The "Sheik" - How is the Swans No 1 fan going?

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:
Been liked: 0

The "Sheik" - How is the Swans No 1 fan going?

Post by Willis 21 »

Had to laugh at our fearless leader Beaussie posting this thread a few months ago at Big Faggy..... :lol: :lol:

Looks like someone has bumped it as I hear that this c*nt has been in the news lately back in Oz..

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272051

Up there, Hilaly!
By Evelyn Yamine
September 28, 2006 12:00
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

THE spiritual leader of Australia's Muslims, Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly, has joined in the football grand final fever hype – and he's backing the Sydney Swans all the way.

The mufti was disappointed when his team – the Bulldogs – did not make it to the NRL grand final and is now relying on the Sydney Swans to redeem the state's sporting reputation.

The self-confessed avid sports fan said he wanted the Swans to bring the cup home again this year.

Wearing a Sydney Swans scarf over his traditional Islamic dress robe, the mufti was not afraid to show off his athletic skills by kicking a ball around in Lakemba this week.

"I like sports in general and I live in Sydney so of course I support the Sydney Swans," Sheik Elhilaly told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"With the Bulldogs being out of the competition and no Sydney team in the rugby league grand final, I'm supporting the Sydney Swans.

"We want them to win but win or lose, we are proud of them," he said.

The mufti, who is in the middle of the Islamic fasting season of Ramadan, said he planned to be glued to the television for the football finals on the weekend.

Although he is still interested in the outcome of the NRL grand final between Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos, the mufti believes the Sydney Swans v West Coast Eagles at the MCG on Saturday is the game to watch.

"I will be watching it. It's important for everyone in NSW to get involved and show support for the only NSW team left in the grand finals," he said.
In the big footy thread, when people say:
Total douche
stone him or deport the idiot....just get him out of our faces
Are they talking about Beaussie or the Shiek?? :?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Firstly, the Shiek is an NRL Bulldogs supporter first and foremost. Secondly, I just came across this interesting article today in SMH:
Meet the in-laws: the Anglos whose son married the mufti's daughter
January 14, 2007
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mee ... 30363.html

THE Anglo-Saxon parents of a man married to the daughter of the controversial Muslim cleric Sheik Taj el-Din al Hilaly say they have not been offended by his latest outburst that Muslims are more Australian than those with convict ancestors.

Brian and Christine Tocock, whose son Malik Islam is a Muslim convert and married to the mufti's daughter Asma, said they do not always agree with Sheik al Hilaly's comments but believed he was entitled to his opinion because Australia "fought wars to have freedom of speech".

"We know what he means and we don't believe he deliberately meant to offend anyone," Mr Tocock said. "We know that the mufti loves this country but we can understand how people can be offended by his comments. It doesn't help to bridge the gap between Muslims and non-Muslims."

In an interview on Cairo Today on Egyptian television last week, Sheik al Hilaly said: "Anglo-Saxons came here in chains while we paid our way and came in freedom. We are more Australian than them. Australia is not an Anglo-Saxon country - Islam has deep roots in Australian soil that were there before the English arrived."

The mufti was invited on to the popular Egyptian program, which screens in Australia on the Orbit satellite network, to explain comments he made during a Ramadan sermon last year comparing scantily dressed women to "uncovered meat".

The Wollongong family, who are not Muslim, first met Sheik al Hilaly three years ago when their son became engaged to Asma, who is holidaying in Egypt with her parents and is also four months pregnant with her first child.

It is the first time the couple have spoken publicly about their relationship. "We are here to support our son and to also make people aware that the mufti has welcomed us into his family and has treated us well," Mr Tocock said. "He is a funny man with a wicked sense of humour."

Mr Tocock came to Australia from England 45 years ago and said he paid £10 for his ticket. His wife was born in Australia. However, neither have ancestors who were convicts.

Mrs Tocock believes many people try to put the mufti down. "I have had to bite my tongue at work when people have spoken about him," she said. "He is a lovely man who has helped so many people in his community."

The Australian National Imams Council, set up late last year, will decide on the mufti's position next month. The majority of board members are on holiday overseas after taking part in the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia and will not return until the end of the month.

The mufti is expected back in Australia later this month.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

The Shiek is a great man and leader and his words are those of a very wise individual.

The only reason idiots out there attacking him is becuase he speak the TRUTH. He is right...CONVICTS and their offspring have no rights to this country and I would prefer Muslims and any other non-Anglo group into this country anyday!

Have you noticed how not one Indigenous person is attacking the Shiek? That is becasue we all know his words are the truth.

As for these so-called Muslim 'leaders' out there attacking the Shiek there rhetoric is just as useless and pathetic of those that come out of the mouths of those unrepresentaive lackeys on the National Indigenous Council.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

This thread has turned all political and no longer really relates to footy hence it's move to here. My personal view is the Shiek is a fool to be saying the things he's been saying of late as Mufti of Australia. Then again, since when does the Shiek speak for all Muslims? He is out of touch with reality if you ask me judging by some of his comments.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

It is not political as the Great Man is a supporter of the Ca Swannies. Why he is only Allah can answer that question!
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Apparently the Sheik was spotted sitting between Beaussie and Jules behind the Northern goal at the Swans game against the Lions...

Beaussie created a bit of a "faux puas" when he went to get some food at half time for the group, and bought back a beer and a bacon and egg roll for the man...

Hasn't gone down to well at the Auburn mosque I hear, and Beaussie is living in fear that a Fatwah might be issued against him.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

LOL, I'll pay that. :lol:
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

He is a great man of wisdom!
dogsact

Post by dogsact »

Grim Reaper wrote:
He is the most destructive man in Australia. He has done more to harm relations between Muslims and other Australians than any person has.
He is not wise, he is a tool. He will be sorted out in time, he will go to far again soon and someone will knock him off. u watch.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

dogsact wrote:
Grim Reaper wrote:
He is the most destructive man in Australia. He has done more to harm relations between Muslims and other Australians than any person has.
He is not wise, he is a tool.
Agreed.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Now that the Shiek is moving on, who will replace him as the Swans No 1 fan?? :?

It will have to be someone that receives the same respect and love from the wider community...

Maybe Pauline Hanson?

Ivan Milat??

Martin Bryant??

Any other sugggestions???
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

John Coward ... :roll: yikes
TLPG