GWS 'Talent'

Australian Football news and discussion.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

GWS 'Talent'

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hi Guys,

Lets discuss something ive been pondering for some time now. After reading an article based on stkilda years ago I remember reading that approx. only 20% of players who make the afl actually go on to have a career of five years or longer. This begs a major question and imo the major issue with the establishment of GWS, a team who originally began with 95% of its players made up of 'young up and comers'.

So, some goo research for the AFL's establishment team would be to ask the question. How many of the GWS original players will be present in the afl 5n years down the track in 2017? Would it be only 20% of them? I reckon it'll be more than that because they were 'y=up and comers' and also because they are with the gws giants, a second rate side. But the other question would be - what % of those giants players would deserve a spot on afl teams who are in the top half of the comp??

Personally I really think the afl mucked up on their establishment program here. It seems glaringly obviuous that the only reason the giants will improve will be if they recruit more seasoned professionals rather than relying on their original player set. But what do you guys honestly reckon?

:)

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: GWS 'Talent'

Post by Beaussie »

Ridiculous thread. GWS are improving and their young talent is the envy of all other clubs.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by Swans4ever »

Even if they don't play for GWS most if not all will be traded to Melb clubs - stupid thread!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Its quite clear then the afl experiment on gws was a complete debacle. If theyre gunna just trade all these youngsters away then what was the point of putting a bunch of 18 year olds and an nrl star on the pitch in the first place? The claims at the time were that they would grow an amazing squad of yonugsters who in 5 years will be world beaters. Those were the ridiculous claims. It was never gunna happen. The only reason they are rarely competitive on the pitch today is the influx of 5 or so mature afl professional players.

So all in all, im right. :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by Swans4ever »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Its quite clear then the afl experiment on gws was a complete debacle. If theyre gunna just trade all these youngsters away then what was the point of putting a bunch of 18 year olds and an nrl star on the pitch in the first place? The claims at the time were that they would grow an amazing squad of yonugsters who in 5 years will be world beaters. Those were the ridiculous claims. It was never gunna happen. The only reason they are rarely competitive on the pitch today is the influx of 5 or so mature afl professional players.

So all in all, im right. :D
You misinterpreted what I said - "IF THEY DONT PLAY THEY WILL BE TRADED". There's nothing unusual about that and I believe even in the world of RL they also trade players! Why are you so negative and against GWS if you and RD are right won't it help RL? And why is your constant attack on the AFL thread?? I thought this was the sight to talk about footy without all the negative BS TFC??? KE why don't you keep these to the TFC where you and your clones can pay yourself a on the back ( a bit like Nero fiddling while Rome burns!)
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS