Citizenship test how well would you do

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.

Do you agree with GOvernments citizenship test

Poll ended at Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:18 am

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 7

TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

If you look at it a certain way, Dogsact, they're actually right - except that we can break it at the next election by voting Rudd in the House and giving the minor parties the run of the Senate!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
dogsact
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by dogsact »

I can only lookk my my own point of view. Despite not agreeing with Iraq, I think Howard has done some incredible things for this country. I certainly am better off under his government over the last ten years. Im not saying everyone is, but the country as a whole is in alot better situation than when he took over IMO.

I know lots of people disagree, but he has been voted back in time after time for a reason.
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

yeenar69 wrote:
C would be correct too lol
Thats what I just said.
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by LisaJ »

dogsact wrote:
Rubbish
Whats rubbish? the fact that at the moment I believe that the Government is a Dictatorship or the fact that we have a Monarchy that hardly anyone wants anymore..?
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

dogsact wrote:
I can only lookk my my own point of view. Despite not agreeing with Iraq, I think Howard has done some incredible things for this country. I certainly am better off under his government over the last ten years. Im not saying everyone is, but the country as a whole is in alot better situation than when he took over IMO.

I know lots of people disagree, but he has been voted back in time after time for a reason.
because of all the right wing conservative propergander fed to everyone day in and out through the media owned by his mates
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

dogsact wrote:

1998 - should have lost (if the primary two party preferred vote had translated into seats, Kim Beazley would have been PM)
2001 - 9/11 prevented any change
2004 - the people were bribed silly, and the ALP ran the wrong campaign in response

Bottom line, the ALP are in the best position possible to regain power. The only person that really needed to go in 1996 was Keating (as a PM he sucked). And maybe his last two Treasurers (Dawkins and Kerrin - yike!).

Without them, we would have improved anyway. The only problem was the government debt. Interest rates were already coming down - Costello merely rode the coat tails of that one. And thanks to the "recession we had to have" we had a strong base for our economy. Costello can't take credit for that - the credit goes to Keating the Treasurer (as opposed to Keating the PM!).

I for one am definitely worse off. The GST has wrecked the household budget and my needs as a disabled person (the DSP only went up by 4 percent when it should have gone up by at least 7 percent!) and as a result I hate it with a passion. The IR laws have further erroded any chance I have of getting a job (it was nigh on impossible anyway before that but now? Sheesh!!). And as for their attitude to climate change!!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

I dont agree about Keating .. he was before \his time in terms of progress as a nation ... he just proposed change for the better too soon and Howard won the next election of the back of Pauline Hanson yep he ran the race card :roll: and may be usng smoke and mirrors yet again :twisted:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Yeenar, Hanson wasn't even on the radar when Howard won the 1996. She leapt into the spotlight later than that.

And Keating's real weakness was two fold - one, he gave too much power to the unions through his version of the Workplace Relations Act - and two, the government debt.

It's funny. Howard has taken IR to the opposite extreme that Keating did - and it's going to cost him just as much I think!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

what ??? Hanson was originally pre selected for a Liberal Party seat until being dropped and then running in the 96 election for One nation.

Im right on this one as I curated an exhibition "Chip on the Shoulder" in response in December 96 to Ms Hanson

I dont agree with you in respect to Keating giving too much power to the unions

GST has done more harm than IR to small businesses
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

No she did not run in the 1996 election as a One Nation member. She created One Nation later (as you said - December 1996. The election was in March 1996). She ran as an independent and collected Liberal votes because she lost the Liberal Party support too late for them to run a replacement candidate.

Keating did give too much power to the unions, and the result was small business just wouldn't employ staff unless they absolutely had to and on the union's terms (as such). It was stupid and it had to be stopped.

But you're right about the GST harming small business more!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

yeenar69 wrote:
I dont agree about Keating .. he was before \his time in terms of progress as a nation ... he just proposed change for the better too soon and Howard won the next election of the back of Pauline Hanson yep he ran the race card :roll: and may be usng smoke and mirrors yet again :twisted:
Wasn't Howard and Fisher pushing the line that Indigenous people would claim people's backyards after the Mabo and Wik decisions despite the High Court never suggesting that was even possible. I remember the line the Coalition was pushing at the time. "We'll deliver bucketloads of extinguishment". Howard loves playing the race card come election time.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Beau, Howard and Fisher didn't originate that line. It was the National Farmer's Federation that did that - and I called it scaremongering at the time and I still do. And it was only Wik that caused the rumpus (Mabo was during Keating's time as PM and Beazley freely admitted that the first legislation as a result of Mabo was flawed - which is what led to the Wik decision to begin with).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

Beaussie wrote:
yeenar69 wrote:
Wasn't Howard and Fisher pushing the line that Indigenous people would claim people's backyards after the Mabo and Wik decisions despite the High Court never suggesting that was even possible. I remember the line the Coalition was pushing at the time. "We'll deliver bucketloads of extinguishment". Howard loves playing the race card come election time.
yes and it was because of the national parties fears in respect to pastoral LEASES being subjected to the Mabo Act which was squashed immediately when the Coalition won power with the famous ten point plan. The WIk people will never forget as the high court decision then was reversed which in turn takes Indigenous Australians back to aquare one in respect to hunting and gathering rights in their own lands pfft FENCED OUT YET AGAIN

pfft they teach you a dance you finally master it and then they throw in a few quick steps and stuff you right up.

As for the race card yep instil a bit of fear then they all go crazy now we have to watch out for all the terrorists but I now who I fear the most :roll:
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

TLPG wrote:
Beau, Howard and Fisher didn't originate that line. It was the National Farmer's Federation that did that - and I called it scaremongering at the time and I still do. And it was only Wik that caused the rumpus (Mabo was during Keating's time as PM and Beazley freely admitted that the first legislation as a result of Mabo was flawed - which is what led to the Wik decision to begin with).
Yep any legislation in respect to Indigenous and non indigenous cultures will always be flawed being they are written for the non indigenous peoples system and well never being culturally appropriate kinda like putting a round peg in a square hole.

A rumpus what the ??? the Wik mob were within their rights to lodge a claim the only runpus being made was by the Coalition who in turn are backed by the National Farmers Association. To me they are one in the same all the members here involved are in the National party ... I live in the country
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

A rumpus what the ??? the Wik mob were within their rights to lodge a claim the only runpus being made was by the Coalition who in turn are backed by the National Farmers Association.
I knew that, Yeenar! That's what I meant! And that's National Farmer's FEDERATION BTW!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST