Moody to Sri Lanka, Chappell to India

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Moody to Sri Lanka, Chappell to India

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Moody Named Sri Lanka Coach

"Tom Moody has been named as Sri Lanka's new coach, less than a week after being overlooked for a similar position with the Indian team. Moody, who is currently the coach of Worcestershire, will be officially unveiled to the media at a press conference on Thursday morning, but it has been confirmed that his deal runs until after the 2007 World Cup".

http://content.cricinfo.com/srilanka/co ... 09921.html

Aussie's seem to be heading overseas in numbers to take on various roles in other nation's cricketing establishments. The latest to go are Greg Chappell and Tom Moody, who will coach India and Sri Lanka respectively.

Not sure how effective these two ex-players will be in a coaching role, but I suppose they will prove to be more beneficial than previous coaches.

I understand that many believe a country in our position is some what obliged to help bring the standard of world cricket up to our level, but as an average fan cheering on the Aussies, it does leave a sour taste in my mouth at times I must admit.

I mean it's great for world Cricket, but the selfish mongrel in the back of my mind comes out saying to the other countries "We worked bloody hard to get to where we are, so go and do it yourselves!".

I guess it'll just make it all the more sweater when we smash them.

Rod Marsh and England, you're next! :lol:
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Nup i totally disagree with this "bringing the standards of world cricket up" dizzy's. Yes it may bring these teams to play to a similar level to us but it is a big negative IMO and there's a reason these coaches cant get the top job australia.

The real problem i have is is this going to change world cricket? What I'm getting at is each nation has their individual flair and style of game, this makes cricket IMO competitive as teams bat and bowl differently, in different styles and therefore make it difficult for opposing teams to bat and bowl to a foreign style of play.

If india had a few more quality bowlers they would challenge australia on any pitch. I worry that an aussie coach will coach aussie styles of play, ie front foot forward, body behind the ball stuff in contrast to wrist work and a so called 'unorthodox' batting style. Bowling is the same, i really cant see an aussie coach ever teaching muralitheran anything about bowling. The only thing i can see an aussie coach helping foreign teams is in fielding.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?