Cross-code war as Sydney’s Birchgrove Oval, a historic rugby league ground, invaded by AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Cross-code war as Sydney’s Birchgrove Oval, a historic rugby league ground, invaded by AFL

Post by Beaussie »

Yep, we can all share. :thumbleft:
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
March 12, 2018 5:18pm

THIS was once sacred rugby league territory and the home of the first premiership game in 1908.

Not anymore. The AFL installed four goalposts on old Birchgrove Oval on Monday, igniting a cross-code war between Australia’s major footy codes.

Players from Sydney’s two AFL teams the Swans and the Giants will descend on Birchgrove Oval on Thursday to launch the statewide Auskick footy festival to promote the game in inner-west schools.

AFL juniors and the Balmain senior club will now share the ground on weekends with rugby league and soccer.

ImageAFL goalposts being erected at Birchgrove Park. (Phil Hillyard)

Six years ago Leichhardt Council rejected an AFL request to play on the home of rugby league due to insufficient participation numbers.

The code has since developed to a stage where there is not enough grounds in Sydney to cater for its growth. AFL was originally played on Birchgrove Oval between 1903 and 1926 but has been off limits ever since.

The NRL launched its centenary season in 2008 at the venue because of its significance in the history of the game.

The first ever premiership matches — a double header in 1908 — featured Souths against Norths and Balmain against Wests in front of 3000 fans at Birchgrove.

These days Balmain junior rugby league is no longer the force it once was.

ImageBirchgrove Oval has a long history of rugby league. (Courtesy Ian Collis)

The demographic has changed dramatically since the 1960s and ‘70s when the Balmain Tigers won a grand final and had one of the biggest junior nurseries in the metropolitan area.

Their participation numbers have been in decline for decades and Balmain Leagues club closed and has sat idle for more than a decade.

Rugby league had only 1800 junior registrations in the inner west last year.

The AFL spent $40 million on national development strategies last year with a huge focus on NSW and Sydney junior participation. They have spent $115 million in the last three years.

Inner Wests Mayor Darcy Byrne told The Daily Telegraph the venue was for all codes.

ImageThe first premiership game of rugby league was played in 1908. (Courtesy Ian Collis)

“With the unprecedented baby boom in our area and the ever increasing demand for sporting fields, the days of valuable grounds like Birchy being used for only one code are over,” he said.

“Rugby league, soccer, AFL and cricket can coexist at Birchgrove Oval and allow the maximum number of local people to play at such a picturesque ground.”

The AFL has four clubs — Leichhardt Cygnets, Drummoyne Power, Glebe Greyhounds and Newtown Swans — and their numbers in the area have increased by eight per cent.

ImageRugby league doesn’t rule the local area as it used to. (Danielle Butters)

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said he expected junior Rugby League numbers to rise as record funding for grassroots reaches junior clubs.

“I like to see young people playing any sport — but naturally I want them playing rugby league,” he said.

“Under the new broadcasting deal we will have record funding for grassroots so we have a chance to really grow the game among our juniors.

“So I would hope it won’t be long before we see more rugby league posts going up around Sydney and NSW generally.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f3f6b78aea
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Cross-code war as Sydney’s Birchgrove Oval, a historic rugby league ground, invaded by AFL

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

WOW who would thought we would see the day....
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Cross-code war as Sydney’s Birchgrove Oval, a historic rugby league ground, invaded by AFL

Post by pussycat »

With participation levels stretching into the 100's of thousands what can the NRL do to keep them out. Especially now the greenies wont let you shoot them :roll:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

This story is a mountain out of a mole hill. They are sharing the ground with all the other codes there.
AFL still has no more rights to the ground than any other code using it.
They will just use it also.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Yep. Last time they told lies and wanted to monopolise the ground so got frog marched outta the joint. This time they told the truth and got allocated some time at the ground along with the other sports.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Yep. Last time they told lies and wanted to monopolise the ground so got frog marched outta the joint. This time they told the truth and got allocated some time at the ground along with the other sports.
lies :roll:
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 pm
Terry wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm
lies :roll:
Geez pal, you don't wanna get back into the goldfish bowl with this one do ya???????? It's been run and won. Yes, they lied, they got caught out.

It was actually good for the other sports because after this fiasco all Sydney councils now ask for proof of real registered player numbers who will actually use the fields. Not BS 'participation' numbers.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Lies only according to the Sydney media
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh dear .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The great god Fumble has truly got these people shackled, caged & under mind control lololololololololololol. Gotta feel sorry for the poor buggers lolololololol. They know not what they do or say lololololololol!!!!!!!.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Normal people just can't get their head around the afl fan thinking .

Afl caught out ....no they weren't .

🤣
Xman wrote
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

What a picturesque setting Birchgrove Oval is for the launch of AFL Auskick.

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Looks like the adults well & truely outnumber the kids
Did the children's numbers reach double figures

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:41 pm
Normal people just can't get their head around the afl fan thinking .

Afl caught out ....no they weren't .
man you guys are pathetic! Negative RL articles are all BS because of some agenda by Fitsy or News Ltd. Yet any negative AFL story is gospel :roll:
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:29 pm
Lol
Looks like the adults well & truely outnumber the kids
Did the children's numbers reach double figures
Because the adults touch the ball sometimes. They will probably be counted as players :lol:
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com