AFL’s China experiment should have NRL fans worried and asking why we weren’t there first

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Re: AFL’s China experiment should have NRL fans worried and asking why we weren’t there first

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Fred wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:52 am
You do realise the point of the game was not about growing the game in China ?
If you say so Fred :lol: The soul reason sports play exhibition games in foreign nations is to grow their sports fanbase.
And in AFLs case it has failed miserably multiple times. :(/
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: AFL’s China experiment should have NRL fans worried and asking why we weren’t there first

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 pm
If you say so Fred :lol: The soul reason sports play exhibition games in foreign nations is to grow their sports fanbase.
Oh dear. You totally ignored the following part from the article in OP I see. :roll:
The true cleverness of the AFL’s move into China has nothing to do with being a “household name” in China.
In all likelihood the Power-Suns game in China was little to do with conquering the world, although you can never underestimate them.

It’s immediate benefit is making the game viable to the thousands of Chinese immigrants in Australia right now. It is a market almost completely untouched.

And the seduction would have less to do with trying to cultivate a Chinese player — who would become an instant star within the Chinese community, generating thousands of unspent dollars — than it is to do with the larger Chinese community already settled but yet to find a major sport to identify with.

The result will be rivers of gold, which the AFL has recognised.

Meanwhile, the NRL heads to Perth this weekend for a one-off between Melbourne and Souths, a place where we have no plans for expansion or anything else really.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... ec5882cdff
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Oh dear .
Bea having a massive jerk over a DT article .

The rampant stupidity in it should be highlighted .
I suspect the fumblers will ignore the reality .

Can anyone tell me how Kent knows the Chinese people in Australia are an untouched market .
Can you tell how he knows which sport they prefer .
Can you tell me how he knows they don't have a sport to identify with .
How does he know they're actually looking for a sport ..lol

Rivers of gold ..Jesus Christ ..

Here's an example of the stupidity of that rationale
When RL took a SOO game to The U.S. ..did the ex pat yanks over here suddenly go .
Wow that sport played a game in my old home country ..I'm gunna follow it .

Lol
The idiocy of that thinking is why the DT is laughed at .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

Beaussie wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:16 pm
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 pm
Oh dear. You totally ignored the following part from the article in OP I see. :roll:
The true cleverness of the AFL’s move into China has nothing to do with being a “household name” in China.
In all likelihood the Power-Suns game in China was little to do with conquering the world, although you can never underestimate them.

It’s immediate benefit is making the game viable to the thousands of Chinese immigrants in Australia right now. It is a market almost completely untouched.

And the seduction would have less to do with trying to cultivate a Chinese player — who would become an instant star within the Chinese community, generating thousands of unspent dollars — than it is to do with the larger Chinese community already settled but yet to find a major sport to identify with.

The result will be rivers of gold, which the AFL has recognised.

Meanwhile, the NRL heads to Perth this weekend for a one-off between Melbourne and Souths, a place where we have no plans for expansion or anything else really.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... ec5882cdff
You can talk all the crap you want about the article. Exhibition matches are still to promote sports. And was a very poor effort by AFL.

College American Football did a better job in Australia. :lol:
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
🇭🇲

UK Rugby League
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Port organised the match ... paid Gold Coast to take their home game there. They wanted sponsors . And we're successful I hear. They also wanted Chinese business to see afl as a vehicle if wanting to promote their business in Australia. Port wanted to jump on that...... although heawai? Are with the suns ... go figure ... and we're added to the jumper on the day although already a sponsor.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Port organised the match ... paid Gold Coast to take their home game there. They wanted sponsors . And we're successful I hear. They also wanted Chinese business to see afl as a vehicle if wanting to promote their business in Australia. Port wanted to jump on that...... although heawai? Are with the suns ... go figure ... and we're added to the jumper on the day although already a sponsor.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I wonder if this will become a yearly game or a once every few years etc..

I also think this Expo Game was also paid by the Government of AUS
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The_Wookie wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm
I wonder if this will become a yearly game or a once every few years etc..
AFL is indicating it will rubber stamp next years game, and Port want a game there every year for at least the next 5.
I also think this Expo Game was also paid by the Government of AUS
Tourism Australia, and the SA Government were both sponsors, amongst 20 partners who paid for the event.
This I was not fully aware of to this degree..

But having Tourism Aust & state government on board is huge..

China is where our biggest tourists come from..

this DEAL can only become a stronger one.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

The_Wookie wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:18 am
post_hoc wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am

If that is what you need to tell yourself, then who am I to stop you. The simple fact is the football community where laughing at your expense.

You want to see real outrage from football at the AFL look at ticketteks dumb promo for the Brazil Australia match.
Soccer fans barely need an excuse to bitch at the best of times. Witness the bitching over the match broadcast on ABC2 the other night - they are lucky the game was broadcast at all. No one wanted the damn thing - not even Fox - whom the Telegraph wrote wouldnt even pay the $80,000 in production costs.
They got a good crowd though. If the A league merged with the the EPL, the interest in professional football would skyrocket.
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
🇭🇲

UK Rugby League
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Just because the NRL itself isn't doing stuff all as usual doesn't mean Rugby League itself isn't moving in China, don't let the Aussie media know, they could have a heart attack printing some real news instead of the made up shit in Ruperts Illuminated head.

https://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leag ... lans/69286

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php ... kle-china/

https://twitter.com/lasttacklemedia?lang=en
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

yes, yes, any journo out there reading this, I hate you all, not one of you have the balls nor gumption to tell the truth ever, you just print what that old serpent wants you to print, so morally superior you are, yes bend over whilst Rupert rogers you.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

& that's the problem with the insular bubble thinking of the southern hicks .
Their whole world revolves around Victardiiiia & the afl .
Any comparison with RL is made only in this country ...lol they even discount SOO ..
Any comparison can only be domestic comp v domestic comp
Let's discount SOOInternationals
We can't count NZ ratings even though they are a part of the comp
Blah blah
It's a very very narrow insular point of view .
There's a whole world out there
RL is a small part of it but at least we have a part .
Different Rl countries & comps have different set ups ..different agendas

It's not just the NRL .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You can count nz ratings just don't use them to argue rl is more popular in Australia. Makes perfect sense.

This whole thing about afl or Aussie rules being Victorian fails to take into account that it is the dominant code in tassie, south Australia, Western Australia, and Northern Territory. That it has a strong presence in other areas such as Riverina, broken hill region, Gold Coast and in Brisbane... with strong grassroots across the nation ... something the likes of which rl would die for.

As for international presence, it seems to me that most posts on here lately about this are from rl people. Australian Rulrs is australuas game and that's fine by me and it seems others here. Sure, they may look to play games overseas and have or had an eye to nz but that is neither here nor there... if they don't get on board then who cares. Afl is by far the biggest sporting organisation. In this country. They are in that position. Because they haven't sat on their hands the last 30 years. Look at where the afl and Aussie rules is now compared to rl. Rugby league hardly has any players from non traditional states and thus reflects how little it has grown. Look at afl. How many players are there from qld and nsw who have come through the local system?
Veni, vidi, vici
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

lol, if and when the NRL puts teams in other states, they'll have support. You seem to think RL has no history at all in these states yet how come all the touring sides used to stop off in all the states and territories (bar Tasmania) and play state sides and or clubs and have done since way back in the 1940's? They only stopped really in the 90's when the SL was made and the UK clubs switched to summer meaning the old tours from the Poms and the French and Kiwis stopped.

I have old books here with crowds and gate receipts going back to some of the first tours of those states. Heck even South Australia was an annual stop off and used to average around 10k in some old stadium over there. Not bad considering they had no real contact with the rl heartlands like today and they had no TV when it all started. So there must have been interest and there is still interest. The NRL have yet to tap into it properly.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

ParraEelsNRL wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 am
lol, if and when the NRL puts teams in other states, they'll have support. You seem to think RL has no history at all in these states yet how come all the touring sides used to stop off in all the states and territories (bar Tasmania) and play state sides and or clubs and have done since way back in the 1940's? They only stopped really in the 90's when the SL was made and the UK clubs switched to summer meaning the old tours from the Poms and the French and Kiwis stopped.

I have old books here with crowds and gate receipts going back to some of the first tours of those states. Heck even South Australia was an annual stop off and used to average around 10k in some old stadium over there. Not bad considering they had no real contact with the rl heartlands like today and they had no TV when it all started. So there must have been interest and there is still interest. The NRL have yet to tap into it properly.
the ratings for NRL from WA and SA are horrendous. Good luck expanding there