AFLST Round 1 2005 Preview

Discussion about grassroots football and regional footy leagues.
Matrix
Rookie
Rookie
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

AFLST Round 1 2005 Preview

Post by Matrix »

The following is this week's games for the Premier League, plus the Tasmanian Devils first home game. In Bold are the tips for this weekend.

Round 1 - 9th April

Clarence v New Norfolk
Kingborough v Glenorchy
Hobart v North Hobart
Brighton v Lauderdale

Tasmania v Geelong – North Hobart Oval

2005 Round One Preview

Clarence Vs New Norfolk

The grand final replay is going to be a firey clash, as promised by New Norfolk Coach Matthew Smith after last year's grand final. New Norfolk will be a tough team to beat, with the inclusions of Britten, Salter, and Owen all from Glenorchy, adding to the side. Clarence have been weaken by the loss of Stuart Probert for the first 8 weeks. Still I think Clarence will be too strong at home. Roos by 10

Glenorchy Vs Kingborough

Glenorchy have been weaken with a lot of losses over the summer, and I have yet to hear of who the Magpies have picked up, Kingborough has also lost a few players over the summer months. I still believe Glenorchy will be too strong at KGV, though it shouldn't be a big margin like the last time these two played at KGV Oval. The young Magpies will have a fight on their hands, but have the advantage the game being at home. Pies by 30

Hobart Lions Vs North Hobart

Finally the Hobart FC have a new nickname, and will have a new mascot, North Hobart haven't looked that flash during the pre-season, first being thumped by Launceston, and then getting thrashed by the Devils. Hobart on the other hand have lost a few players over the summer, and are under a new coach in Ian Wilson, I would tip the Lions to win, but I think the Demons will be too strong for them. Demons by 40

Brighton Vs Lauderdale

Robins would hope to be competive in their first game under new coach Gary Splann, last time they played the Robins almost stole a win, but I don't think they will get close to the Bombers. It's going to be interesting to see if the Robins can come close, but it would be doubtful. Bombers by 100+
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Who's been the dominant club in the Premier League down there over the last 10 years or so Matrix? What's the standard of footy like?

How would it compare with other leagues? For example, I'm in Darwin and we have the NTFL and TEFA (Top End Football Association) with some great players coming out of the NTFL in particular and making it in the AFL. The standard is extremely high and the skills are incredible but the heat and humidity tends to slow some of the bigger players down in the last couple of quarters. No such excuses in Tassie.
Matrix
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by Matrix »

Clarence has had a strangle hold on the footy in the South for the last 10 years. Currently the standard of the Premier League is average, it's getting better we just need to drop Brighton back in the regional league.

The crowds were better last year, we had 4 games that got 1,000+ crowds which was good. Though the league still needs to be worked on, get some more kids out there playing and get the media invoved.
Matrix
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by Matrix »

On a side note I will do a match review of the Glenorchy/Kingborough match as soon as I get home, as I will be attending the game.
Dave.

You may be only young once, but you can be immature forever.