Will Latham Survive?

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Will Latham Survive?

Post by Beaussie »

After seeing the news tonight, I'm worried for the ALP. Latest opinion polls have Latham's approval rating at 25% with Howard on 60%.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fair dinkum guys, can you believe the crap on the news about Latham not making a statement about the tsunami? :roll:

Seriously what was expected of him? "Oh Mr Howard is so generous we as the ALP couldn't have put forward anything better". :roll:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
Latham may go in 24 hours: Carr
January 18, 2005 - 8:13AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Lat ... click=true

Ailing federal Labor leader Mark Latham was expected to step down from his position possibly within the next 24 hours, NSW Premier Bob Carr said today.

And former ALP leader Kim Beazley was an interested and credible candidate for the top job, he said.

Pressure is mounting on Mr Latham to end the speculation over the leadership, sparked by last week's announcement he was suffering from a second bout of pancreatitis.

As the federal malaise threatened to disrupt Labor's dominance across state and territory governments, Mr Latham has been urged to draw a line in the sand over his leadership.

"I think there's an expectation now as this concern has gathered pace over recent days that he will do that (step down)," Mr Carr told Radio 2UE.

"(There's an) expectation that his silence means that he's reached a decision to move on.

"I would think the party would be expecting it and the party would welcome it, and we say that out of all concern for him and his family given the obviously serious health condition that the Lathams are now coping with."

When asked if he believed it would be in the best interests of the party for Mr Latham to step down, Mr Carr said; "I not only believe it, I think that's the consensus that's emerged within the Labor Party.

"Indeed I'd go a step further. I think there's an expectation that that is going to happen," he said.

There was also an expectation Mr Latham should step aside sooner rather than later, he said.

"Labor's on the canvass, I think we wanted after October 9 some evidence of a plan for federal Labor to reconstruct and to pull together," he said.

"The vacuum that we're now experiencing delays that ..."

Kim Beazley was a prime candidate for the top spot, Mr Carr said.

"I don't think it's appropriate for state leaders ... to baptise people," he said.

"I'd simply say at this stage Kim Beazley is off running, running strongly. That's the impression I've got.

"Kim Beazley is undoubtedly interested and I think Kim returning to the leadership gives that stability we're all seeking.

"I think Beazley's got a lot of credibility across the board."

When asked if changes could be expected within 24 hours, Mr Carr replied: "I've got that instinct from talking to people that an announcement is sooner rather than later".

AAP

Please not Beazley again. He's had his chance.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Latham gone: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=3307
Latham quits politics for "normal life"
15:42 AEDT Tue Jan 18 2005

Federal Opposition Leader Mark Latham quit politics, saying he wanted to look after his health and pursue a normal life with his family.

Mr Latham's announcement ended weeks of speculation and cleared the way for Kim Beazley and Kevin Rudd to battle it out for the federal Labor leadership.

The 43-year-old, who has been suffering from a recurrence of pancreatitis, resigned following criticism of his silence over the Asian tsunami disaster and his attempt to keep his illness secret.

Senior Labor figures, including three state premiers, had called for him to resolve the leadership issue by the end of this week.

Mr Latham said while he had planned to reassess his future at the end of his annual leave on Australia Day, the ongoing speculation was damaging the party and needed to be dealt with.

"In recent days, I have been able to get away to rest and recover and talk to my family about our priorities for the future," he said in a statement he read to waiting media in Sydney.

"Our conclusion is that I should look after my health and pursue a normal life outside of politics. Therefore I have decided to resign both as Labor leader and member for Werriwa."

Mr Latham, the father of two young boys, thanked his Labor colleagues and voters but said he had been disappointed with the press coverage of his illness, with the media camped outside his south-west Sydney home.

Mr Latham said he had been battling to overcome pancreatitis but said the painful and unpredictable condition was incompatible with the demands and stresses of parliamentary life.

He defended his attempt to keep his illness secret, blaming the media frenzy surrounding his first bout.

"When I was hospitalised in August, for instance, the media frenzy was over the top, with photographers shooting through my hospital window," he said.

"Accordingly, I have done everything I could to keep subsequent episodes as private as possible."

He said the media had been harassing people in his street since his latest bout became public, forcing his neighbours to call the police on several occasions.

"Obviously this situation cannot continue," he said.

"Public office can take it out of people and, after 17 years and two serious life-threatening illnesses, the time has come to put my family and my health first.

©AAP 2005
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

That is indeed sad news. I very much liked the larrikin spirit he had. Gees, what does this mean for the ALP.

Personally, I'd like to see Julia Gillard as our first female PM. She shows a real fighting spirit and would not take shit of the coalition scum.