Exactly why are we spending $2 billion on new stadiums in Sydney?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Exactly why are we spending $2 billion on new stadiums in Sydney?

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Ill answer Bea . Although it's been posted many many times .

Rectangle codes do NOT WANT an all purpose stadium .
Just in case afl might want to use it once in awhile .

How fucking many times does it have to be said . An all purpose stadium is shithouse viewing for rectangle codes .
Why the fuck do you need it as all,purpose .
You got two teams in SYD that have two updated or new stadia .

Yet you want a third ...just in case .
Are you for real.

It's quite clear you have it in for RL .
You use any stupid excuse to try to justify not rebuilding ANZ ..

& once again .where were you & the other fumblers when the money was spent on the afl stadia .

Right there is where your hypocrisy stands out like dog balls .

Screech over rectangle codes getting stadia . Absolute silence when afl do .

Hypocrite
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

For the record: As beatup said I can't see a strong business case for a rebuild at Allianz and would be happy for that to be refurbished but ANZ MUST be rebuilt into a rectangular shape. This is why I a am the voice of reason and objectivity on this site. I am not driven by a raging bias as beatup is.

My argument with folk demanding neither stadium be rebuilt is their rampant hypocrisy. Why did they pick on this issue? What about AFL stadiums all round the country- nothing. What about the Sydney entertainment centre re build that cost $1 billion - nothing. What about mismanagement of the Westconnex project now costing $18 billion - nothing.

You can pick on any Gov't spending anywhere and scream, 'what about the schools, what about the hospitals, what about the kids'. It is lazy, disingenuous populist claptrap.

Fitzsimons petition could be retitled "Save the tree" and the same people in the same number would sign it. They are an activist minority and will rightly be ignored. Gladys is doing a great all round job in NSW and should be allowed to govern.

Thank You.

You know it's the voice of reason!!!!
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Beaussie wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:54 am
Terry wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 am
Beatup: this is what you said when the AFL put in their whiny bitch submission to keep ANZ oval -

'Really starting to get tired of the whining from the NRL about ANZ Stadium.

Why shouldn't Sydney's biggest stadium remain capable of hosting all sports?'

You had no problem spending the money on it if fumblehouse had their stinking nose in the public trough. Now that it is going to be rectangular only you are in bed (aarrrrggghhh!!!!) with Peter (look at me, look at me) Fitzsimons.

Your credibily is shot my friend. Your raging bias has once again ruled you out of sensible debate. Please retire from the argument lest you bring yourself into further disrepute.
Please don’t misrepresent me. :roll:

With all the problems we have in Sydney with homelessness, roads, congestion, more tolls, public transport problems, kids in demountables at school, growing hospital waiting lists etc, etc, I as a NSW taxpayer... like clearly many others, object to 3 total rebuilds of stadiums in Sydney with a starting price tag of $2.5 - $3 billion.

I was not opposed to a refurbished ANZ stadium that could provide rectangular and oval shaped seating options along with a roof. All codes would benefit with a price tag of just $350 million (see video).

None of the pro bulldoze, rebuild cheer squad have said why the above option is not worthy. It appears more a case of those in the cheer squad are championing for nothing more than ensuring they get their shiny new stadiums paid for by taxpayers with the added bonus that cricket and in particular the AFL are locked out of Sydney’s largest and premier stadium. Seems at odds with arguments put forward about the need to capable of hosting all kinds of events I would have thought.

As for Allianz Stadium... if that needs a total bulldoze, rebuild after just 30 years of operation, what about funding in the same sense for the much older and more popular SCG with its very outdated grandstands and facilities?
The SCG has just been renovated. Or have you been living under a rock?

AFL never used ANZ stadium once this year, so why would a sport be considered for a venue they have no need for.

Is 4 International football codes versus one single nation one. Union, League, Soccer & College Gridiron will all use a rectangular venue.
AFL have the scg. That is all they will ever need.

AFL IS NOT EVEN IN PEOPLES MINDS WHEN THE CONSIDERING RECTANGULAR FIELD UPGRADES. IS IRRELEVANT.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Still crickets chirping & tumbleweeds by the Aflol crowd when asked to show where the fumblefans were up in arms ...so concerned about $$$$$$ spent on AFL stadia in SYD .

Didn't seem to be a problem .
Yet now it's apparently a major issue .
What a bunch of fucking hypocrites .

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 pm
Still crickets chirping & tumbleweeds by the Aflol crowd when asked to show where the fumblefans were up in arms ...so concerned about $$$$$$ spent on AFL stadia in SYD .

this thread is about the NSW public's outcry...............idiot
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:02 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 pm

this thread is about the NSW public's outcry...............idiot
Go reread some of the fumbler posts in here iDIOT .
You'll see why I posted that .

Even those that talk about the public outcry are against the money being spent .
So yeh I asked a valid question . Where was the outcry when money was being spent on AFL stadia.

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

You said where was the fumbler outcry ....whereas it is the nsw people that are having the biggest outcry.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think this is touching on something aflcrap. Why were there so many Sydney/nsw people recording such an outcry to the two new stadia being built? And why was there no such outcry when money was spent upgrading the scg ans other stadia?

I can only guess but reading the posts and a few links maybe the following:

1. There are two stadia getting overhauled and possibly if only 1 there may not have been such an outcry. Even terry sees the Allianz pull down and rebuild as a waste.

2. Age of stadia. They aren’t that old really but I think most agree that an overhaul was needed. Leads to point three.

3. The bulldozing of the two stadia and rebuilding. This seems like a massive overkill and excess. Have the government sold the need for this. Doesn’t seem to pass the pub test.

4. For mine...if they are going to build a brand new stadium why not put it somewhere better (Allianz). Personal opinion.

As to why no such outcry for other stadia ... paramatter was seen as needed I feel. Sydney cricket ground was a refurb I think or new stand. Maybe there was a cost difference between upgrading the cricket ground, the Showgrounds, paranatter new stadium?

For me it just seems like rebuilding two stadia is excessive.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

a Face Lift was needed at Moore Park>>

but the reasoning behind it>> its still going to cost hundred+ million for the facelift>>

why not start fresh and rebuild a stadium for the future> is there logic.

(for me I would of been happy with Olympic Park rebuilt instead>>

and few extra to suburban grounds.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

For the future? Will they rebuild in 20 years.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:36 am
For the future? Will they rebuild in 20 years.
it has been stated both stadiums were not built correctly
Olympic Park being built for the Olympics than modified over time>

SFS lacks many facilities and needs a lot of fixing up...repairs costing in the 10's of millions.

what the government wants to do>> Is make sure these stadiums are done right> from the begining.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think if they say rebuilt one (no convinced Allianz needs rebuilding by the way) there would have been less outcry. I suspect doing two at once stands out as excessive at face value at least ... hence the outcry from many in nsw .. including fans of the codes to benefit:
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 pm
I think if they say rebuilt one (no convinced Allianz needs rebuilding by the way) there would have been less outcry. I suspect doing two at once stands out as excessive at face value at least ... hence the outcry from many in nsw .. including fans of the codes to benefit:
I agree Allianz shouldn't be getting a total rebuild>

SCG TRUST PUSHED its case for this to be done> and they have a big say..
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 pm
You said where was the fumbler outcry ....whereas it is the nsw people that are having the biggest outcry.
Nearly 70% of NSW residents opposed.
Almost 70 per cent of NSW residents opposed to Berejiklian stadium plan: survey

The Berejiklian government's plan to tear down and replace two Sydney stadiums has the strong support of 4 per cent of the state, according to a survey by a market research firm.

And the $2 billion plan is opposed by 67 per cent of respondents, according to the online survey of more than 1300 people.

The survey was conducted by market research and polling firm Micromex Research and Consulting, whose clients include local councils and state government agencies.

"That evidence and this evidence would suggest it is very out of place with the community's perception of what should be done," said Mr Reeve.

The survey gauged the views of Micromex's existing panel of participants. Four per cent of respondents were "very supportive" of the plan to rebuild Allianz Stadium at Moore Park and ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park, 9 per cent were "supportive", 20 per cent were "somewhat supportive", 24 per cent were "not very supportive" and 43 per cent were "not at all supportive".

"I think the most interesting thing is that there's 4 per cent in the top box and 43 per cent in the bottom box," Mr Reeve said.

The survey also asked respondents why they held their views. The 1320 responses, provided to the Herald, were often detailed and considered.

"Concerts are for the most part downsizing now (using ICC, Hordern Pavilion, Enmore and Qudos Arena instead of ANZ)," wrote one respondent.

"I'm suspicious. Why? Lack of transparency, mostly," wrote another.

"Upgrades as previously planned would address the issues of fixing amenities and addressing maintenance issues," wrote another.

Many who were supportive of the proposals agreed with the government the new stadiums would generate extra revenue.

"We have to compete on a world stage," said one strongly supportive respondent. "Major events to our cities increase wealth and employment."

Mr Reeve pointed to a survey Micromex had recently conducted for the Inner West Council as an indicator of the depth of hostility to the stadium plan.

When Micromex asked respondents in the inner west about their support for WestConnex, which is most controversial in that area, 28 per cent of respondents were either very supportive or supportive of the motorway.

In contrast, only 13 per cent of respondents to the stadium survey were either supportive or very supportive.

NSW Labor leader Luke Foley, who is campaigning in opposition to the stadium proposal, said the survey results were "proof that the people of NSW are opposed to knocking down and rebuilding two Sydney stadiums".

"I fear that the Government's next step will be a taxpayer-funded advertising campaign to try and sell this unpopular stadiums policy," Mr Foley said.

The Minister for Sport, Stuart Ayres, said the government would invest "100 times more" funding into health and education than stadiums over the next five years, and also pointed to safety concerns.

"Action on safety, security and compliance issues will not be determined through surveys," Mr Ayres said.

"The government has clear advice that Allianz Stadium will not be able to obtain an occupancy certificate past 2019. To ignore this kind of advice from professionals is simply irresponsible."

The announcement by Ms Berejiklian and Mr Ayres last month overturned the stadium funding plans of former premier Mike Baird. In April last year, Mr Baird said ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park would be refurbished, with any leftover funds from $1.6 billion spent refurbishing Allianz at Moore Park.

The government is already spending $300 million on a new stadium at Parramatta.

Ms Berejiklian's policy increases the stadium spending from a planned $1.6 billion to at least $2.5 billion, when the cost of buying ANZ Stadium is added.

Mr Reeve said that the survey respondents were "fairly randomised", but not completely so. "I don't see it as being problematic," he said.

The survey asked whether respondents were aware of the government's plans to rebuild the two stadiums, and whether they had visited either stadium in the past 12 months.

The survey then stated that "the $2 billion investment is intended to modernise the ageing facilities and increase capacity to attract more events and mark Sydney as Australia's number one event destination", and asked how supportive respondents were to the planned investment.

However, the plans do not increase capacity at the two stadiums.

Seventy-six per cent of respondents were aware of the stadium plans, and 38 per cent had visited either Allianz or ANZ in the past year.

Jacob Saulwick

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/almost-70-per ... 08g77.html
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 pm
Spot on Fred. the fumblers deals are made under the table and very rarely see the light of day. If they are the Melbourne people are easily led.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys