Is it time to merge some AFL teams?

Australian Football news and discussion.
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 0

Re: Is it time to merge some AFL teams?

Post by NRLCrap1 »

No mergers! Don't need it!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

I don't think it's a case of we don't need it, NRLC. It's a case of no one will merge.

I don't agree at this point that St.Kilda should play 4 games in New Zealand. Not yet. Develop the one on ANZAC Day and expand later. I also don't agree with North and Hawthorn in Tasmania, chiefly because that state is in an absolute mess at present and needs a lot of work - to the point that I think they should both leave Tassie alone for a period of time while they get the TFL back in order.

I agree with the home games in Darwin and Canberra although in the case of the latter they have to look at a relocation and I've said before on here that it should be North Melbourne. There's also Cairns, and Alice Springs are making their debut this year. Ballarat is in the works although that needs a stadium upgrade (it's capacity is about 4,000 short I think). Wagga should be considered as well, and if it's up to it at the Number 1 Sportsground how about Newcastle?

Swans, WA have to be in the same pool as SA and Victoria. Drop the O/S team to Pool 2. And merge NT with the Indigenous team - Queensland can stand on their own.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

TLPG wrote:
I don't think it's a case of we don't need it, NRLC. It's a case of no one will merge.

I don't agree at this point that St.Kilda should play 4 games in New Zealand. Not yet. Develop the one on ANZAC Day and expand later. I also don't agree with North and Hawthorn in Tasmania, chiefly because that state is in an absolute mess at present and needs a lot of work - to the point that I think they should both leave Tassie alone for a period of time while they get the TFL back in order.

I agree with the home games in Darwin and Canberra although in the case of the latter they have to look at a relocation and I've said before on here that it should be North Melbourne. There's also Cairns, and Alice Springs are making their debut this year. Ballarat is in the works although that needs a stadium upgrade (it's capacity is about 4,000 short I think). Wagga should be considered as well, and if it's up to it at the Number 1 Sportsground how about Newcastle?

Swans, WA have to be in the same pool as SA and Victoria. Drop the O/S team to Pool 2. And merge NT with the Indigenous team - Queensland can stand on their own.
Agree with NT/QLD proposal but the reason I have WA in pool two is that if the winner of pool 1 play 2nd in pool 2 and then goes to the championship final it could become lopsided - IMO SA is not as strong WA but I think you understand where I'm coming from - also having SA in the seeding matches will generate interest IMO. Have an international side made up of AFL players born OS (or second gen) to even out comp to 8 sides. What do you think about the chance it would be successful?? Personally I think that if every four years played after AFL season in November we most prob will get all players wanting it!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You won't be able to overcome the difference between the big three (plus Indigenous/NT) and the rest. The two pools in fact should be two permanent divisions. Tasmania might catch up later (there was a time when they were equal to the big three but not anymore) but only if they fix up their own problems.

Would it be succesful? Every four years - no it won't. It'll be forgotten quickly because rep football at AFL level is just not on the radar - for both players and fans. Every year on the other hand MIGHT work, but where would you play it with the cricket in the way at most venues? I don't think it could be concentrated at Docklands, because that would be unfair to the other states, and then there's the weather factor.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

With Metricon, Spotless, AAMI Park and Pattisons and Edihad should be right to be utilised - how about every second year or every third year I think with every year it will be too much on already busy season. I don't like having just a two game season people like a decider - with that if pool 1 played pool 2 for the decider it may eliminate a SA or WA that's why I would separate. NSW I think today is stronger than Tassie. A team of over 50 to choose from including B Jack, K Jack, LRT, Addison, Palmer, Ward, Bruest, Bird, Tex Walker, McGlynn, Cameron, Jarrod Witts, Phil Davis, Tom Hawkins, Isaac Smith, Matt Suckling, Will Langford, Armstrong, Langford, Sierakowski, Lenny Hayes, Schnider etc etc Is not a bad side.
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
geppo
Team:

Post by geppo »

I assume you mean the largest of everything in Sydney only (not much of a challenge there) - is behind Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth I believe
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

geppo wrote:
I assume you mean the largest of everything in Sydney only (not much of a challenge there) - is behind Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth I believe
Yes Geppo only refers to the Sydney market and the Swans being bigger than any club
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Swans4ever wrote:
With Metricon, Spotless, AAMI Park and Pattisons and Edihad should be right to be utilised - how about every second year or every third year I think with every year it will be too much on already busy season. I don't like having just a two game season people like a decider - with that if pool 1 played pool 2 for the decider it may eliminate a SA or WA that's why I would separate. NSW I think today is stronger than Tassie. A team of over 50 to choose from including B Jack, K Jack, LRT, Addison, Palmer, Ward, Bruest, Bird, Tex Walker, McGlynn, Cameron, Jarrod Witts, Phil Davis, Tom Hawkins, Isaac Smith, Matt Suckling, Will Langford, Armstrong, Langford, Sierakowski, Lenny Hayes, Schnider etc etc Is not a bad side.
On the venues first of all - all except Docklands will be out of bounds during the off season because of the weather. It's too hot, especially at Carrara. Even at night. AAMI Stadium will be bulldozed very shortly I believe.

Whilst a New South Wales side would be pretty good, I think Tassie and Queensland can do better.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

TLPG wrote:
Swans4ever wrote:
On the venues first of all - all except Docklands will be out of bounds during the off season because of the weather. It's too hot, especially at Carrara. Even at night. AAMI Stadium will be bulldozed very shortly I believe.

Whilst a New South Wales side would be pretty good, I think Tassie and Queensland can do better.
I thought AAMI was staying as the new home of the SANFL, if the games are played at night 20 min qtrs no time on - Adelaide test is after that - we're only talking about a 3 to 4 week block once every 3 to 2 years. I'd rather see that than IR - I really don't like IR and it's BS rules.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

Don't know about QLD, but Tassie wouldn't be as strong as NSW IMO
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I like IR, but it's not working in the sense that it's no longer pulling enough interest here.

The SANFL is selling the land at West Lakes, and property development will give them a massive windfall. That's why the AFL helped Port Adelaide when they were in trouble - it was an advance pending said sale. I think the AFL did the same thing with Waverley, but were forced to keep the oval itself when the stand was heritage listed.

I've seen the footy in both Tassie and NSW and I can tell you Tassie is stronger.

I think everyone knew that summer play was out after the Carlton/Collingwood New Year's Eve game - no matter what the venue, even at night. If it was to happen, it would have to be the week after the grand final and no later. No way would anyone play outside of Darwin at that time of year - and even then Darwin would be tough except for those who are used to it.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by NRLCrap1 »

Couldn't Etihad be cooled under the roof?
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

No it couldn't, NRLC, because it's too big. Humidity is the biggest threat there.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

But TLPG - temp are actually cooler in Oct - Nov then they are in Jan Feb - yet we play prac matches and in the past NAB matches - started the season proper in March this year. I don't think it will be any worse - in fact it will be cooler than prior to season proper. Lastly If any of the Swans are playing I don't want the risk of them getting injured before season starts or during - wouldn't like to have a finals appearance resting on an injury!