NRL Sanctioned Salary Cap Rorting for Storm and Cowboys

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

NRL Sanctioned Salary Cap Rorting for Storm and Cowboys

Post by Beaussie »

How do NRL fans put up with this? What a rort. Meanwhile the Melbourne Storm continue winning premierships. Level playing field?
MELBOURNE Storm and the North Queensland Cowboys have found a legal way to exploit next year’s salary cap by a combined $1.5 million in staging a testimonial game for Maroons legends Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston.

In a dangerous precedent, the NRL will allow the two clubs to play a trial match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane in February with all gate takings, sponsorship, merchandise and potential TV rights being shared by the two superstars.

They could become the code’s first $2 million stars by collecting up to $750,000 each — which is exempt from the salary cap — on top of their $1.3 million playing contracts.

The timing is interesting in that Smith, as president of the RLPA, is entangled in bitter negotiations with NRL powerbrokers over the collective bargaining agreement.

Melbourne Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy declined to comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Thursday.

His club could the benefit again next year by putting on a similar ‘charity’ game for Billy Slater.

Under the ‘testimonial’ arrangement, the Storm could hypothetically pay the champion fullback less than his market value but offer him up to $750,000 from a one-off game.

The code’s rules allow for testimonial matches but they are rarely approved by the NRL.

Given the status of these two players the NRL felt it was appropriate.

Both clubs and the players’ managers have worked on the loophole for a number of months.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said Smith and Thurston deserved the chance to play in a testimonial match.

“We do not approve these matches lightly but there is no doubt these are two of the best players to play the game,” he said.

“Not only have they reached the highest level in representing their State and country but they have done it in style.

“They are both a credit to the game and fans deserve the chance to pay respect to them.”

It also opens the door for rival clubs to escape salary cap pressure by offering other long-time champions like Paul Gallen at the Cronulla Sharks a money-making swan song.

It is interesting in that Smith has been one of the most vocal critics of the NRL in the recent pay dispute.

He has even threatened to boycott the Dally M Awards by recently saying: “If it’s the right thing to do for our playing group I’m willing to sacrifice that night.”

‘Off the record’ conversations with club chief executives indicate there will be a backlash.

Especially at clubs like the Canterbury Bulldogs who are desperately trying to move players on but unaware that players like their skipper James Graham could also have been offered a testimonial.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n ... fcaf2eb105
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: NRL Sanctioned Salary Cap Rorting for Storm and Cowboys

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh my
An AFL fan posting about salary cap cheating .
Bea
Always good good for the giggles with his stupidity
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

But but but
The usual shit take the moral high ground and point the finger at the afl bit ignore the same thing going on in the nrlol!

Usual hypocritical shit from you nrlol fans
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

You call it the same
You braindead flog
There is nothing similar at all .
The AFL salary cap rorting for clubs has been going on for years & years .
Club after club
Lions ..till they won a few flags ..lol flags
Swans ..till they won a few flags ...still on going .
Midgets..will be on going till they win a few .
All instigated by AFL house to ensure the success of these teams .

The NRL players are already signed .
This is a golden handshake at the end of their careers ..for 2 players who will be immortals of RL down the track .
For their service to RL
Will it be controversial ..prob
Is the $$$ they make from this game affect their club...or why they signed. No .
Was this money mentioned before they signed ..no
It had no impact on the $$$ they signed for ..or why they stayed at their club .
The AFL & NRL are nothing alike when it cones to salary cap .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

this has only been known for like 2 months >>>

HERE HERE on AFLCRAP's comments.