Fight Club - Football TV Ratings (AFL vs NRL)

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Bbear »

Smashing win for AFL on Friday and Saturday Night, over 200000 ahead both nights.
Who would even try to argue against a beating so thorough. AFL competition is the most popular sports competition on TV and no leagies spin will convince otherwise.
Last edited by Bbear on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

#TVratings Saturday #NRL #Nine #9Gem #NRLRoostersCowboys 402k (Metro 240k Regional 162k)
#TVratings Saturday STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLRoostersCowboys 212k

More proof that showing a game on STV and FTA at the same time reduces the STV ratings. The NRL usually rate better than this on STV on Saturday night. It was well and truly outrated by the Swans too
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Cats_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:07 pm
SportCapital wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:42 pm

What you may not realise Steve, even though the AFL regularly smashes the NRL for ratings.
At the end of the season when they add NRL, state of origin and international games viewers all together RL eclipses the stand alone AFL total.
That's why they always refer to it as RL (Rugby league) as a code being the most watched.

But of course if you look at stand alone competitions, the AFL is the most watched competition, hence the regular smashing of the NRL.

I hope this was helpful and allow you to now have more informed retorts regarding ratings to our northern counterparts.
Haha thanks mate. At least that makes sense, sorta, with the accumulated totals.

So do we subtract the Melbourne ratings from origin, gf and Internationals from your year end total? Coz those figures are coming from people with a different favourite sport.
here's my take on the ratings battle:

- AFL consistently outrates the NRL on FTA, and consistently on STV when the scheduling conditions are similar. This includes games on Thursdays, Fridays and public holidays.

- However, the NRL consistently outrate the AFL on STV on Saturday's and Sundays. This is because the AFL overlap almost all their games on the weekend so every game cannibalises viewers from another. The NRL do not do this, they make sure none of their games are shown at the same time as another.

- The end result, when SOO and other rep games are included, is RL wins the total of all ratings for the year.

My view is the cumulative ratings would only be relevant when considering popularity if scheduling conditions were identical, or at least similar. They are not, so the figure is meaningless.

Fact is our GF is usually ahead of theirs, our finals usually beat theirs, our blockbuster games usually beat theirs, and our games in general usually beat theirs when shown under similar conditions.
Wow. I was under the impression that they generally outrate.

So Friday and Saturday nights very easy wins for the AFL with Saturday's AFL pre and post match also outrating the NRL match on FTA despite the AFL match itself already going for considerably longer.

Is this how it goes but then origin changes everything?
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

We have 1 or 2 games shown on their own, and win those almost every time. The all our other games are overlapped with other AFL games which means they rate about half their potential. Afterall, no one can watch 2 games at once, and even if you could it wouldnt be counted by OZTAM. So taking this into account the ratings are similar per round, but the NRL have more rounds, SOO and other rep games. So counting all those together means RL is ahead.

However, one point that isnt taken into account is our 9 games go over 27 hours of viewing, while their 8 games go for only 16 hours. So for an NRL fan to be counted 8 times by OZTAM over a round (ie a neutral fans watching every game) they only need to watch 2 hours on Thursday, 4 hours on Friday, 6 hours on Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday. While that's a fair bit of TV it's spread out over 4 days and therefore achievable.

For an AFL fan to be counted 9 times by OZTAM over a round (ie watching every game) they need to watch 3 hours on Friday, a whopping 15 hours on Saturday, then 9 hours on Sunday. Realistically, who is going to watch 27 hours of sport in 2 and a bit days? In fact they couldnt even do it if they tried because all but one of those games overlap with another AFL game. Therefore, the most they can watch is 18 hours which means they are only counted 6 times, not 9 times. In other words an AFL fan can watch 2 more hours of AFL over a weekend and counted as watching 2 less games, which drastically effects the season total.

For these reasons the ratings totals for the full season are completely misleading and heavily favour the NRL.
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:57 pm
We have 1 or 2 games shown on their own, and win those almost every time. The all our other games are overlapped with other AFL games which means they rate about half their potential. Afterall, no one can watch 2 games at once, and even if you could it wouldnt be counted by OZTAM. So taking this into account the ratings are similar per round, but the NRL have more rounds, SOO and other rep games. So counting all those together means RL is ahead.

However, one point that isnt taken into account is our 9 games go over 27 hours of viewing, while their 8 games go for only 16 hours. So for an NRL fan to be counted 8 times by OZTAM over a round (ie a neutral fans watching every game) they only need to watch 2 hours on Thursday, 4 hours on Friday, 6 hours on Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday. While that's a fair bit of TV it's spread out over 4 days and therefore achievable.

For an AFL fan to be counted 9 times by OZTAM over a round (ie watching every game) they need to watch 3 hours on Friday, a whopping 15 hours on Saturday, then 9 hours on Sunday. Realistically, who is going to watch 27 hours of sport in 2 and a bit days? In fact they couldnt even do it if they tried because all but one of those games overlap with another AFL game. Therefore, the most they can watch is 18 hours which means they are only counted 6 times, not 9 times. In other words an AFL fan can watch 2 more hours of AFL over a weekend and counted as watching 2 less games, which drastically effects the season total.

For these reasons the ratings totals for the full season are completely misleading and heavily favour the NRL.
That's very well explained
They have their final number which can be pointed at and not argued but if you have the same people watching more games I fail to see how that can indicate a more popular game.
Dear NRL guys. Please come and respond to this, interested to see the retort.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

They wont respond. They dont engage in these points because it shows their cumulative ratings 'victory' is all smoke and mirrors and is only acknowledged by Roy Masters, RL puppet.

But you are spot on, their games are watched by a same smaller audience, but scheduling differences mean they watch more often
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Cats_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Wow there's going to be no point with you, I'm glad I've learnt that early
What you may not realise Steve, even though the AFL regularly smashes the NRL for ratings.
At the end of the season when they add NRL, state of origin and international games viewers all together RL eclipses the stand alone AFL total.
That's why they always refer to it as RL (Rugby league) as a code being the most watched.

But of course if you look at stand alone competitions, the AFL is the most watched competition, hence the regular smashing of the NRL.

I hope this was helpful and allow you to now have more informed retorts regarding ratings to our northern counterparts.
Haha thanks mate. At least that makes sense, sorta, with the accumulated totals.

So do we subtract the Melbourne ratings from origin, gf and Internationals from your year end total? Coz those figures are coming from people with a different favourite sport.
Lol
Some facts for you
Afl fans on here only look at ratings through the insular prism of one comp..because that's all they have
We are multi tiered..with rep games attracting huge ratings ..a positive
But also impacting on nrl game ratings due to missing players etc .a negative .

AFL has more games per week .
Has more teams .

RL has a team from Nz who's home ratings are not counted amongst the ratings

So it's 18 teams ratings v 15 teams ratings plus rep games .

Afl games that overlap are broadcast into home markets to maximise viewers .
Which makes up for the loss of any viewers due to overlap .

Yet despite all this we smash you in overall ratings for th year..
Some accept this .
Others are far too brainwashed to see the reality

As for subtracting viewers because it's not their fave sport .
What the fuck are you on
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:15 pm
They wont respond. They dont engage in these points because it shows their cumulative ratings 'victory' is all smoke and mirrors and is only acknowledged by Roy Masters, RL puppet.

But you are spot on, their games are watched by a same smaller audience, but scheduling differences mean they watch more often
We have responded over & over .
You just ignore facts & post the same rot over & over .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:19 pm

We have responded over & over .
You just ignore facts & post the same rot over & over .
yep, fishbowl, laps, and call Gil......they're the usual response.

In all fairness, at least you reply with something notable stating more than 1 game target multiple cities. However, I've shown this in no way offsets the disadvantage showing two games at the same time in average ratings
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Its no different to how your ratings are counted, No different to any other TV ratings. However if you want to be pedantic . We have had 4 of the top 5 rating shows for the last 10 years . And the top rating show is almost always a league game,

And its Complete and utter bullshit that the article by Roy Masters wasn't acknowledged by anyone else. Following that article you AFL nut's were running around like chooks with your heads cut off. 'we need to make changes we need to make changes Blah, blah, blah , less players on the field, blah, blah ,blah.

Your usual excuses about scheduling defy logic , but what's knew, just like all the buts buts and crap you get on with. Adelaide, Port, Swans, GWS, Freemantle, WCE, Suns And Lions are all shown on into there own markets each and every week. Which more than makes up for any loss of ratings you may have on PTV due to overlap.

So what part of that cant you understand? We play less matches yet attract more viewers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Lol
Some facts for you
Afl fans on here only look at ratings through the insular prism of one comp..because that's all they have

Has more teams .

Some accept this .

What the fuck are you on
What the fuck am I on? Directed at thingo's signature.
"Australia's most popular sport"
Apparently based solely on accumulated ratings.
So do the Melbourne eyes on the only part of your game which is interesting count toward your accumulated figures which indicate the most popular sport?
SportCapital
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm-Essendon Bombers-Melbourne Victory
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Post by SportCapital »

Cats_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:39 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Lol
Some facts for you

Has more teams .

Some accept this .

What the fuck are you on
What the fuck am I on? Directed at thingo's signature.
"Australia's most popular sport"
Apparently based solely on accumulated ratings.
So do the Melbourne eyes on the only part of your game which is interesting count toward your accumulated figures which indicate the most popular sport?
It says it on their website...........
Baseless self proclamation.
Like "the burgers are better at Hungry Jack's".
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

There is a difference between a slogan and a statement of fact!
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

You guys have all the stats... what are the averages then? Does league do particularly well on fox?
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:43 am
There is a difference between a slogan and a statement of fact!
How do you determine the difference