AFL bid for ANZ Stadium to become an oval stadium could cost NSW the NRL grand final

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL bid for ANZ Stadium to become an oval stadium could cost NSW the NRL grand final

Post by Beaussie »

Really starting to get tired of the whining from the NRL about ANZ Stadium.

Why shouldn't Sydney's biggest stadium remain capable of hosting all sports?

Ironic isn't it that if the NRL don't get their way to lock out oval based sports at ANZ Stadium, they are threatening to take the NRL grand final to an oval shaped stadium like the MCG. I don't hear the NRL having issues with playing State of Origin at the oval shaped MCG every second bloody year.

FFS, the NRL is already getting a brand new Parramatta Stadium and appears to also be getting a brand new Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park. This despite their crowds decreasing to an average of just 15,000 odd. Hey NRL, take your GF away from Sydney. I'm sure that will go down well with your dwindling supporter base in Sydney.
Ben Horne & Tom Smithies, The Daily Telegraph
October 24, 2017 8:35pm

SYDNEY risks losing the NRL grand final if the State Government bows to a stunning move from the AFL to hijack plans for transforming ANZ Stadium.

The Daily Telegraph has exclusively obtained a letter from Victorian-based AFL supremo Gillon McLachlan to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, where he pushes a claim for ANZ to be maintained as an oval-shaped venue in the looming $1.6 billion stadiums allocation.

The brazen bid comes despite the AFL and the Sydney Swans virtually abandoning the Olympic Stadium over the past 12 months as the game struggles to fill neighbouring Spotless Stadium, even for elimination finals matches.

The NRL has responded by warning the city could lose a 20-year guarantee to host the grand final, as well as State of Origin matches, if a Memorandum of Understanding they have with the NSW Government to make the transformation of ANZ Stadium into a world-class rectangular venue the No. 1 priority is broken.

“We would expect the terms of that MOU to be delivered so we can guarantee our biggest rugby league matches will remain in Sydney for the next two decades — something which will provide hundreds of millions of tourism dollars to the state’s economy,” said an NRL spokesman.

The MOU the NRL has with the State Government includes the rebuild of Parramatta Stadium and an upgrade of Allianz Stadium, and in return the pledge is to keep league blockbusters in Sydney.

As well as vying to railroad the hopes of rugby league and soccer with ANZ Stadium, the AFL’s list of requests include a specific emphasis on the redevelopment of the Brewongle-Churchill and O’Reilly Stands at the SCG being an urgent priority as well as pitching up for Spotless Stadium to have its capacity increased to up to 35,000.

“We believe the opportunity cost of prioritising such redevelopments (of ANZ and Allianz Stadium) at the expense of oval venues and fans of oval-based sports should be contemplated in any business case that determines the Government’s priorities with respect to stadium investment,” said McLachlan of his specific request for maintaining the “ability for ANZ Stadium to host oval sports where large crowds are expected”.

Football Federation Australia has also hit back at the AFL’s Johnny-come-lately approach, reiterating that a state-of-the-art rectangular ANZ Stadium was the clear priority for the city.

“You can’t blame them for trying though they’ve come to the party a bit late,” said FFA chief executive David Gallop.

“The priority should be the development of world-class rectangular stadiums. Football has led the way with the demand for a high quality stadium at Parramatta.

“We have already had 50,000 plus crowds five times this year at ANZ and Honduras is still to come. Those fans deserve a better facility and this city needs to compete against Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane.”

The AFL also wants academies created at Moore Park and upgraded at Sydney Olympic Park to support both Sydney Swans and GWS Giants’ women’s and girls’ teams.

As reported in The Daily Telegraph, they have joined forces with Cricket Australia in their bid for a $400 million slice of the pie and McLachlan wants the SCG upgraded by the 2022 Ashes series.

McLachlan points out that the Brewongle-Churchill and O’Reilly stands were built in 1980 and 1984 respectively and “do not meet the minimum guidelines of the AFL”, with the SCG ranked “last or second last” for facilities and amenities of the league’s nine major stadiums venues.

However, the AFL’s audacious lobbying for ANZ Stadium to remain an Oval is the one set to most polarise opinion — particularly given the Sydney Swans severed ties with the Olympic venue last year at the urging of members.

“We believe the total financial contribution required of the NSW Government to achieve all the aforementioned items would be circa $400m,” said McLachlan, who used the 60,022 that turned out for the 2016 Sydney Swans v GWS Giants Sydney AFL Finals’ derby as his case in point.

“This represents approximately 25 per cent of the current $1.6 billion committed to stadiums in NSW. This would leave the remaining funds to support other stadiums in the network.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... fec62cfe41
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL bid for ANZ Stadium to become an oval stadium could cost NSW the NRL grand final

Post by Fred »

Bloody daily telegraph
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: AFL bid for ANZ Stadium to become an oval stadium could cost NSW the NRL grand final

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol ..Beas hypocrisy is breathtaking
Having a crack at the biggest sport in Syd wanting a proper rectangle stadium .
Then you have a go at the NRL about a new parra stadium ..plus maybe another
This comes after the Swans get the SCG upgraded
& the midgets get a brand new stadium .

2 Aflol teams ..both have new or recently upgraded stadiums ..yet now you think they need a third .

Reminds me of the Qld aflol teams wanting another when they already have one each .

Disgusting leeches never happy with what they have .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I read this article last night>>

and I was stunned that the AFL CEO would actually even do a thing like this>>

they Clearly know this is NRL HEADQUARTERS>>
and makes no sense what so ever..

only to sabotage something that can be great for the NRL

I tell you what makes me more annoyed with AFL Corps more and more>
when they do $hit like this
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

Well given the continued dwindling crowds over the years for the NRL and pathetic crowds for their finals series the NRLol should be at least great full for the new parramatta venue and Allianz stadium apparently getting a full rebound
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
post_hoc
Coach
Coach
Team: Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Post by post_hoc »

AFL are joking right?

They got $100's of millions from Government already, they got Spotless, they got blacktown they got SCG revamped, they got an academy for GWS. I no how they are so bloody rich they don't pay for anything themselves.

The hide of them demanding the government pay for an academy for girls for Swans and Giants, can't they use the existing ones for the boys? Wanderers have put in $18 million to build there academy in Blacktown and then share it with local football teams. Now this academy is for boys girls men and women, as it should be. reminder that football has had a female professional national competition alot longer than the AFL. The AFL have to be the biggest bludgers of any professional sporting body. I think there is time for a independent inquiry into the AFL and Politicians, seems very corrupt to me.
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Football has 22% more players than the other football codes combined
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

No look at when the venues were built
A new stadium in Parra for some bizarre reason! Several hundred million for an extra 10 k of seats

ANZ stadium was built in 1999
Allianz stadium was built in the early 90s has had up grades and renovations since and is a purpose built rectangular stadium.

Then throw in the crowds that the 3 codes draw :(/
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Wookie will know but I thought the afl contributed financially ? Also wasn’t scg upgrade also for cricket ?
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You do have to wonder about the nrl admin competency ... do we blame the afl for doing the best for them ? If they are able to garner deals to their benefit should they not be applauded ? The nrl should be doing similar... they should be able to sell this to the governments. I believe the afl sell it on there being a benefit to the community and that it is cheaper for the government to do it this way. Anyway.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

This info was posted at another site
From what I can see it's correct

14 years ago in 2003,the Sydney Olympic Stadium was reconfigured to allow retractable seating for AFL.This change is design was hijacked by the AFL to give their sport an outlet to allow atttendances over 65,000 in Sydney

Since 2003,Attendances over 65,000 at Sydney Olympic/ANZ Stadium.

NRL = 36 Attendances over 65,000
Rugby Union = 17 Attendances over 65,000
Football(Soccer) = 11 Attendances over 65,000
AFL = 2 Attendances over 65,000 (back in 2003 only)

Year Crowd Code Match
2017 79,722 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2017 83,221 Football WSW v Arsenal
2017 82,259 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2017 80,432 Football Syd v Arsenal
2017 72,892 Football Syd v Liverpool
2016 83,625 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2016 80,251 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2016 65,238 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2015 83,598 Football Syd vs Chelsea
2015 82,758 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2015 80,122 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2015 76,385 Football Aus vs South Korea
2015 73,824 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2015 71,549 Football Syd vs Tottenham
2014 83,833 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2014 83,421 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2014 68,627 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2013 83,813 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2013 83,702 Rugby Union Wallabies v British & Irish Lions
2013 83,127 Football A-League All Stars v Manchester United
2013 81,491 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2013 80,523 Football Aus vs Iraq
2013 80,380 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2013 68,765 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2012 83,110 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2012 82,976 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2012 76,877 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2012 70,354 Rugby League NRL Prelim Final
2011 81,988 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2011 81,965 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2010 82,334 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2010 71,212 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2010 70,288 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2010 68,753 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2009 82,538 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2009 80,459 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2009 80,228 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2009 74,549 Rugby League NRL Prelim Final
2009 70,054 Football Aus vs China
2008 80,388 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2008 78,944 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2008 78,751 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2008 67,620 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2007 81,392 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2007 80,295 Football Syd vs LA Galaxy
2007 76,924 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2006 79,609 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2006 72,773 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2005 82,698 Football WCQ: Socceroos v Uruguay
2005 82,453 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2005 82,389 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2005 82,309 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2004 83,418 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2004 82,487 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2004 82,127 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2004 68,344 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2003 82,957 Rugby Union RWC: Final - AUS v ENG
2003 82,444 Rugby Union RWC: Semi Final 1
2003 82,346 Rugby Union RWC France vs England
2003 82,096 Rugby Union Wallabies v New Zealand
2003 81,350 Rugby Union RWC Aus vs Arg
2003 81,166 Rugby League NRL Grand Final
2003 80,012 Rugby Union RWC NZ vs Wales
2003 79,132 Rugby League State of Origin: NSW v QLD
2003 78,974 Rugby Union RWC Fra vs Sco
2003 72,393 AFL Syd vs Coll
2003 71,019 AFL Syd vs Bris

No fucking need for AFl to have any say in what happens in Syd
The last two stadiums with big $$$ spent on them were you guessed it ...the two afl stadiums in Syd .
Yet now RL Ru & SOKKA look like getting a proper modern rectangular stadium ..this mob want to torpedo it .

If you fumblers cannot see why the afl is despised by fans of the 3 sports mentioned above then there's no hope for you .

🤣
Xman wrote
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:31 am
post_hoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm
AFL are joking right?

They got $100's of millions from Government already, they got Spotless, they got blacktown they got SCG revamped, they got an academy for GWS. I no how they are so bloody rich they don't pay for anything themselves.

The hide of them demanding the government pay for an academy for girls for Swans and Giants, can't they use the existing ones for the boys? Wanderers have put in $18 million to build there academy in Blacktown and then share it with local football teams. Now this academy is for boys girls men and women, as it should be. reminder that football has had a female professional national competition alot longer than the AFL. The AFL have to be the biggest bludgers of any professional sporting body. I think there is time for a independent inquiry into the AFL and Politicians, seems very corrupt to me.

Ill note that

1) The AFL contributed 2.5 million to Blacktown, as did Cricket NSW.
2) The AFL contributed 10 million to the Showground development.
3) the AFL contributed several million to the reconfiguring of ANZ Stadium in 2001, and has supplied ANZ Stadium management with a 5 million line of credit since 2001, until it was bought back by the NSW Gov
4) The SCG was upgraded for the Cricket World Cup. The AFL was just a bonus - as it has always been at the SCG.
5) The GIants training facility was jointly funded by the NSW Gov and the AFL.
The whole things seems ridiculous, AFL never used ANZ once this year.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:46 am
The_Wookie wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:31 am
post_hoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm
AFL are joking right?

Ill note that

1) The AFL contributed 2.5 million to Blacktown, as did Cricket NSW.
2) The AFL contributed 10 million to the Showground development.
3) the AFL contributed several million to the reconfiguring of ANZ Stadium in 2001, and has supplied ANZ Stadium management with a 5 million line of credit since 2001, until it was bought back by the NSW Gov
4) The SCG was upgraded for the Cricket World Cup. The AFL was just a bonus - as it has always been at the SCG.
5) The GIants training facility was jointly funded by the NSW Gov and the AFL.
The whole things seems ridiculous, AFL never used ANZ once this year.
The whole thing is hilarious!
It’s the typical nrlol and aye league, they have their club grounds then the larger venues and all bar the majority of the time draw pathetic crowds!
The clubs and codes contribute jack shit to the venue except they have the opinion when there is a whiff of money about they jump up and down and think they are automatically entitled to the money and have it spent their way

Lol little minnows
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Minnow minnow
You ignored my post above .
Why is that
Facts don't agree with your alternate reality .

The last 2 stadiums in syd with big $$ spent on them were afl stadiums
Both teams in Syd ..the only two teams. Have upgraded or new stadia .
Now the 3 other codes who need a updated rectangular stadium are looking like getting it done have this vic greedy mob trying to sabotage it .

Yet you can't see a problem with that

A stadium they don't even use anymore have not even got close to filling since the early 2000s is supposed to be wrecked viewing wise to appease the Victorian afl mob
Fuck off

& why won't you comment on the crowd list posted above .
You always rant about crowds yet you ignored that post .

🤣
Xman wrote
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol you mention club teams
The old alf argument

The other sports I mentioned have other levels
& as shown in the list above ..when it comes to afl there is no comparison in crowds at ANZ .
They are way way down the list

Funny you ignored that to mention CLUB teams .

But I wouldn't expect anything else from AFl fans
They get their stadia updated then find as many reasons as possible for other sports not to .

🤣
Xman wrote
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:00 am
I didnt ignore it - I specifically mentioned the twice a year the NRL fills it.
Fucking learn to read.

Its not the stadium upgrades we find laughable, its the capacity being demanded by 2 leagues whose clubs never fill it beyond half. Oh wait, we'll have double headers now...

Oh and that wasnt a literal "never". I know how you fuckwits take everything literally.
Whatever you say my friend is irrelevant. The fumbling league will have no say in what goes on at ANZ stadium. It will be rectangular. The fumbling league is like the little kid at the back of the class screaming, 'look at me, look at me'. They'll get a little attention for a while, will be patted on the head, and the circus will move on.

You may as well save your breath for more important battles.