Big Bash Cricket

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Big Bash Cricket

Post by Beaussie »

You a fan? Crowds seem to love the game.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Big Bash Cricket

Post by TLPG »

I like cricket in all it's forms.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I'm not a fan of test matches. Don't mind 20/20 though.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

20/20 is not cricket. It is a silly invention based on marketing rather than sport.

Test cricket is the real game, one dayers are good, they took it way to far with 20/20. I predict it will fizzle out but what are the crowd figures you're talkin about beaussie?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Fizzle out? The crowd figures tell another story entirely! The Big Bash is going great guns crowd wise. I'd like to see the final averages and compare them to the IPL.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Well it was a prediction based on little knowledge. If crowd figures are solid then perhaps it will take some time but I still think it'll go downhill after the 'fad' wears off in some years.

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Crowds have been amazing for the Big Bash. I seem to remember the same thing being said about 20/20 cricket KE (ie: "fad"). Still going strong from what I can tell.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

In fact, Beau, when the limited overs concept was first introduced the test match people were calling it a fad as well. That was in the 1970's.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Good point TLPG. Personally I can't stand test cricket. Find it boring and I doubt I'm alone in thinking that.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Well it depends. Some test matches can be very exciting. Some can be as boring as heck, especially when it looks like a draw was coming. Traditionalists point to the first tied test match in 1960/61, and one has to admit that was a classic game even in history. There have been other as well. Test cricket suffered for awhile with some captains - particularly from England - going for draws rather than wins. That attitude has changed and I think the number of draws caused by that tactic have reduced.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle and Geelong next season. How about those TV ratings and crowd figures. Still can't believe Channel 9 haven't jumped on board with FTA TV coverage of the Big Bash.

Fad? Me thinks not.
Cricket Australia considering Big Bash expansion
Malcolm Conn and Robert Craddock
News Limited newspapers
January 12, 201212:00AM

Fan favourite: A record BBL crowd at the MCG for the Melbourne derby between the Stars and Renegades. Picture: Colleen Petch Source: The Courier-Mail

THE Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle and Geelong are all in the running to have a Big Bash team as soon as next summer as the reinvigorated Twenty20 competition continues to explode.

With ratings and crowds surging ahead of expectations, Cricket Australia has already began looking at further expansion years ahead of its original timetable.

And there will be an attempt to have Australia’s biggest stars play in more games outside their international commitments.

“It’s going gangbusters,” a Cricket Australia spokesman said. “We’re way ahead of where we thought we’d be.”

News Limited Newspapers revealed yesterday that Channel Nine was showing interest in the Big Bash, but only if all the Australian players were involved with a smattering of overseas stars.

However Big Bash boss Mike McKenna claimed the Fox Sports ratings were so good that industry experts claimed they would translate to the one million free to air viewers Nine demands.

“We believe that the Big Bash is already exciting with the players we have,” McKenna said. “Fans are already coming along and supporting it.”

Fox Sports ratings for the Big Bash have almost doubled from an average of 165,000 to 288,000.

Last month a match between Shane Warne’s Melbourne Stars and Chris Gayle’s Sydney Thunder attracted 472,000 viewers, an extra-ordinary number for pay television.

Veteran’s such as Matthew Hayden and Stuart MacGill coming out of retirement have added an extra dimension but the Warne factor has been enormous.

The ratings and crowds attracted to Melbourne Stars games make him worth the $500,000 package assembled to get him back on the park for as few as seven games.

Four of the six best crowds in the competition have been to see Warne’s Stars, including the competition high 40,000 who turned up last Saturday at the MCG for the Melbourne derby against the Renegades.

Warne was also responsible for the first Big Bash sell-out in Hobart last Monday of almost 14,000, which compares to a daily average crowd of 6000 for the Test against New Zealand last month.

CA optimistically budgeted for an average crowd of 16,000 a game in the new eight-team city-based competition, which replaced the traditional six state sides two years ahead of schedule.

But with the crowd average now almost 19,000 and ratings taking off, McKenna said preliminary planning has already began for a 10-team competition.

“We put in place a 20-year plan around the Big Bash with some milestones looking at expansion of the league, with one option more teams and another option more games,” McKenna said.

“That was a lot further in the distance than what we think now.

“If it continues to be as successful as it is at the moment ….expansion of teams or games is certainly possible on a sustainable basis.

“People are wanting more.

“It’s certainly exciting enough that there are markets in Australia who have shown interest in the game.

“Geelong, Gold Coast, ACT and Newcastle have populations which are attractive to us who aren’t served by international cricket.

“There is definitely scope to look at expansion in the near future.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6242051179
cooee
Seniors
Seniors
Team: All Brisbane based teams except the Lions
Been liked: 0

Post by cooee »

I believe channel 9 turned them down because it clashed with the Tests.

Still no reason why they couldn't show the games on GEM or GO.

The Suns would be rubbing their hands together with that news. Don't they get a percentage of revenue from other activities using Metricon?

I was doubtful that it would work when they moved away from State sides to franchises but the crowds and ratings have been excellent.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Interesting stuff here. I agree with TLPGs summation of tests and think they have improved. You should come out for a day next year at sydney beaussie.

I watched part of a 20/20 game yest at the pub on tv. It looked like a tiny crowd, nothing like the one you post above beaussie. Brett lee was playing, not sure which team hes in but the crowd was small so I'm still not convinced its gunna last, and hope it doesnt. Its more a game of luck than skill IMO.

xman wrote:
NSWAFL
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Hills Eagles

Post by NSWAFL »

The Newcastle team is the one that interests me and I guess Geelong but I don't know much about there except that they are home for the reigning AFL premiers. Newcastle has hosted state games but I don't know what the interest is like in cricket there. Canberra's a great call. Manuka's a terrific cricket venue.

Brett Lee is playing for the Sydney Sixers, King. I guess the game you saw was the one against the Adelaide Strikers. Can't find any crowd number for it though.
cooee
Seniors
Seniors
Team: All Brisbane based teams except the Lions

Post by cooee »

Would there be enough talent for three more teams? I doubt it.

As for Newcastle where would they play?