Ideas on Membership Sought

For all the latest forum/site updates, suggestions and news.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

Ideas on Membership Sought

Post by Willis 21 »

There always seem to be people joining up ( more than 200 now), but no one seems to post other than the same half a dozen of us...

Any ideas why??

:?
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I have a few theories on this:-

1. Many sign up in the hope that it is a gay pick-up site - and why wouldn't they with Beaussie as our Commander-in-Chief! :wink: Some evidence that KE is also a gay icon with his sex shop posts, but once they join and scan the site they realise that they have more chance of 'scoring' at their local park public toilet blocks! (Is that where Beaussie is now?)

2. These new 'nics' are just another pathetic attempt by Beaussie to raise a community to rival "League Unlimited" even if they are all schizophrenic personas of him!

3. They join to participate in the footy tipping competitions but they then realise that Beaussie hasn't paid all of this year's winners, so they move on to more reputable competitions!
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Yes croc... all good reasons... Especially No 2 I think..... :mrgreen:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

I can't help but think that people like crocodileman don't assist in encouraging new members to post. Also seems to be alot of people who join up just for the footy tipping. Oh and all participants have received their prizemoney if you're wondering.

All that said, I'm at a loss to explain why else new members don't post. It's a concern but I'm not sure what else can be done. Open to ideas here.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
Open to ideas here.
Post an image of KE's tongue lapping at your anus - that's sure to draw a response!! :P
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Well, he did say he was "open" to ideas I spose...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why don't people post on these bored's??

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
There always seem to be people joining up ( more than 200 now), but no one seems to post other than the same half a dozen of us...

Any ideas why??

Like I said previously I'm not entirely sure but as a comparison, the Kangaroo Army website has over 800 members yet no new posts since the 5th of November and much longer on the other boards. You'd think with over 800 members it would be a vibrant community, particularly when you consider the Tri-Nations are in full swing.

http://www.theroocrew.com.au/forums/index.php
crocodileman

Re: Why don't people post on these bored's??

Post by crocodileman »

Willis 21 wrote:

Any ideas why??

Yes, Willis' question is still as relevant now - over 320 members and only a handful of posts in the last 3 months.

Are you still suggesting I am the reason Beaussie? :roll:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

You certainly haven't helped. Especially some of your personal attacks on members in the early days, hence the removal of the TFC - Fan v Fan forum.

Anyway this thread should be about encouraging new ideas on how to get members to actively particpate in the discussions on the forums. Hopefully as the footy season begins, things will pick up in that department.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie, I'm wondering how you think the progress is going now that the footy seasons are in full swing??.....

There seems to be lots of people viewing the messages ( I assume they are unregistered though) and the postings have increased slightly which is encouraging.

I wonder if some of the anti- social and inane dribblings of a certain poster in particular scares some people away though :?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I wonder how many of the new members may be spam bots?
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Beaussie, I'm wondering how you think the progress is going now that the footy seasons are in full swing??.....

There seems to be lots of people viewing the messages ( I assume they are unregistered though) and the postings have increased slightly which is encouraging.

I wonder if some of the anti- social and inane dribblings of a certain poster in particular scares some people away though :?
Yes Willis, it has been encouraging to see lots more visits, new registrations steadily increasing and posts on the forums picking up - particularly the Rugby League board. Still would be great to have more activity but like I said things are looking encouraging.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
I wonder how many of the new members may be spam bots?
Thankfully there has only been the one human spam registration that I've come across since introducing an additional question on the registration form.

The are you human? *
Answer the Textual Confirmation question with YES to prove you are not a spambot question has resulted in at least 10-15 registrations being rejected each day.

How do I know this? Well I get an email for every rejected potential spambot registration. The spambots are not programmed to answer that question on a standard phpBB registration form and as a result the registration is automatically rejected. Here is an example email recieved yesterday of a spambot registration. They always add their web links. :roll:
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 03:26:50 +1000 [03:26:50 AM EST]
To: Talking Footy
Reply-To: Textual Confirmation
Subject: phpBB spam registration
Headers: Show All Headers

User 'aminomgodster' has failed to answer the Textual Confirmation
question correctly. It might be a spambot, therefore the
registration is rejected.

--

User: aminomgodster
E-mail domain: @goodtone.info
Signature:

We'd have thousands of spambot members registered by now if it wasn't for the added question on the registration form.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

OK, Beau, it was just a thought.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST