IC 2014 Preview: Great Britain

Australian Football news and discussion.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: IC 2014 Preview: Great Britain

Post by King-Eliagh »

You see I must say I take some offence to the naming of this comp. to me "having lived o/s between the ages of 10 and 16 is firstly grey I.e how long between this years? 6 months? One year? And secondly it's quite clear to me with 14 players "currently residing in aus" that what we have here is more of an international expat cup rather than an international cup.

I think the governing body should really think about it and whether they are trying to dupe the public ... ...

But go the Irish team! A lotta them would be bona fide internationals I reckon.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hmmm interesting pt re league World Cup and the nrl. But we do know the nrl is a very multicultural league in comparison which might just make ur point rather void wookie. The entire 6 years between 10-16 imakes it more legit but I think this could quite possibly be a very relaxed rule due to the comp being amateur...

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Been liked: 0

Post by cos789 »

The_Wookie wrote:
the AFL doesnt care about being international.
Is that your opinion or do you have some statistics to back that up?
Nice try Cos.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

You've got interviews with people wanting money that doesn't necessarily mean the AFL doesn't care about being international.
It's a question of cost/benefit.
ATM the AFL has it's priorities on on certain select areas.
Now, you may criticize AFL funding but statements like yours are rather unprofessional.
So I ask you, how would you go about developing Australian Football internationally?
Nice try Cos.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

So I ask YOU, how would YOU go about developing Australian Football internationally?
Nice try Cos.
cos789
Coach
Coach

Post by cos789 »

The_Wookie wrote:
What little development there is done internationally is done with the express purpose of providing recruits for the AFL, not for improving the game overseas. Its why most funding is done through Australian government bodies, and why AFL involvement aside from a couple of development officers (there is one AFL officer in all of Europe for example) and 2 combines in the US and Ireland, is almost non existent.

I would begin to improve development by actually being more involved in the development

1) By actually providing a maningful level of funding. If you want to be the world body, then act like it.
2) By staging the international cup outside Australia every once in a while. The UK could hold it - they have the grounds, and if the US can hold their nationals they could easily accommodate an International Cup - which this year was held mostly on 3 Ovals at Royal park.
3) Send teams of recently retired players out to conduct regular coaching clinics overseas. Even if its annually.
The AFL do care about the game internationally but I agree with you that their focus is cost/benefit wrt to the AFL.
Thus significant investment is close to Australia in the RSA, PNG and NZ and drafting combines.
A lot of investment comes from Ausaid (not the majority).
More is happenning like AFL ME and AFL Asia but hardly commendable.
1.IMO the AFL income should be divided on a stricter percentage basis and overseas development's cut should equate to income of one AFL player per team. Even though AFL is big in a little country a significant amount should be returned to grassroots and development. The AFL probably sees itself doing enough wrt GC, GWS and now NZ, but even small increases like extra development officers would go a long way.
3. I don't see the need for players to specifically involved but more broadly development officers that preach sports programs to educational institutions, run coaching clinics, skills clinics , umpiring clinics and administrative skills etc. Of course profile players would be a bonus as dev. officers.
2. You must realize that the IC is held in Melbourne because the players demand it. That's not so bad as the IC is the perfect vehicle to publicize AR overseas to Australians. So IMO teams should be subsidized to make the event as large as possible. At the same time there need a Europen competition to focus on like a WC in alternative years.
Nice try Cos.