Battle Of Brisbane 2024

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Battle Of Brisbane 2024

Post by azif »

3rd installment of QLD's premier annual club game of any sport
table topping Dolphins up against last years runners up the Broncos

both teams with injury concerns but no one in the QLD capital is talking about anything else
50K sellout
TV ratings that will surpass last years record

the NRL
only game in town in ol Brisvegas :cool:
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Battle Of Brisbane 2024

Post by Bbear »

Next week we have Brisbane Lions 'vs Geelong Cats to look forward to..
Should pull a big crowd and generate a lot of interest.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Bbear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:12 pm
Next week we have Brisbane Lions 'vs Geelong Cats to look forward to..
Should pull a big crowd and generate a lot of interest.
8-[

sure it will ..

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
more people in total will watch the Titans in Brisbane in next week :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
Pete__09
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Brisbane Lions

Post by Pete__09 »

I cant believe how big the build up to this Rugby League Derby is tonight.

I am from Brisbane & it is so embarrassing that Rugby League is the most popular sport here. It makes us look like the biggest bogans to everyone else.

I mean imagine going to England or America & a city had Rugby League as their main sport. The rest of the country would laugh & feel sorry for them like most of our great country does.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Pete__09 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:36 am

I am from Brisbane & it is so embarrassing that Rugby League is the most popular sport here. It makes us look like the biggest bogans to everyone else.

I mean imagine going to England or America & a city had Rugby League as their main sport. The rest of the country would laugh & feel sorry for them like most of our great country does.
I think it is good to have a few sports to go to and follow - shows the maturity of the city. That's the thing about QLD - particularly the south East - you can try many sports and activities- from Nippers, to surfing, to soccer, RL or Aussie Rules - with a lot of people having an interest in many different sports. Go to Victoria and you are hard pressed to play RL in many areas as no teams there - although it is getting that way a little with RU on the Gold Coast must say. You go live in Adelaide or Tassie and you are limited - no RL or Union really to speak of - at least in QLD we can have a feast of different codes to watch locally and to play and many teams to get behind.

I'll be watching tonight - I think a good crowd can make all the difference when attending and viewing re: atmosphere - hopefully a close game.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
poor widdle fumbler , can't quite work out why his fellow Brisvegans don't like fumbling bumbling & missing , oh & add just about every Australian north of the murray as well , not just Brisbane
If you follow ... our... game , you're the normal one in this country

if you prefer singlets , noodle arms & fumbling .... you're the embarrassing one :cool:
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:00 am

I think it is good to have a few sports to go to and follow - shows the maturity of the city. That's the thing about QLD - particularly the south East - you can try many sports and activities- from Nippers, to surfing, to soccer, RL or Aussie Rules - with a lot of people having an interest in many different sports. Go to Victoria and you are hard pressed to play RL in many areas as no teams there - although it is getting that way a little with RU on the Gold Coast must say. You go live in Adelaide or Tassie and you are limited - no RL or Union really to speak of - at least in QLD we can have a feast of different codes to watch locally and to play and many teams to get behind.

I'll be watching tonight - I think a good crowd can make all the difference when attending and viewing re: atmosphere - hopefully a close game.
afl is only played in qld & nsw because ... your parents or grand parents played it in the sthn states before moving north , or... its a soft safe option
rl is hard to play , there is no harder collision sport on the planet
only the toughest humans play it
but its great to watch & watched it is in ever growing numbers

similar to gridiron in the USA , low participation relative to the size of the country & popularity of the sport there
NRL is the only sport that truly matters in NSW , QLD & the ACT

the others are .. niche.. only & will stay that way :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 am

afl is only played in qld & nsw because ... your parents or grand parents played it in the sthn states before moving north , or... its a soft safe option

similar to gridiron in the USA , low participation relative to the size of the country & popularity of the sport there

Indeed, niche - which is great - and how great we have so many to choose from and enjoy. I think aussie rules has a pretty long history in Brisbane though but definitely boosted by us immigrants from aussie rule states :)
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:10 am
azif wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 am

Indeed, niche - which is great - and how great we have so many to choose from and enjoy. I think aussie rules has a pretty long history in Brisbane though but definitely boosted by us immigrants from aussie rule states :)
the fact it has a long history in QLD
longer then RL does ( same in NSW & the ACT ) , & is still only niche is not great at all , its alarming . It proves it is not penetrating the mainstream despite the resources spent trying ...
Australia is a small over crowded market & co existence is a myth... the code war is real , the invasion of the north has been halted.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

WELL Battle of Brisbane over and done with..

huge press ( on Friday on FTA channels leading into the Game on the news bulletins

channel 9 and channel 7 doing about 4mins plus outside of Sport report on the build up to the game

it felt like ORIGIN HYPE
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:03 pm
WELL Battle of Brisbane over and done with..

huge press ( on Friday on FTA channels leading into the Game on the news bulletins

channel 9 and channel 7 doing about 4mins plus outside of Sport report on the build up to the game

it felt like ORIGIN HYPE
Thats 3 games now against big brother the Phins were on top , & didn't do enough with their domination. They were made to pay for those missed opportunities.

The 4th battle of Brisbane will be in round 26 . Hopefully both teams are at full strength & i suspect this game will have huge implications for the finals make up . Can't wait
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Date Day Team Arena Att. Round
12/04/2024 Friday Broncos Suncorp 46,224 6
29/03/2024 Friday Broncos Suncorp 45,793 4
14/03/2024 Thursday Broncos Suncorp 35,507 2
28/03/2024 Thursday Lions Gabba 34,022 3
08/03/2024 Friday Lions Gabba 33,367 0
10/03/2024 Sunday Dolphins Suncorp 32,477 1
06/04/2024 Saturday Dolphins Suncorp 22,051 5
17/03/2024 Sunday Dolphins Redcliffe 10,011 2
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears

Post by Bbear »

News Corp for years been the majority shareholder of the Broncos so it is in their interest to excessively hype up and promote major games.
For years NC in Brisbane has only given other sports limited coverage

Eventually when the AFL grows to a bigger percentage of the Brisbane sports market and the media outlets reflect this it's game on.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think two things have stood out this year - Brisbane and Gold Coadt on main channel on 7 and a magazine afl footy show on main channel on 7 at a regular viewing time - not 1 in the morning. Think it rates okay too for that slot.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Bbear wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm
News Corp for years been the majority shareholder of the Broncos so it is in their interest to excessively hype up and promote major games.
For years NC in Brisbane has only given other sports limited coverage

Eventually when the AFL grows to a bigger percentage of the Brisbane sports market and the media outlets reflect this it's game on.
excessively hype ?
8-[

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/

they cover what people are interested in you moron , & in Brisbane thats the Broncos & Dolphins ... & not much else :cool: