ... “permabanned” :lol:

:)))

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Ooh my god, there at it again. Eddie forced to apologise on air after verbaly attacking a legless woman! [-(

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Watch the fumblers fall over themselves to make excuses for this fat piece of shit .
Oh he was tired
It was just an innocent joke
He didn't really mean it.
Yet here he is again .
Maybe if they had outed the racist bastard for life then he wouldn't be making fun of a legless woman .

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:57 pm
Ooh my god, there at it again. Eddie forced to apologise on air after verbaly attacking a legless woman! [-(
You're at it again too. It's "they're" you dunce.

Eddie is being roasted and rightly so
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:29 pm
Watch the fumblers fall over themselves to make excuses for this fat piece of shit .
Oh he was tired
It was just an innocent joke
He didn't really mean it.
Yet here he is again .
Maybe if they had outed the racist bastard for life then he wouldn't be making fun of a legless woman .
Wow
Why is it so easy to,predict what happens in this abortion of a sport

Lol
Maybe because, the same old bullshit is trotted out each time .( doesn't matter what ..lol,catering tents is a prime example)

McGuire apologised "unreservedly" for his comments later in the broadcast.

"Before the bounce I made some comments about how we do the coin toss," he said.

"It had nothing to do with Cynthia Banham, who was the coin tosser tonight at the SCG, who has a disability.

"I just want to apologise if this was communicated in the wrong way.
"I did not mean to offend anyone, especially Cynthia and I apologise unreservedly to her and her family and friends, Swans supporters and anyone watching tonight who took it that way."

Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher said he did not think McGuire intended to offend Ms Banham.

"I'm absolutely confident there was no malice intended, I know that Eddie apologised immediately," he said.

"Can I say, I think all Australians admire Cynthia Banham.

🤣
Xman wrote