Citizenship test how well would you do

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.

Do you agree with GOvernments citizenship test

Poll ended at Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:18 am

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 7

yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by yeenar69 »

federation ... Association who cares ... I usually refer to them as REDNECKS :lol:
dogsact
Has thanked: 0

Post by dogsact »

Thanks Yeenar. I grew up on a farm in south west Victoria. I certainly would not describe any of the farmers I know as REDNCKS. And you can't blame the farmers for wanting to protect his livelyhood. They are just trying to survive out there as well.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

survive when they come into town here in their Mercs and RM Willliams and country roads while their kids are off at boarding school .... how my heart bleeds

Yep protecting their livelyhood alright while a large number of ABoriginal people still sit on the bottom of te socio economic ladder :roll:
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Yep, you know it all. I bet they are paying thier eye teeth for those luxuries the same as many city folk. Don't pretend to know. Farmers bust their asses and deserve any luxuries they get. They are the backbone of this country.

Any Aboriginals that choose to get off the "bottom of the Socio-economic ladder" can do so by having a go. Not just sitting back relying on others to do things for them.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

yeah and you know too hey the farmers get more subsidies than anyone then make racist comments about landrights issues and native title and know jack as if they did they would know that the both acts are only extended to crown land yep the land noone wants

As for the choice of etting off ones ass look back in history it was the farmers that exploited the blacks for cheap labour while the women were used for domestics pfft funny this part of history is never remembered :roll:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Ohh..woe is me....

I just wanna blame everything on history...

Add obligatory rolly eyes emotion to end post - :roll:
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

You must be right Yeenar, Farmers are the only GROUP of citizens out there that rely heavily on handouts and subsidies. Most farmers are so so far in debt you would not believe. A bed season and a farmer can be gone, just like that. Why do you think suicide rates are so high in rural areas.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

Willis 21 wrote:
Ohh..woe is me....

I just wanna blame everything on history...

Add obligatory rolly eyes emotion to end post - :roll:
BLAME??? I was inferring to the lack of acknowledgement of history and not the continued WHITEWASH

ohh and one cannot help but to :roll: at the ignorant responses
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

dogsact wrote:
You must be right Yeenar, Farmers are the only GROUP of citizens out there that rely heavily on handouts and subsidies. Most farmers are so so far in debt you would not believe. A bed season and a farmer can be gone, just like that. Why do you think suicide rates are so high in rural areas.
and another factor being the isolation ... but the realisation is that one should live within ones means and well that is a concern with the increasing numbers of people in our society getting into debt from all aspects of our communities and suicide is still extremely high in Aboriginal men from 19-25 and is still to be addressed ohh and deaths in custody continue to occur after the royal commission over a decade ago :?:
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Farmers, like many bussiness, need to go int debt for many reasons. In my line (construction), we have been in overdraft for as much as quarter of a million dollars. It is not ideal but you are forced sometimes to do it. A farmer might have to spend hundreds of thousands before getting it back. Its not quite as easy as living week to week on a fixed income. A farmer has everything wrapped up in their bussiness. You think they have it good cos they might drive a 4wd or have a nice house. Its not that simple. Up before daylight seven days a week working then not in till after dark. Its a tough gig, and they deservr a few luxuries.

Oh, and you are only as isolated as you choose to be. If you cant survive somewhere, move somewhere else. If you choose to aim low, you probably will achieve that. I hate people with "poor me, cant get a break" attitudes. All i'm saying is when people try to improve themselves, they will probably surprise themselves with what they achieve.

As for deaths in custody, I don't know the answers to that, but I know it ain't the Farmers fault.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

yeenar69 wrote:

BLAME??? I was inferring to the lack of acknowledgement of history and not the continued WHITEWASH
What acknowledgement do you want?

And is it gunna change anything that has happened??

:roll:
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Ignorant. I thought it was pretty Ignorant to label hard working folk Rednecks when they are the backbone of the country. Dont bite the hand that feeds you.
Why don't we just import all our agricultural needs, then see how tough it is for you to survive. Im not going to take everything you say as gospel out of some misguided sense of repentance for mistakes of past generations. Where is the apology to my family in that case, for sending us over here as convicts against our will. It is not ignorance just because some of us have differing opinions to you. :?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Now hang on a minute!!

Willis, you need to apologise for that crack about "blaming everything on history"!

FACT - for 179 years (from 1788 to 1967) the white man treated the Aborigines like crap. The result was an INHERENTLY low self esteem, which only a handful have managed to overcome. And here you are effectively telling them to "get off their bums and do something"?? In case you hadn't noticed - we are dealing with something here akin to a battered wife. She gets battered - and common sense says she should get out of there. But they don't. They go back. Why? Because it's in their very being that they don't deserve any better.

Now - apply that to the Aborigines and you'll start to understand why they have the problems that they have. They need help and lots of it. The decision by Canberra to step in is long overdue, and will help.

BUT!

It won't solve everything. There has to be an acknowledgment of the pathetic behaviour of the past was wrong. And that can only be done with two words;

I'm sorry.

And a treaty to go with it that is written in a way that will stop any heroes going after compensation.

Dogsact, the biggest scaremongering tactic used by the National Farmer's Federation was the old "They'll kick us off our land" when the reality is NO! The Wik decision said that pastoral leases do not extinguish native title. Now Howard goes in and creates legislation that extinguished it - and in the process nipped any negotiations in the bud. My view is that it would have been better to legislate that pastoral leases SUPERCEDE native title. Then the next step would be negotiation. Now if the farmer can show that any access to his farm by the native title holders would adversely affect the viability of that farm, the superceding becomes law and the farm is unaffected. But if it's not, then the next step is to ask what the title holders want with the land. Now mostly it would be just to live on, and the two can exist hand in hand - unless the farmer is a racist of course.

That's where I'm coming from on that issue, Dogsact. The NFF were scaremongering when a more balanced solution that Howard's BS was - and is - possible.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

TLPG I did not comment on anyones "scaremongering". I just took strong objection to the broad labelling of farmers as "Rednecks". Most farmers are not lawyers, it was a natural reaction to be scared of the consequences of the outcome.
Just like people have a right to be nervous about an official "SORRY" to the aboriginals and the can of worms it might open legally. Wheter it is founded or unfounded is irrellevent. Whne do I get my apology for hundreds of years of Irish mistreatment at the hands of the British? I wont, and don't expect it. Two Words will not undo anything IMO
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Willis, you need to apologise for that crack about "blaming everything on history"!

FACT - for 179 years (from 1788 to 1967) the white man treated the Aborigines like crap
And the British treated the Irish like Sh!t for centuries, the Turks massacred millions of Kurds, the Belgians the same in the Congo, Japanese in Asia during World War 2 etcetera etcetera times 1000...

Yes, people have done bad things in the past that we now look back and judge harshly.... at the time of these incidents though, there generally wasn't any outcry from the societies committing these atrocities...

Thankfully societies attitudes change over time...

Personally I have never done anything to harm anyone, and I see no reason to aplogise for acts committing against Aborigines ( the majority of which were committed when we were under British rule), and I feel no more guilt for these crimes then I do for the above things I mentioned....

Remember they all happened before I was born....