Is the AFL an institutionally racist organisation?

Australian Football news and discussion.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Is the AFL an institutionally racist organisation?

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hi Folks,

Well my answer is yes and I'll explain why.

In Australian terms, institutional racism can be defined as the systemic failure of an organisation to meet the needs of Aboriginal people. Now we all know the afl does some good work in working on recruitment pathways and promoting the sport to Aboriginal people, as does the nrl. In this aspect I'd say both codes and their Aboriginal representatives should be commended for a lot of their work. It's great stuff. But the AFL imo has a broader market than the NRL in this area. This really is a plug for the afls reach in this country but on the flip side, I don't think the afl is meeting the needs of the specific markets im talking about. I'm talking about places like the tiwi islands, northern territory and western Australian remote and regional communities. The AFL has a massive following in these remote areas. Absolutely massive, ive seen it on my travels. Even the remotest of communities in the NT have a marngrook field and the majority of kids play and support an afl team. But, in terms of central Australian communities, Liam Jurrah is the only bloke Ive heard of who's been recruited... and I know for a fact there'd be many others who could have easily made the cut from this region. How many from the tiwi-islands? How many Aboriginal people who are from the more rural and remote areas of our top end and central Australia, people who don't speak English as a first language like Liam Jurrah, how has the afl faired in recruiting those who deserve their opportunity? I don't think its anywhere near enough.

Yes theres many issues and quite a cultural divide to bridge but surely the AFL could do better than they have in this area? The whole "one white parent issue" really highlighted the problems the afl have had in developing pathways and access for many a young Aboriginal superstar.

Note I've put this in the AFL board because im not really into fighting about this, I'm dead serious about promoting a bit of objective discussion about it.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Re: Is the AFL an institutionally racist organisation?

Post by King-Eliagh »

We really shouldapplaud the afls action against the crowd member who had another go at goods last week but this is still not enough. Banning a fan is easy work. Sacking a club boss is harder but really sends the institutional msg loud and clear. Eddie McGuire eh... [-X

xman wrote:
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 0

Post by NRLCrap1 »

Aw not this AGAIN!!!!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I think the new members might have the maturity to discuss this issue now cwap1. Please provide ur thoughts if you have any on the actual topic. If not I kindly ask you to take ur little wee wees in another thread.

Thanks,
King

xman wrote:
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 0

Post by NRLCrap1 »

This thread should be deleted as RACIST!! TLPG and Cracker already burned you on it, GOOSE! Fact - the AFL is NOT an institutionally racist oragnisation!!

Get fricking used to it!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!